Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Dave Reisner

Default Remove ftp mirrors from the default list

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 05:13:33PM +0100, Florian Pritz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ftp connects way slower than http, especially for lots of small files,
> since it has to connect back to the client each time.
>
> Since I don't see any benefit over http and ftp is old, I propose to
> remove all the ftp mirrors from the default mirror list.
>
> --
> Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net

+1 to this. In case you think FTP is still a good idea in 2012, here's
some reading for you, with varying amounts of bias:

- http://daniel.haxx.se/docs/ftp-vs-http.html
- http://mywiki.wooledge.org/FtpMustDie

Old 02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Giovanni Scafora

ftp connects way slower than http, especially for lots of small files,
since it has to connect back to the client each time.

Since I don't see any benefit over http and ftp is old, I propose to
remove all the ftp mirrors from the default mirror list.

+1

--
Arch Linux Developer
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Dan McGee

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ftp connects way slower than http, especially for lots of small files,
> since it has to connect back to the client each time.
>
> Since I don't see any benefit over http and ftp is old, I propose to
> remove all the ftp mirrors from the default mirror list.

+1 from me, but can you elaborate on what you mean by "default"? I can
think of any of the following, want to make sure we are on the same
page:

* pacman-mirrorlist package
* install ISO mirrorlist (completely omitted, or simply commented out?)
* unchecking FTP by default at https://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

-Dan

Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Florian Pritz

On 13.02.2012 19:15, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at> wrote:
>> Since I don't see any benefit over http and ftp is old, I propose to
>> remove all the ftp mirrors from the default mirror list.
>
> +1 from me, but can you elaborate on what you mean by "default"? I can
> think of any of the following, want to make sure we are on the same
> page:

pacman-mirrorlist

I believe the ISO uses pacman-mirrorlist and just prepends the selected
mirror. If ships it's own file, I'd like to change that too.

> * unchecking FTP by default at https://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

I don't know how many people actually get their lists from there, but
unchecking by default won't hurt. I didn't think of this so thanks for
mentioning it.

--
Florian Pritz

Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Ionut Biru

On 02/13/2012 06:13 PM, Florian Pritz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ftp connects way slower than http, especially for lots of small files,
> since it has to connect back to the client each time.
>
> Since I don't see any benefit over http and ftp is old, I propose to
> remove all the ftp mirrors from the default mirror list.

what about our "default" ftp.archlinux.org ?

--
IonuČ›

Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Florian Pritz

On 13.02.2012 19:25, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 02/13/2012 06:13 PM, Florian Pritz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> ftp connects way slower than http, especially for lots of small files,
>> since it has to connect back to the client each time.
>>
>> Since I don't see any benefit over http and ftp is old, I propose to
>> remove all the ftp mirrors from the default mirror list.
>>

> what about our "default" ftp.archlinux.org ?

We always tell users not to use it because it's throttled so that's not
a big loss. Put kernel.org at the top (I believe it is already) and make
that the default. They have mirrors in different countries and enough
bandwidth.

If you are talking about the sources and other directories: kernel.org
has those too.

--
Florian Pritz

Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Abdul Halim Mat Ali

I don't find download small files is slow especially when the mirror is at
your country.
Furthermore, my country namely Singapore only have one mirror and that one
mirror using FTP.

Arch-devs. Kindly do not delete FTP from the list.
The mirrors list are user config and not everybody use the same mirror and
it is up to us
to use which mirror. So, I don't see a point on remove the ftp mirrors.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at> wrote:
> ftp connects way slower than http, especially for lots of small files,
> since it has to connect back to the client each time.
>
> Since I don't see any benefit over http and ftp is old, I propose to
> remove all the ftp mirrors from the default mirror list.

Maybe an exception could be made for those servers that are only
available as ftp? As pointed out by Abdul Halim Mat Ali on
arch-general, the only Singaporean mirror is ftp only.

In my experience I have a few times had use for ftp servers when the
http servers are not working. This is hardly a problem in Central
Europe, as we have so many mirrors here, but in other parts of the
world it is more relevant.

-t

Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at> wrote:
>> ftp connects way slower than http, especially for lots of small files,
>> since it has to connect back to the client each time.
>>
>> Since I don't see any benefit over http and ftp is old, I propose to
>> remove all the ftp mirrors from the default mirror list.
>
> Maybe an exception could be made for those servers that are only
> available as ftp? As pointed out by Abdul Halim Mat Ali on
> arch-general, the only Singaporean mirror is ftp only.
>
> In my experience I have a few times had use for ftp servers when the
> http servers are not working. This is hardly a problem in Central
> Europe, as we have so many mirrors here, but in other parts of the
> world it is more relevant.
>
> -t

I never had a problem with http servers that didn't affect ftp servers.
I think in cases like Abdul's it would be sensible to make an
exception and leave his server in the mirrorlist (and possibly others
in his situation?).
Hungary also seems to be another country with only a single mirror that's ftp.
I didn't find any others.

-Thomas Dziedzic

Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Gaetan Bisson

[2012-02-14 11:20:58 +0900] Nicholas MIller:
> Did I miss an announcement?

That discussion:

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-February/022530.html

[2012-02-14 10:06:49 +0800] Abdul Halim Mat Ali:
> Furthermore, my country namely Singapore only have one mirror and that one
> mirror using FTP.

They have HTTP mirrors for other things; maybe they can be convinced to
do that for Arch too. See:

http://www.oss.eznetsols.org/

> So, I don't see a point on remove the ftp mirrors.

The discussion I link to above explains the point you're not seeing.

--
Gaetan