Old 01-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Dave Reisner

Default news draft for kmod

Since people seem to have forgotten about pacman -Ql and are incapable
of rational thought, I've prepared the following news draft about kmod
replacing m-i-t. Comments welcome.

---------8<-------------------------------------

kmod replaces module-init-tools

With module-init-tools being declared a dead project by its current
maintainer, a new project has stepped up to take its place: kmod. This
is intended to be a drop-in replacement, though deprecated functionality
in module-init-tools has not been reimplemented.

If, upon upgrade, pacman pacsaves [/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf], you
should move it back. This file, and any other config read by
module-init-tools is still read by kmod. However, the kmod package will
no long include a blank config file. You'll find the same (if not more)
documentation in the manpages and --help output for the binaries.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Dan McGee

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> Since people seem to have forgotten about pacman -Ql and are incapable
> of rational thought, I've prepared the following news draft about kmod
> replacing m-i-t. Comments welcome.
>
> ---------8<-------------------------------------
>
> kmod replaces module-init-tools
>
> With module-init-tools being declared a dead project by its current
> maintainer, a new project has stepped up to take its place: kmod. This
> is intended to be a drop-in replacement, though deprecated functionality
> in module-init-tools has not been reimplemented.
>
> If, upon upgrade, pacman pacsaves [/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf], you
Nice formatting in markdown will probably be with backticks; e.g.
`/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf`.

"...pacman moves `/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf` to a .pacsave
file..." rather than inventing verbs for our non-native English
speakers.

> should move it back. This file, and any other config read by
> module-init-tools is still read by kmod. However, the kmod package will
> no long include a blank config file. You'll find the same (if not more)
no longer

Old 01-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> I've prepared the following news draft about kmod
> replacing m-i-t.

Good idea.

> With module-init-tools being declared a dead project by its current
> maintainer, a new project has stepped up to take its place: kmod.

Not that it really matters, but this gives the wrong impression of
what happened: m-i-t was declared dead by Jon because Lucas created
kmod (not the other way around).

-t

Old 01-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Dave Reisner

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 10:21:17PM +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> > I've prepared the following news draft about kmod
> > replacing m-i-t.
>
> Good idea.
>
> > With module-init-tools being declared a dead project by its current
> > maintainer, a new project has stepped up to take its place: kmod.
>
> Not that it really matters, but this gives the wrong impression of
> what happened: m-i-t was declared dead by Jon because Lucas created
> kmod (not the other way around).
>
> -t

I tend to believe it was a little of both. kmod popping up only made it
easier for Jon to shrug off maintainership.