-   -   new package: hwids (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/668874-new-package-hwids.html)

Tom Gundersen 05-20-2012 03:35 PM

new package: hwids

Hi guys,

I'd like to propose the addition of a new package, hwids, to [core].

The package would provide /usr/share/hwdata/{pci,usb}.ids and the
upstream would be [0], maintained by Diego Elio Pettenò from Gentoo
and yours truly.

The purpose of this new package is as follows:

* let the package manager keep the hwids databases up-to-date without
having to update the {usb,pci}utils packages
* drop update-* scripts from {usb,pci}utils as we don't want programs
writing to /usr (and it would not be needed any longer as I expect to
update the hwids package whenever the files change).
* let packages where this makes sense, such as udev, depend on hwids
rather than on {usb,pci}utils (which might one day allow us to move
some stuff from [core] to [extra], and certainly out of [base]).

Cheers,

Tom

[0]: https://github.com/Flameeyes/hwids

Dan McGee 05-20-2012 03:41 PM

new package: hwids

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to propose the addition of a new package, hwids, to [core].
>
> The package would provide /usr/share/hwdata/{pci,usb}.ids and the
> upstream would be [0], maintained by Diego Elio Pettenò from Gentoo
> and yours truly.

+1

Tobias Powalowski 05-20-2012 03:50 PM

new package: hwids

Am 20.05.2012 17:41, schrieb Dan McGee:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'd like to propose the addition of a new package, hwids, to [core].
>>
>> The package would provide /usr/share/hwdata/{pci,usb}.ids and the
>> upstream would be [0], maintained by Diego Elio Pettenò from Gentoo
>> and yours truly.
> +1
+1

--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Tom Gundersen 05-21-2012 12:48 AM

new package: hwids

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> I'd like to propose the addition of a new package, hwids, to [core].

I put hwids+pciutils+usbutils in staging. I'll leave it in there for a
few days to give people the chance to object.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Gundersen 05-23-2012 08:46 PM

new package: hwids

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:48 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>> I'd like to propose the addition of a new package, hwids, to [core].
>
> I put hwids+pciutils+usbutils in staging. I'll leave it in there for a
> few days to give people the chance to object.

Packages now moved to [core].

@Tobias: nothnig in [core] now needs {usb,pci}utils so they can move
out of base, and probably even to [extra] (but I'll leave that to
you).

Cheers,

Tom