Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Dave Reisner

Default grep breakage in staging

Hey,

Long story short, udev wouldn't build against staging and bailed with a
really strange library-not-found error. I was able to reduce it down to
libtool flaking out because it hardcodes paths to grep:

92 # A grep program that handles long lines.
93 GREP="/bin/grep"
94
95 # An ERE matcher.
96 EGREP="/bin/grep -E"
97
98 # A literal string matcher.
99 FGREP="/bin/grep -F"

And sure enough, the rebuild of grep moved the binaries out of /bin:

- ./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/bin --without-included-regex
+ ./configure --prefix=/usr --without-included-regex

Do we:

* revert the ./configure change?
* farm symlinks?
* tell libtool upstream to go to hell? (please?)

Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Florian Pritz

On 07.02.2012 20:23, Dave Reisner wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Long story short, udev wouldn't build against staging and bailed with a
> really strange library-not-found error. I was able to reduce it down to
> libtool flaking out because it hardcodes paths to grep:
>
> 92 # A grep program that handles long lines.
> 93 GREP="/bin/grep"
> Do we:
> * tell libtool upstream to go to hell? (please?)

+1

$PATH is there for a reason and if they think it might not contain /bin,
they can just add it at the end.

If the reason is "performance" (I did hear that one somewhere already)
they shouldn't use a shell script. Forking is worse than a few (likely
cached) file system lookups.

Until it's fixed upstream, I suggest to just patch it.

PS: Just saw that the variables for gcc, strip, ln -s, ar, as, printf,
tr and objdump do not contain a hardcoded path but just the executable
name. Go figure.

--
Florian Pritz

Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Dave Reisner

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 08:49:36PM +0100, Florian Pritz wrote:
> On 07.02.2012 20:23, Dave Reisner wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Long story short, udev wouldn't build against staging and bailed with a
> > really strange library-not-found error. I was able to reduce it down to
> > libtool flaking out because it hardcodes paths to grep:
> >
> > 92 # A grep program that handles long lines.
> > 93 GREP="/bin/grep"
> > Do we:
> > * tell libtool upstream to go to hell? (please?)
>
> +1
>
> $PATH is there for a reason and if they think it might not contain /bin,
> they can just add it at the end.
>
> If the reason is "performance" (I did hear that one somewhere already)
> they shouldn't use a shell script. Forking is worse than a few (likely
> cached) file system lookups.

POSIX specifies the 'hash' builtin for /bin/sh, meaning that you do a
path lookup once and then never again. There's literally no reason not
to trust in a sane PATH.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Allan McRae

On 08/02/12 05:23, Dave Reisner wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Long story short, udev wouldn't build against staging and bailed with a
> really strange library-not-found error. I was able to reduce it down to
> libtool flaking out because it hardcodes paths to grep:
>
> 92 # A grep program that handles long lines.
> 93 GREP="/bin/grep"
> 94
> 95 # An ERE matcher.
> 96 EGREP="/bin/grep -E"
> 97
> 98 # A literal string matcher.
> 99 FGREP="/bin/grep -F"
>
> And sure enough, the rebuild of grep moved the binaries out of /bin:
>
> - ./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/bin --without-included-regex
> + ./configure --prefix=/usr --without-included-regex
>
> Do we:
>
> * revert the ./configure change?
> * farm symlinks?
> * tell libtool upstream to go to hell? (please?)

* rebuilt libtool... (being done now)

Allan