Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Rémy Oudompheng

Default Cleaning up orphaned packages

I've adopted truecrypt, anybody who especially cares about it is also
free to steal it from me

Rémy.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Daniel Isenmann

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:19:25 +0100
Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> while the rebuild of unsigned packages is about to be finished we
> should start to think about our orphaned packages. ATM there about 430
> of them in core and extra 1); some of them are 8probably) not needed
> by any other package 2)
>
> Here is my proposal:
> * Everybody please review the list and adopt packages that you use and
> might be willing to maintain.
> * If you maintain a package that depends on an orphan, please adopt
> it. It does not make sense to depend on an maintained package. Note
> that packages can have mroe than one maintainer; so you should share
> the workload.
> * If a TU wants to maintain an orphan that is currently in [extra],
> please let us know.
> * Maybe we can also have a small team that adopts all orphans that
> nobody wants to adopt on their own but is needed.
>
> The goal should be to adopt all needed/wanted orphans and remove
> everything else.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre
>

> 1)
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&arch=any&arch=x86_64&repo=Core&repo=Extra&q =&maintainer=orphan&last_update=&flagged=&limit= 50
> 2) https://www.archlinux.org/devel/reports/unneeded-orphans/

I have adopted some packages, mostly which I'm using in my daily work
with my computer.

Following packages adopted:
- GIMP
- hugin (with deps):
- autopano-sift-c
- enblend-enfuse
- exiv2
- lcms
- libpano13
- bogofilter
- banshee (with all deps)

-Daniel

Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 25.02.2012 09:29, schrieb Lukáš Jirkovský:
>> * If a TU wants to maintain an orphan that is currently in [extra],
>> please let us know.
>
> I can maintain following packages in [community] if no-one else takes
> them, but I would prefer if some of the devs was interested in them so
> they can stay in [extra]. I think these packages deserve place in
> [extra], as they are reasonably wide-spread.
>
> * laptop-mode-tools
> * krusader
> * enblend-enfuse
> * hugin
> * gimp-refocus
>
> BTW: I see autopano-sift-c is orphaned too. I can assure you it is
> mostly forgotten, because it has been replaced by a better and patent
> free control points detector which is bundled with hugin. I vote for
> dropping it to AUR.
>
> Lukas

I have moved laptop-mode-tools, krusader and gimp-refocus to community;
please adopt them there. Daniel already adopted hugin and related
packages. You might want to mail him about autopano-sift-c.

Greetings,

Pierre

--
Pierre Schmitz, http://pierre-schmitz.com

Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 25.02.2012 14:14, schrieb Alexander Rřdseth:
> Hi,
>
> From [extra], I'm interested in adopting:
> acpi
> allegro
> eclipse-cdt
> fltk-docs
> midori
> orage
> pwgen
> tightvnc

I have moved the following packages to [community]; please adopt them
there:
acpi
allegro
eclipse-cdt
midori
pwgen
tightvnc

I had to keep these in [extra] for now:
fltk-docs is part of fltk and has deps in extra
orage is part of the fce4-goodies group with packages in extra

Greetings,

Pierre

--
Pierre Schmitz, http://pierre-schmitz.com

Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 24.02.2012 17:06, schrieb Lukas Fleischer:
> Apart from that, +1 to this idea. I already checked the list of unneeded
> orphans and there's >20 packages I'd like to maintain if they aren't
> picked up in [extra]...

Send me a list of these packages. But ensure they are still orphan and
are not a dep or makedep of any package in core/extra.

Greetigns,

Pierre

--
Pierre Schmitz, http://pierre-schmitz.com

Old 03-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 24.02.2012 16:45, schrieb Bartłomiej Piotrowski:
> On 02/24/2012 04:19 PM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>> * If a TU wants to maintain an orphan that is currently in [extra],
>> please let us know.
>
> Then if you could move following packages to [community], I'd be glad to
> take them:
> * gftp
> * midori
> * orage
> * ristretto
> * pwgen
> * vsftpd

I moved these into community:
gftp
ristretto
vsftpd

midori and pwgen already in community

Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Alexander Rřdseth

Hi,

> acpi allegro eclipse-cdt midori pwgen tightvnc

Ok, adopted.

--
Cordially,
*Alexander Rřdseth

Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Lukáš Jirkovský

On 5 March 2012 00:40, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> I have moved laptop-mode-tools, krusader and gimp-refocus to community;
> please adopt them there.

Thanks Pierre! I've adopted all of them.

> Daniel already adopted hugin and related
> packages. You might want to mail him about autopano-sift-c.

Yup, I will email him later.

Have a nice day,
Lukas

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Lukas Fleischer

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 01:01:03AM +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am 24.02.2012 17:06, schrieb Lukas Fleischer:
> > Apart from that, +1 to this idea. I already checked the list of unneeded
> > orphans and there's >20 packages I'd like to maintain if they aren't
> > picked up in [extra]...
>
> Send me a list of these packages. But ensure they are still orphan and
> are not a dep or makedep of any package in core/extra.

Well, there's only a few packages left (others have already been moved
or are required by another [core]/[extra] package):

* bluez-firmware
* cmus
* evilwm
* fortune-mod
* id3v2
* jhead
* libofx
* libofx-doc
* lirc
* lzo
* msmtp
* ncftp
* pdksh
* perl-timedate
* pidgin-encryption

Note that fortune-mod is an optdep of xfce4-session and id3v2 is an
optdep of gtkpod (I can also maintain gtkpod if no one else wants to but
I don't use it, so this might not be in the sense of this cleanup).

I'm not sure about lirc either, I'd prefer if someone could adopt both
lirc and lirc-utils and maintain them in [extra] (lirc-utils is required
by a bunch of [extra] packages).

Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Lukas Fleischer
<archlinux@cryptocrack.de> wrote:
> * bluez-firmware

I take this one.

> * lzo

If nothing is depending on this, it might simply mean that all users
have moved to lzo2 and that lzo can be dropped.

> I'm not sure about lirc either, I'd prefer if someone could adopt both
> lirc and lirc-utils and maintain them in [extra] (lirc-utils is required
> by a bunch of [extra] packages).

In particular:

kradio
mplayer
mythtv
rhythmbox
rosegarden
xawtv
xine-ui

Maybe worth investigating if it can be made an opt-depend, like it is
for some packages:

pulseaudio (optional)
totem (optional)
vlc (optional)