Old 05-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Eric Bélanger

Default Removal of skill and snice from procps-ng

Hi,

In the new 3.3.3 upstream update of procps-ng, the skill and snice
utilities are no longer built by default. According to the man page:
"These tools are obsolete and unportable. The command syntax is
poorly defined. Consider using the killall, pkill, and pgrep commands
instead."

I would like to know if there are any objections in removing them from
the procps-ng package and, more importantly, if there are any packages
or scripts in the repos that use these tools. If so, we should create
a TODO list to port them to using killall, pkill, and pgrep instead.
We could also keep supplying these tools until upstream decides to
remove them for good.

Another way to handle this would be to include them but warn users
with a post-install message and/or front page news that they will go
away in the next procps-ng update. This way, everyone will be warned
and will have enough time to update their packages and any custom
scripts. That might be the best option especially if no one knows if
there are used in packages or not.

Eric

Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Dave Reisner

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:40:44PM -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the new 3.3.3 upstream update of procps-ng, the skill and snice
> utilities are no longer built by default. According to the man page:
> "These tools are obsolete and unportable. The command syntax is
> poorly defined. Consider using the killall, pkill, and pgrep commands
> instead."
>
> I would like to know if there are any objections in removing them from
> the procps-ng package and, more importantly, if there are any packages
> or scripts in the repos that use these tools. If so, we should create
> a TODO list to port them to using killall, pkill, and pgrep instead.
> We could also keep supplying these tools until upstream decides to
> remove them for good.
>
> Another way to handle this would be to include them but warn users
> with a post-install message and/or front page news that they will go
> away in the next procps-ng update. This way, everyone will be warned
> and will have enough time to update their packages and any custom
> scripts. That might be the best option especially if no one knows if
> there are used in packages or not.
>
> Eric

+1 to dropping outright. Semi-related point of interest -- Redhat has
been throwing around the idea of asking procps-ng to merge with
util-linux.