FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default Dropping squirrelmail

Hi all,

FYI: I plan to drop squirrelmail from [extra]. It is orphaned and it
wont work with PHP 5.4. (According to pkgstats it has no users anyway)

Greetings,

Pierre

--
Pierre Schmitz, https://pierre-schmitz.com
 
Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Genes MailLists
 
Default Dropping squirrelmail

On 05/05/2012 10:32 AM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> FYI: I plan to drop squirrelmail from [extra]. It is orphaned and it
> wont work with PHP 5.4. (According to pkgstats it has no users anyway)
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre
>

Actually just fyi - according to their website it will work with PHP 5.4:

http://squirrelmail.org:

Mar 29, 2012 by Paul Lesniewski
With the recent release of PHP version 5.4, some community members
have helped identify some small issues which we've fixed and made
available in our daily snapshot packages located on our downloads page.
Especially if you use the Mail Fetch plugin and want to upgrade to PHP
5.4, you should download one of our snapshot packages.

What do you all recommend for webmail - roundcube or something else?

gene
 
Old 05-05-2012, 03:50 PM
XeCycle
 
Default Dropping squirrelmail

Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> writes:


[...]

> What do you all recommend for webmail - roundcube or something else?

My school uses Zimbra. I however don't use it, I'd go with my
Gnus.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
OpenPGP public key: 7795E591
Fingerprint: 1FB6 7F1F D45D F681 C845 27F7 8D71 8EC4 7795 E591
 
Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 AM
C Anthony Risinger
 
Default Dropping squirrelmail

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 10:32 AM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> FYI: I plan to drop squirrelmail from [extra]. It is orphaned and it
>> wont work with PHP 5.4. (According to pkgstats it has no users anyway)
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Pierre
>>
>
> *Actually just fyi - according to their website it will work with PHP 5.4:
>
> *http://squirrelmail.org:
>
> Mar 29, 2012 by Paul Lesniewski
> * * * * With the recent release of PHP version 5.4, some community members
> have helped identify some small issues which we've fixed and made
> available in our daily snapshot packages located on our downloads page.
> Especially if you use the Mail Fetch plugin and want to upgrade to PHP
> 5.4, you should download one of our snapshot packages.
>
> *What do you all recommend for webmail - roundcube or something else?

it's quite a bit more than just webmail, but i used it some time ago
with great success (the AUR package is originally by me, and
interestingly enough, also my first one :-) ...

demo:

https://demo.zarafa.com/

AUR:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31174

other:

http://community.zarafa.com/
http://download.zarafa.com/community/

... easily the nicest mail webapp i've ever used, and intergrates well
with MTAs, including Exchange. they are the originators of zPush,
which implements the ActiveSync protocol (mail, calendar, etc).

--

C Anthony
 
Old 05-07-2012, 02:20 PM
David Rosenstrauch
 
Default Dropping squirrelmail

On 05/05/2012 11:27 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:

On 05/05/2012 10:32 AM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:

Hi all,

FYI: I plan to drop squirrelmail from [extra]. It is orphaned and it
wont work with PHP 5.4. (According to pkgstats it has no users anyway)

Greetings,

Pierre


pkgstats is wrong. I use it, and have for years.

DR
 
Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Jelle van der Waa
 
Default Dropping squirrelmail

On 07/05/12 16:20, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 11:27 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>> On 05/05/2012 10:32 AM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> FYI: I plan to drop squirrelmail from [extra]. It is orphaned and it
>>> wont work with PHP 5.4. (According to pkgstats it has no users anyway)
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Pierre
>
> pkgstats is wrong. I use it, and have for years.
>
> DR
Then you didn't install pkgstats and have had it running

--
Jelle van der Waa
 
Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM
David Rosenstrauch
 
Default Dropping squirrelmail

On 05/07/2012 01:12 PM, Jelle van der Waa wrote:

On 07/05/12 16:20, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

On 05/05/2012 11:27 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:

On 05/05/2012 10:32 AM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:

Hi all,

FYI: I plan to drop squirrelmail from [extra]. It is orphaned and it
wont work with PHP 5.4. (According to pkgstats it has no users anyway)

Greetings,

Pierre


pkgstats is wrong. I use it, and have for years.

