Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Tobias Powalowski

Default kernel config change in testing

Hi
new kernel in testing has:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25341
- ext4 manages now ext2/ext3 and ext4

Please report if any issues happen, here all went fine on all machines.
I had not to change any config file like fstab or mkinitcpio.conf.

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Tobias Powalowski
<tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> new kernel in testing has:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25341
> - ext4 manages now ext2/ext3 and ext4
>
> Please report if any issues happen, here all went fine on all machines.
> I had not to change any config file like fstab or mkinitcpio.conf.

fstab should be fine, but people who don't use the filesystem hook in
mkinitcpio, but rather include the ext2 or ext3 module manually (and
not ext4) might get in trouble. I don't have this setup, so I might be
wrong, but it is worth keeping in mind when testing this.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 21.02.2012 18:43, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> fstab should be fine, but people who don't use the filesystem hook in
> mkinitcpio, but rather include the ext2 or ext3 module manually (and
> not ext4) might get in trouble.

mkinitcpio should resolve aliases in all those cases, I think (at least
'modinfo' resolves implicitly).

Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Dave Reisner

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 06:50:21PM +0100, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 21.02.2012 18:43, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> > fstab should be fine, but people who don't use the filesystem hook in
> > mkinitcpio, but rather include the ext2 or ext3 module manually (and
> > not ext4) might get in trouble.
>
> mkinitcpio should resolve aliases in all those cases, I think (at least
> 'modinfo' resolves implicitly).

You can all go to hell for making fun of kmod -- while mit's modinfo
doesn't resolve aliases, kmod's does. suck on that. EXCELSIOR! SAVED BY
KMOD!!!

</snarky>

Yeah, we should be fine, since ext4 gains ext{2,3} as aliases with this
option set.