Old 02-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Allan McRae

Default Minimum kernel version for glibc now 2.6.32

So... I was testing out some things in glibc with the minimum kernel
set to 2.6.32 and forgot to change it back for today's bug fix build.
As I am too lazy to rebuild again (which should be the basis for all
development decisions), that means that our new minimum kernel
requirement is 2.6.32!

This actually fits in with my plan to keep this synced to the oldest
kernel provided on the front page of kernel.org. I doubt there is much
use of kernels 2.6.27 to 2.6.31 anyway...

Other changes to glibc-2.15-5:
- fix ifunc relocation issues on x86_64 (those math crashes)
- fix AVX detection (should fix Xen PV on AVX hardware issues)
- fix __nscd_get_mapping crash when nscd not running (e.g. chromium)
- fix realloc usage in vfscanf
- fix GB18030 charmap (only a 49081 line patch...)

This should properly fix all reported (and even a few unreported) issues
in our glibc package.

Allan

Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Allan McRae

On 04/02/12 17:18, Allan McRae wrote:
> So... I was testing out some things in glibc with the minimum kernel
> set to 2.6.32 and forgot to change it back for today's bug fix build.
> As I am too lazy to rebuild again (which should be the basis for all
> development decisions), that means that our new minimum kernel
> requirement is 2.6.32!
>
> This actually fits in with my plan to keep this synced to the oldest
> kernel provided on the front page of kernel.org. I doubt there is much
> use of kernels 2.6.27 to 2.6.31 anyway...
>
> Other changes to glibc-2.15-5:
> - fix ifunc relocation issues on x86_64 (those math crashes)
> - fix AVX detection (should fix Xen PV on AVX hardware issues)
> - fix __nscd_get_mapping crash when nscd not running (e.g. chromium)
> - fix realloc usage in vfscanf
> - fix GB18030 charmap (only a 49081 line patch...)
>
> This should properly fix all reported (and even a few unreported) issues
> in our glibc package.

So this probably needs an announcement before I push it to core

=== BEGIN DRAFT ===

Minimum kernel requirement 2.6.32

From the glibc-2.15-5 package, the minimum assumed kernel version will
be increased from 2.6.27 to 2.6.32. This reflects the oldest kernel
version still receiving updates upstream.

=== END DRAFT ===