FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Eric Belanger
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

Hi,

Here is the third sublist. It contains the packages from the second list
that for which no decision has been made plus the remaining orphans in the
wiki list. There might be a fourth sublist if there are still some stray
orphans remaining.


If you think a package should be kept or disagree about the comments, say
it so. If you think all these packages can be removed, also say it so. If
you want to adopt one of these packages, please adopt it through the
dashboard and let me know.


======================================
adns Description: adns is an asyncronous replacement resolver library
aide Description: AIDE (Advanced Intrusion Detection Environment) is a file integrity checker
akode it seems like it will be dependency of kde4. Any takers?
apmd replaced by acpi (incorrect. needed for older machines)
aria Different from aria2. Do we keep? Is the maintainer of aria2 interested?
aumix works with oss, do we keep?
bchunk Description: A Tool to Convert .raw .bin files to an ISO file
dctc Description: A Direct Connect clone
dmcradio Description: A ncurses-based console program for radio tuner cards.
efax utilities to send and receive faxes, I guess we should keep it unless another package provides fax support
evms Description: Enterprise Volume Management System
font-bitstream-speedo who uses speedo fonts?
font-misc-ethiopic i18n support, should be kept
font-misc-meltho i18n support, should be kept
genius Roman: it's a gnome app. Description: Advanced calculator including a mathematical programming language
giftoxic Description: A GTK frontend for the giFT daemon
gimp-perl low usage: perl plugin and modules for gimp
gnome-audio audio files for gnome. Part of gnome-extra group. Any takers? Jan? Roman?
gpart Description: Gpart is a tool which tries to guess the primary partition table of a PC-type hard disk in case the primary partition table in sector 0 is damaged
gpgme03 obsoleted by gpgme???
gprolog Can be removed, I guess. There is another prolog compiler (swi-prolog) in repo.
hashalot Description: A tool to hash stuff
hnb Description: hierarchical notebook (hnb) is a curses program to structure many kinds of data in one place
httptunnel Description: httptunnel creates a bidirectional virtual data connection tunnelled in HTTP requests
httrack Description: HTTrack is an easy-to-use offline browser utility.
hypermail Description: Hypermail is a program that takes a file of mail messages in UNIX mailbox format and generates a set of cross-referenced HTML documents
idesk Description: idesk plops icons down on your root window (desktop).
ijb Description: The Internet Junkbuster Proxy (TM) blocks unwanted banner ads and protects your privacy from cookies and other threats
ippl Description: IP Protocols Logger
ipvsadm Description: The IP Virtual Server administration utility
ircd Description: Internet Relay Chat Daemon
irda-utils Utilities for infrared communication between devices: should be kept
isapnptools ISA Plug-And-Play devices support: shopuld be kept
jetty Description: A full-fledged production-grade lightweight Java Servlet Container
jpilot Description: A desktop organizer application for the palm pilot
km (in testing) Only present in i686 testing. Contains 2 kernel modules (km_drv and km_api_drv) built for 2.6.20
libgnomesu gksu and kdesu provide same functionality
libidl unused lib
libsvg unused lib
masqmail home page disappeared, another MTA
mikmod Description: MikMod is an open source curses module player based on libmikmod
mod_python used on Archlinux.org for django?
mod_security Description: An open source intrusion detection and prevention engine for web applications
mpcut Description: This program allows you to visualise the power levels in each frame of an MP3 file, select a number of frames, cut out frames you don't want, and then save the selected frames (excluding the cuts) to a separate MP3 file.
mrtg Description: Multi Router Traffic Grapher.
netdude w libnetdude & libpcapnav used to inspect/manipulate tcpdump trace files. Should we keep it?
netgo a tool for changing network settings quickly and easily: Is it still useful/usable with the latest network scripts?
netkit-bootparamd Do we keep?
netkit-ntalk Isn't talk obsoleted by Instant Messaging and IRC?
netpipes Description: The netpipes package makes TCP/IP streams usable in shell scripts
ngrep Description: A grep-like utility that allows you to search for network packets on an interface
nss_ldap Description: The nss_ldap module provides the means for Linux and Solaris workstations to resolve the entities defined in RFC 2307 from LDAP directories.
oidentd ident server like pidentd (orphaned). Which one should we keep or should we remove both?
openchrome graphics drivers, should be kept unless it can be replaced by xf86-video-unichrome. Jürgen: you updated it recently, do you want to adopt it?
pam_ldap Description: The pam_ldap module provides the means for Solaris and Linux workstations to authenticate against LDAP directories, and to change their passwords in the directory.
pam_mysql Description: A PAM module to authenticate users against mysql.
pan Description: A powerful Newsgroup Article reader based on GTK2
pdns-ldap unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
pdns-mysql unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
pdns-pgsql unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
pdns-recursor Description: PowerDNS recursor
pdq Description: pdq is a direct replacement of lpr
perl-email-date unused perl module. To Jan: You added it to the repo 2 months ago with several other perl packages. Did you forgot to adopt them or are they future dependencies?
pidentd ident server like oidentd (orphaned). Which one should we keep or should we remove both?
powernowd Do we need it? We already have cpudyn and cpufreq. As a decision been made?
pppconfig Description: A text menu based utility for configuring ppp.
revelation Description: Password manager for the GNOME 2 desktop
sclient Description: A small GTK-based MUD client for X
sendfile Description: The sendfile client transfers files to the sendfile daemon of the recipient's host
sharpconstruct Description: A real-time modeller for 3D sculpt models
shorten Description: Shorten is an established low complexity waveform coder which uses a lossless compression scheme, superior to that of mp3
sloth Description: Sloth allows you to slow down a specified application by specifying (in milliseconds) the delay on the process
speedtouch modem drivers, should be kept
splitvt splitvt takes any VT100 terminal window and splits it vertically into two shell windows: screen does that
ssldump Description: an SSLv3/TLS network protocol analyzer
tiacx (in unstable) wireless drivers, should be kept
tiacx-mm (in unstable) wireless drivers, should be kept
tmda Description: Tagged Message Delivery Agent.
urlview Description: A curses URL parser for text files
valknut Description: Direct Connect 4 Linux File Sharing program.
vbetool Description: vbetool uses lrmi in order to run code from the video BIOS
vconfig Description: VLAN configuration utility
weex Description: With weex, the maintainer of a web site or archive that must be administered through FTP interaction can largely ignore that process
wxpython Description: A wxWidgets GUI toolkit for Python.
x2vnc Description: Lets you use two monitors on two different computers one one computer
x2x Description: Control one X display from another
xautolock Description: An automatic X screen-locker/screen-saver
xf86-input-* Xorg maintainer should adopt those
xf86-video-intel Xorg maintainer should adopt it
xf86-video-unichrome graphics drivers, should be kept, somebody with that hardware or the Xorg maintainer should take it
xpdf-arabic i18n support, should be kept. Is xpdf maintainer interested?
xpdf-chinese-simplified
xpdf-chinese-traditional
xpdf-cyrillic
xpdf-greek
xpdf-hebrew
xpdf-japanese
xpdf-korean
xpdf-latin2
xpdf-thai
xpdf-turkish
xprobe Description: tool for remote OS fingerprinting based on ICMP responses received from the host
yp-tools Description: yp-tools is an implementation of the NIS
client tools for Linux

