Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default removing /bin/arch

Hi guys,

/bin/arch was deprecated from util-linux back in 2007, in favor of `uname -m`.

Any objections to not shipping it any longer?

Cheers,

Tom

Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Ionut Biru

On 01/11/2012 08:07 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> /bin/arch was deprecated from util-linux back in 2007, in favor of `uname -m`.
>
> Any objections to not shipping it any longer?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Why don't we let upstream decide that?

IMO if is installed by make install, then we should keep it.

--
IonuÈ›

Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi

/bin/arch was deprecated from util-linux back in 2007, in favor of `uname -m`.

Any objections to not shipping it any longer?

Cheers,

Tom

Why don't we let upstream decide that?

IMO if is installed by make install, then we should keep it.

Disabled by default[#1], we are enabling it [#2]

[#1]
http://git.kernel.org/?p=utils/util-linux/util-linux.git;a=blob;f=configure.ac;h=8af42e4353d1d992 2af9f439f41a236698504402;hb=HEAD#l820
[#2]
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/util-linux#n32

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
cos^2alpha + sin^2alpha = 1

Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 08:07 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Why don't we let upstream decide that?
>
> IMO if is installed by make install, then we should keep it.

Should have been clearer: upstream disabled it by default in August
2007, we have been manually enabling it since.

-t

Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Stéphane Gaudreault

Le 11 janvier 2012 20:46:15 Tom Gundersen a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On 01/11/2012 08:07 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> > Why don't we let upstream decide that?
> >
> > IMO if is installed by make install, then we should keep it.
>
> Should have been clearer: upstream disabled it by default in August
> 2007, we have been manually enabling it since.
>
> -t

If you are sure that nothing will break, go for it. My only concern here is
that it may be difficult at first to identify which packages contain scripts that
will be broken if we stop shiping it.

Stéphane