Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Eric Bélanger

Default Any policy on text relocations?

Hi,

While trying to update mpg123, I noticed that namcap reported that the
library in the i686 package had text relocations. After reporting that
to upstream [1], it turns out to be a known issue with the assembly
optimisation. The only way to remove the text relocations (apart from
not supplying the dynamic library) is to turn off the assembly
optimization, i.e. removing sse, mmx and 3dnow from the i686 package.
As this will probably affect performance and Arch doesn't do any
hardening stuff, I'm wondering if it is really necessary to remove
text relocations from the package in this situation. Would there be
any objections if I just ignore the namcap warning and continue to
build the i686 package with the full optimization as before?

Eric

[1] https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3504701&group_id=135704&atid=7331 94

Old 03-21-2012, 02:41 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While trying to update mpg123, I noticed that namcap reported that the
> library in the i686 package had text relocations. After reporting that
> to upstream [1], it turns out to be a known issue with the assembly
> optimisation. *The only way to remove the text relocations (apart from
> not supplying the dynamic library) is to turn off the assembly
> optimization, i.e. removing sse, mmx and 3dnow from the i686 package.
> As this will probably affect performance and Arch doesn't do any
> hardening stuff, I'm wondering if it is really necessary to remove
> text relocations from the package in this situation. Would there be
> any objections if *I just ignore the namcap warning and continue to
> build the i686 package with the full optimization as before?
>
> Eric
>
> [1] https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3504701&group_id=135704&atid=7331 94

As no-one seem to care, I ignored the text relocations warning and
pushed an updated package with the assembly optimization like it was
done in the previous packages.