DR

Then you didn't install pkgstats and have had it running


Nope. Have had pkgstats installed since 2008:

[darose@darsys12 log]$ grep pkgstats pacman.log
[2008-11-07 10:50] installed pkgstats (1.0-2)
[2009-10-29 22:06] upgraded pkgstats (1.0-2 -> 1.0-3)
[2010-09-10 16:25] Running 'pacman -S encfs hwdetect acidrip chromium
libmysqlclient mysql-clients pacman pkgstats vlc pacman-mirrorlist'

[2010-09-10 16:25] upgraded pkgstats (1.0-3 -> 2.0-2)
[2010-09-29 16:27] Running 'pacman -S thunderbird xterm openssh k3b qt
kernel26 kernel26-headers man-pages nspluginwrapper pkgstats dosfstools
dnsutils linux-firmware lftp xulrunner'
[2010-09-29 16:33] Note: A weekly cronjob was installed to
/etc/cron.weekly/pkgstats

[2010-09-29 16:33] upgraded pkgstats (2.0-2 -> 2.1-4)
[2011-05-25 22:01] Running 'pacman -S encfs frostwire file gparted
pidgin libpurple libxfce4util mkinitcpio pkgstats rsync xz'
[2011-05-25 22:02] Running 'pacman -S encfs frostwire file gparted
pidgin libpurple libxfce4util pkgstats rsync xz'

[2011-05-25 22:02] upgraded pkgstats (2.1-4 -> 2.1-5)
[2011-12-15 13:54] Running 'pacman -S pkgstats'


And (as far as I know) its weekly cron job has been running
successfully. Just ran it again by hand now to make sure:


[root@darsys12 log]# su -s /bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/pkgstats -q' nobody


Anyway, bottom line is: I don't think your assumption that squirrelmail
has no users in Arch is correct.


DR
 
Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Eric Bélanger
 
Default Dropping squirrelmail

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose@darose.net> wrote:
> On 05/07/2012 01:12 PM, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
>>
>> On 07/05/12 16:20, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>>>
>>> On 05/05/2012 11:27 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On 05/05/2012 10:32 AM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>
>>>>> FYI: I plan to drop squirrelmail from [extra]. It is orphaned and it
>>>>> wont work with PHP 5.4. (According to pkgstats it has no users anyway)
>>>>>
>>>>> Greetings,
>>>>>
>>>>> Pierre
>>>
>>>
>>> pkgstats is wrong. *I use it, and have for years.
>>>
>>> DR
>>
>> Then you didn't install pkgstats and have had it running
>
>
> Nope. *Have had pkgstats installed since 2008:
>
> [darose@darsys12 log]$ grep pkgstats pacman.log
> [2008-11-07 10:50] installed pkgstats (1.0-2)
> [2009-10-29 22:06] upgraded pkgstats (1.0-2 -> 1.0-3)
> [2010-09-10 16:25] Running 'pacman -S encfs hwdetect acidrip chromium
> libmysqlclient mysql-clients pacman pkgstats vlc pacman-mirrorlist'
> [2010-09-10 16:25] upgraded pkgstats (1.0-3 -> 2.0-2)
> [2010-09-29 16:27] Running 'pacman -S thunderbird xterm openssh k3b qt
> kernel26 kernel26-headers man-pages nspluginwrapper pkgstats dosfstools
> dnsutils linux-firmware lftp xulrunner'
> [2010-09-29 16:33] Note: A weekly cronjob was installed to
> /etc/cron.weekly/pkgstats
> [2010-09-29 16:33] upgraded pkgstats (2.0-2 -> 2.1-4)
> [2011-05-25 22:01] Running 'pacman -S encfs frostwire file gparted pidgin
> libpurple libxfce4util mkinitcpio pkgstats rsync xz'
> [2011-05-25 22:02] Running 'pacman -S encfs frostwire file gparted pidgin
> libpurple libxfce4util pkgstats rsync xz'
> [2011-05-25 22:02] upgraded pkgstats (2.1-4 -> 2.1-5)
> [2011-12-15 13:54] Running 'pacman -S pkgstats'
>
>
> And (as far as I know) its weekly cron job has been running successfully.
> *Just ran it again by hand now to make sure:
>
> [root@darsys12 log]# su -s /bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/pkgstats -q' nobody
>
>
> Anyway, bottom line is: *I don't think your assumption that squirrelmail has
> no users in Arch is correct.
>
> DR

pkgstats only shows packages with more than 1% usage. Squirrelmail
might have users but it's less than 1%, i.e. not enough to keep it in
repo.
 
Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 AM
"Armando M. Baratti"
 
Default Dropping squirrelmail

On 07-05-2012 20:58, Eric Bélanger wrote:
pkgstats only shows packages with more than 1% usage. Squirrelmail
might have users but it's less than 1%, i.e. not enough to keep it in
repo.


Or, maybe, only 1% of Arch users use pkgstats and it's dangerous to take
decisions based on it
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org