Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Dave Reisner

Default filesystem-2011.12 manual intervention required

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 05:57:51PM +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> We are finalizing the move to libmonut based mount, paving the way for
> read-only root, by moving /etc/mtab into the filesystem package. This
> used to be a dynamic file generated at boot and updated at runtime,
> but as of the last initscripts package it was simply a symlink to
> /proc/self/mounts.
>
> This symlink was created at boot (at the same place the old mtab was
> generated), but this turned out to cause a few problems.
>
> Sadly, moving the symlink to 'filesystem' requires user intervention,
> which I will write a news item about. The essential message will be:
>
> "Please upgrade the filesystem package using 'pacman -Sf filesystem'
> in order to overwrite /etc/mtab."

I'd prefer to ask people to rm /etc/mtab and -Su, rather than advertise
-f (which has been removed in pacman-git, leaving only --force).

Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Dave Reisner

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:38:11PM -0500, Dave Reisner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 05:57:51PM +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > We are finalizing the move to libmonut based mount, paving the way for
> > read-only root, by moving /etc/mtab into the filesystem package. This
> > used to be a dynamic file generated at boot and updated at runtime,
> > but as of the last initscripts package it was simply a symlink to
> > /proc/self/mounts.
> >
> > This symlink was created at boot (at the same place the old mtab was
> > generated), but this turned out to cause a few problems.
> >
> > Sadly, moving the symlink to 'filesystem' requires user intervention,
> > which I will write a news item about. The essential message will be:
> >
> > "Please upgrade the filesystem package using 'pacman -Sf filesystem'
> > in order to overwrite /etc/mtab."
>
> I'd prefer to ask people to rm /etc/mtab and -Su, rather than advertise
> -f (which has been removed in pacman-git, leaving only --force).
>
> > Please test and signoff, as I'd like to make the move to core rather quickly.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tom

Gah.. and of course saying that, and then going and doing it -- the
missing mtab makes pacman choke on diskspace checking. --force might be
the easier option here...

Old 12-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:38:11PM -0500, Dave Reisner wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 05:57:51PM +0100, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> > Hi guys,
>> >
>> > We are finalizing the move to libmonut based mount, paving the way for
>> > read-only root, by moving /etc/mtab into the filesystem package. This
>> > used to be a dynamic file generated at boot and updated at runtime,
>> > but as of the last initscripts package it was simply a symlink to
>> > /proc/self/mounts.
>> >
>> > This symlink was created at boot (at the same place the old mtab was
>> > generated), but this turned out to cause a few problems.
>> >
>> > Sadly, moving the symlink to 'filesystem' requires user intervention,
>> > which I will write a news item about. The essential message will be:
>> >
>> > "Please upgrade the filesystem package using 'pacman -Sf filesystem'
>> > in order to overwrite /etc/mtab."
>>
>> I'd prefer to ask people to rm /etc/mtab and -Su, rather than advertise
>> -f (which has been removed in pacman-git, leaving only --force).
>>
>> > Please test and signoff, as I'd like to make the move to core rather quickly.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Tom
>
> Gah.. and of course saying that, and then going and doing it -- the
> missing mtab makes pacman choke on diskspace checking. --force might be
> the easier option here...

Yeah, I'll make this clear in the news item. --force is always,
always, always wrong. Except for this one time, when it is the only
solution ;-)

-t

Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Keshav P R

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 23:21, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:

> >> I'd prefer to ask people to rm /etc/mtab and -Su, rather than advertise
> >> -f (which has been removed in pacman-git, leaving only --force).

> quickly.

> > Gah.. and of course saying that, and then going and doing it -- the
> > missing mtab makes pacman choke on diskspace checking. --force might be
> > the easier option here...
>
> Yeah, I'll make this clear in the news item. --force is always,
> always, always wrong. Except for this one time, when it is the only
> solution ;-)
>
> -t

Sorry to interrupt guys but can't this be done in pre_upgrade function in
.INSTALL script of the package?

Quote: man PKGBUILD

pre_install
Run right before files are extracted. One argument is passed:
new package full version string.

pre_upgrade
Run right before files are extracted. Two arguments are passed
in this order: new package full version string, old package full version
string.

Regards.

Keshav

Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Keshav P R <the.ridikulus.rat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to interrupt guys but can't this be done in pre_upgrade function in
> .INSTALL script of the package?

The check for file conflicts is done before the scripts are ran. Doing
otherwise would mean that we might end up with a half-broken install,
so it is not easy to change.

-t

Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:41:21 +0530
Keshav P R <the.ridikulus.rat@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 23:21, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>

> > Yeah, I'll make this clear in the news item. --force is always,
> > always, always wrong. Except for this one time, when it is the only
> > solution ;-)
> >
> > -t
> >

> Sorry to interrupt guys but can't this be done in pre_upgrade function in
> .INSTALL script of the package?
>
> Quote: man PKGBUILD
>
> pre_install
> Run right before files are extracted. One argument is passed:
> new package full version string.
>
> pre_upgrade
> Run right before files are extracted. Two arguments are passed
> in this order: new package full version string, old package full version
> string.
>
> Regards.
>
> Keshav

This would require changing the install script only for this particular
update. But what's wrong with (as root)
"rm -vf /etc/mtab && ln -vs /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab && pacman -Syu"?

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Ionut Biru

On 12/19/2011 08:29 PM, Leonid Isaev wrote:

> This would require changing the install script only for this particular
> update. But what's wrong with (as root)
> "rm -vf /etc/mtab && ln -vs /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab && pacman -Syu"?

Using your method, you end up in the same situation like is it now.

The idea is to include the symlink into the package.

--
IonuČ›