Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Ionut Biru

Default removing blacklisting of framebuffers from the udev package

On 02/07/2012 06:59 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Currently the udev package ships
>
> /lib/modules.d/framebuffer_blacklist.conf
>
> This file blacklists all the framebuffer modules present on the build
> machine. This does not feel quite right to me, and it is not exactly
> self-documenting what bug is being fixed.
>
> If possible, I'd like to drop this file and add more specific
> blacklisting where needed. If I understand correctly, the main issue
> is in the case where proprietary drivers are used (nvidia / catalyst)
> and the opensource drivers are loaded instead. If this is the only
> problem, I'd like to propose we solve it as follows:
>
> Add
>
> /lib/modules.d/nvidia.conf:
> blacklist nouveau
> blacklist nvidiafb
>
> to the nvidia package (and analogously to the catalyst package in aur).

instead of trying to avoid such issues, why not drop most of
framebuffers from kernel instead?

that's a more logical step.

for example, fedora only has enabled in his kernel:

config-generic:CONFIG_VIDEO_FB_IVTV=m
config-generic:CONFIG_FB_I810=m
config-generic:CONFIG_FB_I810_GTF=y
config-generic:CONFIG_FB_I810_I2C=y