Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default removing blacklisting of framebuffers from the udev package

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> instead of trying to avoid such issues, why not drop most of
> framebuffers from kernel instead?

Either (or both) approaches are fine with me. I don't know if anyone
uses the fb modules...

-t

Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 07.02.2012 18:56, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> instead of trying to avoid such issues, why not drop most of
>> framebuffers from kernel instead?
>
> Either (or both) approaches are fine with me. I don't know if anyone
> uses the fb modules...
>
> -t

I guess it should be save to remove those old fb drivers; esp. those
which have newer replacements.

--
Pierre Schmitz, http://pierre-schmitz.com

Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> instead of trying to avoid such issues, why not drop most of
> framebuffers from kernel instead?
>
> that's a more logical step.
>
> for example, fedora only has enabled in his kernel:
>
> config-generic:CONFIG_VIDEO_FB_IVTV=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_I810=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_I810_GTF=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_I810_I2C=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_VGA16=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1=m
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
> config-generic:CONFIG_FB_UDL=m

Following up on this. rivafb, nvidiafb and nouveau (which are all
enabled in our kernel) conflict. Unless there are good reasons not to,
I suggest at least disabling rivafb and nvidiafb. Until now they were
blacklisted by a modprobe config file, so people would have to mask
the blacklisting file in order to make them work.

Thomas, Tobias, what do you think?

Cheers,

Tom

Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> this. rivafb, nvidiafb and nouveau (which are all
> enabled in our kernel) conflict. Unless there are good reasons not to,
> I suggest at least disabling rivafb and nvidiafb.

I asked about this in #nouveau (as I don't have much clue about nvidia
drivers/hardware):

[09:12] <tomegun> [...] any reason at all to keep the old
nvidiafb/rivafb modules around in a standard kernel, or are their
usecases covered well by nouveau these days?
[09:13] <airlied> should all be covered by nouveau really, maybe some
ppc corner cases
[...]
[09:17] <RSpliet> NV03 (nVidia Riva 128) is not supported by nouveau
[09:17] <RSpliet> dropping... well... probably rivafb, might cause
small problems on these ancient machines (1998)
[09:18] <tomegun> RSpliet: ah, ok. thanks
[09:19] <pq> or maybe they'd better use a generic fb driver...
[09:20] <RSpliet> pq: sounds sane too

-t

Old 02-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Andreas Radke

+1 for dropping ancient framebuffer modules.

-Andy