Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Andrea Scarpino

Default brynhild hardware testing

AndreaOn Thursday 03 May 2012 16:27:07 Scarpino wrote:
> "At my signal unleash hell" [cit.]
>
> Please wait until I finish to build and release the last KDE packages (~2
> hours).
Ok, done!

--
Andrea

Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Ionut Biru

On 05/03/2012 06:51 PM, Andrea Scarpino wrote:
> AndreaOn Thursday 03 May 2012 16:27:07 Scarpino wrote:
>> "At my signal unleash hell" [cit.]
>>
>> Please wait until I finish to build and release the last KDE packages (~2
>> hours).
> Ok, done!

Alright, the box is going down.

--
Ionuț

Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Ionut Biru

On 05/03/2012 09:24 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 06:51 PM, Andrea Scarpino wrote:
>> AndreaOn Thursday 03 May 2012 16:27:07 Scarpino wrote:
>>> "At my signal unleash hell" [cit.]
>>>
>>> Please wait until I finish to build and release the last KDE packages (~2
>>> hours).
>> Ok, done!
>>

> Alright, the box is going down.

Like I was expecting, they did not fond anything wrong with the hardware.

This server has a bad history with downtimes and I want to try to
replace the hardware with a new model that has the same cost, without
paying the setup fee, which is 149€.

If they don't want to drop the fee, is it ok to pay the setup ?

--
Ionuț

Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Ionut Biru

On 05/04/2012 12:29 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 09:24 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:

>>> Ok, done!
>>>

>> Alright, the box is going down.
>>

> Like I was expecting, they did not fond anything wrong with the hardware.
>
> This server has a bad history with downtimes and I want to try to
> replace the hardware with a new model that has the same cost, without
> paying the setup fee, which is 149€.
>
> If they don't want to drop the fee, is it ok to pay the setup ?

Like a side note, they offered to replace the server "without a specific
reason" for 39 €.

--
Ionuț

Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Florian Pritz

On 05/04/2012 11:41 AM, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 12:29 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:

>>> Alright, the box is going down.
>>>

>> Like I was expecting, they did not fond anything wrong with the hardware.
>>
>> This server has a bad history with downtimes and I want to try to
>> replace the hardware with a new model that has the same cost, without
>> paying the setup fee, which is 149€.
>>
>> If they don't want to drop the fee, is it ok to pay the setup ?
>>

> Like a side note, they offered to replace the server "without a specific
> reason" for 39 €.

Aparently they made a mistake. It's not 39€, but rather 69€ if you ask
for a replacement.

I think we should order an EX4 (newer version, with bigger disks, more
ram and fast cpu) for 49€/month and pay the 149€ setup.

Next canellation date is 10/5/2012, so if possible, we should decide in
the next few days.

--
Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net

Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 04.05.2012 14:49, schrieb Florian Pritz:
> On 05/04/2012 11:41 AM, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> On 05/04/2012 12:29 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> Like a side note, they offered to replace the server "without a specific
>> reason" for 39 €.
>>
> Aparently they made a mistake. It's not 39€, but rather 69€ if you ask
> for a replacement.
>
> I think we should order an EX4 (newer version, with bigger disks, more
> ram and fast cpu) for 49€/month and pay the 149€ setup.
>
> Next canellation date is 10/5/2012, so if possible, we should decide in
> the next few days.

I am surprised you even consider paying for the replacement of broken
hardware. I'd say way cancel the contract right now and move elsewhere.
Such behavior is not acceptable imho and we shouldn't give them even
more money as a bonus.

Greetings,

Pierre

Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Evangelos Foutras

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> I am surprised you even consider paying for the replacement of broken
> hardware. I'd say way cancel the contract right now and move elsewhere.
> Such behavior is not acceptable imho and we shouldn't give them even
> more money as a bonus.

+1

That's what I've saying on IRC! .-.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Ionut Biru

On 05/04/2012 08:18 PM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am 04.05.2012 14:49, schrieb Florian Pritz:
>> On 05/04/2012 11:41 AM, Ionut Biru wrote:
>>> On 05/04/2012 12:29 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:
>>> Like a side note, they offered to replace the server "without a specific
>>> reason" for 39 €.
>>>
>> Aparently they made a mistake. It's not 39€, but rather 69€ if you ask
>> for a replacement.
>>
>> I think we should order an EX4 (newer version, with bigger disks, more
>> ram and fast cpu) for 49€/month and pay the 149€ setup.
>>
>> Next canellation date is 10/5/2012, so if possible, we should decide in
>> the next few days.
>
> I am surprised you even consider paying for the replacement of broken
> hardware. I'd say way cancel the contract right now and move elsewhere.
> Such behavior is not acceptable imho and we shouldn't give them even
> more money as a bonus.

we are paying for new hardware with better specs and moving somewhere
else is out of question. having 999999 places to keep track of payments
is a burden for me.

also hetzner servers are pretty cheap. for 49€/mo we get:
- intel core i7-2600
- 16 gb ram
- 2x3tb

if you find another company that has comparative prices, let me know.

--
Ionuț

Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Dale Blount

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 20:35 +0300, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 08:18 PM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> >>>
> >> Aparently they made a mistake. It's not 39€, but rather 69€ if you ask
> >> for a replacement.
> >>
> >> I think we should order an EX4 (newer version, with bigger disks, more
> >> ram and fast cpu) for 49€/month and pay the 149€ setup.
> >>
> >> Next canellation date is 10/5/2012, so if possible, we should decide in
> >> the next few days.
> >
> > I am surprised you even consider paying for the replacement of broken
> > hardware. I'd say way cancel the contract right now and move elsewhere.
> > Such behavior is not acceptable imho and we shouldn't give them even
> > more money as a bonus.
> >

> we are paying for new hardware with better specs and moving somewhere
> else is out of question. having 999999 places to keep track of payments
> is a burden for me.
>
> also hetzner servers are pretty cheap. for 49€/mo we get:
> - intel core i7-2600
> - 16 gb ram
> - 2x3tb
>
> if you find another company that has comparative prices, let me know.

We get what we pay for. 16GB of non-ECC ram is quite a bit of ram to
not to expect single bit errors now and again. This could be exactly
where the corruption is coming from.

Dale