-   -   Cleaning up orphaned packages (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/637089-cleaning-up-orphaned-packages.html)

Pierre Schmitz 02-24-2012 02:19 PM

Cleaning up orphaned packages

Hi all,

while the rebuild of unsigned packages is about to be finished we
should start to think about our orphaned packages. ATM there about 430
of them in core and extra 1); some of them are 8probably) not needed by
any other package 2)

Here is my proposal:
* Everybody please review the list and adopt packages that you use and
might be willing to maintain.
* If you maintain a package that depends on an orphan, please adopt it.
It does not make sense to depend on an maintained package. Note that
packages can have mroe than one maintainer; so you should share the
workload.
* If a TU wants to maintain an orphan that is currently in [extra],
please let us know.
* Maybe we can also have a small team that adopts all orphans that
nobody wants to adopt on their own but is needed.

The goal should be to adopt all needed/wanted orphans and remove
everything else.

Greetings,

Pierre

1)
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&arch=any&arch=x86_64&repo=Core&repo=Extra&q =&maintainer=orphan&last_update=&flagged=&limit= 50
2) https://www.archlinux.org/devel/reports/unneeded-orphans/

--
Pierre Schmitz, http://pierre-schmitz.com

Tom Gundersen 02-24-2012 02:26 PM

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> The goal should be to adopt all needed/wanted orphans and remove
> everything else.

+1

A thought: People might be hesitant to adopt orphaned dependencies
that they know nothing about, as that would probably mean that no one
else (who might know more about it) will ever adopt it.

Maybe having a list of packages that are "up for adoption" would help?
I.e. people could still maintain a package as it is needed, but it is
clear that they would prefer someone else to take it?

Cheers,

Tom

Andrea Scarpino 02-24-2012 02:33 PM

On Friday 24 February 2012 16:19:25 Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while the rebuild of unsigned packages is about to be finished we
> should start to think about our orphaned packages. ATM there about 430
> of them in core and extra 1); some of them are 8probably) not needed by
> any other package 2)
>
> Here is my proposal:
> * Everybody please review the list and adopt packages that you use and
> might be willing to maintain.
> * If you maintain a package that depends on an orphan, please adopt it.
> It does not make sense to depend on an maintained package. Note that
> packages can have mroe than one maintainer; so you should share the
> workload.
> * If a TU wants to maintain an orphan that is currently in [extra],
> please let us know.
> * Maybe we can also have a small team that adopts all orphans that
> nobody wants to adopt on their own but is needed.
>
> The goal should be to adopt all needed/wanted orphans and remove
> everything else.
+1

`aurphan -p` could help to find some package to adopt.

--
Andrea

Bartłomiej Piotrowski 02-24-2012 02:45 PM

On 02/24/2012 04:19 PM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> * If a TU wants to maintain an orphan that is currently in [extra],
> please let us know.

Then if you could move following packages to [community], I'd be glad to
take them:
* gftp
* midori
* orage
* ristretto
* pwgen
* vsftpd

--
Bartłomiej Piotrowski
Arch Linux Trusted User

Lukas Fleischer 02-24-2012 03:06 PM

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 04:19:25PM +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while the rebuild of unsigned packages is about to be finished we
> should start to think about our orphaned packages. ATM there about 430
> of them in core and extra 1); some of them are 8probably) not needed by
> any other package 2)
>
> Here is my proposal:
> * Everybody please review the list and adopt packages that you use and
> might be willing to maintain.
> * If you maintain a package that depends on an orphan, please adopt it.
> It does not make sense to depend on an maintained package. Note that
> packages can have mroe than one maintainer; so you should share the
> workload.
> * If a TU wants to maintain an orphan that is currently in [extra],
> please let us know.

I remember that some packages were hold back and weren't moved to
[community] on former [extra] cleanups, even though they didn't have a
maintainer (I'm not sure about the reasons anymore; I remember some of
them were used on gerolde or so, not sure if that is still relevant).
You should probably double-check these.

Apart from that, +1 to this idea. I already checked the list of unneeded
orphans and there's >20 packages I'd like to maintain if they aren't
picked up in [extra]...

> * Maybe we can also have a small team that adopts all orphans that
> nobody wants to adopt on their own but is needed.

Sounds like a good idea as well, at least for packages that are easy to
maintain ("easy" meaning that upstream releases don't require much more
work than bumping the pkgver and updating checksums). Packages that
require a packager, who actually uses them, can still be dropped/moved.

Lukáš Jirkovský 02-25-2012 07:29 AM

Cleaning up orphaned packages

> * If a TU wants to maintain an orphan that is currently in [extra],
> please let us know.

I can maintain following packages in [community] if no-one else takes
them, but I would prefer if some of the devs was interested in them so
they can stay in [extra]. I think these packages deserve place in
[extra], as they are reasonably wide-spread.

* laptop-mode-tools
* krusader
* enblend-enfuse
* hugin
* gimp-refocus

BTW: I see autopano-sift-c is orphaned too. I can assure you it is
mostly forgotten, because it has been replaced by a better and patent
free control points detector which is bundled with hugin. I vote for
dropping it to AUR.

Lukas

Alexander Rdseth 02-25-2012 12:14 PM

Cleaning up orphaned packages

Hi,

From [extra], I'm interested in adopting:
acpi
allegro
eclipse-cdt
fltk-docs
midori
orage
pwgen
tightvnc

Also, I think that all Haskell-related packages that are orphans or
flagged should be downgraded to [community].

I just checked, and only Vesa Kaihlavirta and Thomas Dziedzic maintain
Haskell-related packages in [core] and [extra].
70.6% of all Haskell-related packages are currently flagged as out of date. [1]
Provided this isn't done intentionally, I think it would be good to
make use of the available maintainer-power in [community] and
unsupported.

In general, I'm all for moving packages that are orphans, few or no
packages depend on or just isn't that relevant anymore. Like "boo".

--
Sincerely,
Alexander Rdseth

Allan McRae 02-25-2012 12:16 PM

On 25/02/12 23:14, Alexander Rdseth wrote:
> Also, I think that all Haskell-related packages that are orphans or
> flagged should be downgraded to [community].
>
> I just checked, and only Vesa Kaihlavirta and Thomas Dziedzic maintain
> Haskell-related packages in [core] and [extra].
> 70.6% of all Haskell-related packages are currently flagged as out of date. [1]
> Provided this isn't done intentionally, I think it would be good to
> make use of the available maintainer-power in [community] and
> unsupported.

You do know about the haskell update going on in [staging]?

Alexander Rdseth 02-25-2012 12:29 PM

2012/2/25 Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:
> You do know about the haskell update going on in [staging]?

No, I wasn't aware of that, but I have followed the Haskell-packages
for a few years now, including the rise and fall of the "arch-haskell"
maintainer.
It is my personal opinion that more hands on the many Haskell packages
would be a good thing, as they are often updated (and often just with
a minor version bump).
I don't mean any discredit to Vesa Kaihlavirta or Thomas Dziedzic, I
think they are both great maintainers.

--
Cordially,

Rashif Ray Rahman 03-04-2012 03:07 AM

On 24 February 2012 23:19, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> * If a TU wants to maintain an orphan that is currently in [extra],
> please let us know.

There are some who are already interested. Are we waiting for
anything? Starting this now would allow the rest to take a look at the
final list of leftovers.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1