ytalk Description: A client of the talk/ntalk inet daemon
zebra Description: Manages IPv4 and IPv6 routing protocols
zsh very popular. iphitus will adopt if nobody else will
==============================================








--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 
Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 AM
"Jan de Groot"
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

> Van: arch-dev-public-bounces@archlinux.org [mailto:arch-dev-public-
> bounces@archlinux.org] Namens Eric Belanger
> Verzonden: dinsdag 27 november 2007 8:31
> Aan: arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
> Onderwerp: [arch-dev-public] Third list of removal candidates
> genius Roman: it's a gnome app. Description: Advanced calculator

Wasn't genius still maintained? It's on my list to-update applications when
I get to updating gnome packages again

> gnome-audio audio files for gnome. Part of gnome-extra group. Any
> takers? Jan? Roman?

I'll take it, it doesn't need any maintenance as it never gets updated. Not
sure about it future though, but we'll see by the time GNOME decides to
replace it (there's a discussion about sounds on desktop-devel-list)

> libgnomesu gksu and kdesu provide same functionality
AFAIK it's "needed" by gnome-system-monitor, but it could be libgksu that is
required by that thing. I'll maintain it if there's a package in extra that
needs it.

> nss_ldap Description: The nss_ldap module provides the means for
> pam_ldap Description: The pam_ldap module provides the means for
I use it on my arch box. If nobody wants to maintain it, I'll do.

> pdns-ldap unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
> pdns-mysql unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
> pdns-pgsql unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
> pdns-recursor Description: PowerDNS recursor
I'll update powerdns soon and merge the pdns-* things in it. Pdns-recursor
stays standalone. Don't remove it, powerdns is pretty useless without a
recursor for most people.

> perl-email-date unused perl module. To Jan: You added it to the repo
It was added as dependency to some other perl module. I don't add perl
modules for fun.

> vbetool Description: vbetool uses lrmi in order to run code from
Used by pm-utils AFAIK.


_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 
Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
"Varun Acharya"
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

On Nov 27, 2007 1:01 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:



idesk * Description: idesk plops icons down on your root window (desktop).
I don't use a minimal WM anymore, but isn't this the only way to get icons onto your desktop in fluxbox/blackbox? I can't adopt this because I don't use it at all, and testing it will be tough. I also remember this didn't work the last time I tried on 64bit. Takers, anyone?


Varun



_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 
Old 11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Paul Mattal
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

Eric Belanger wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Here is the third sublist. It contains the packages from the second list
> that for which no decision has been made plus the remaining orphans in
> the wiki list. There might be a fourth sublist if there are still some
> stray orphans remaining.
>
> If you think a package should be kept or disagree about the comments,
> say it so. If you think all these packages can be removed, also say it
> so. If you want to adopt one of these packages, please adopt it through
> the dashboard and let me know.
>
> ======================================
> jpilot Description: A desktop organizer application for the palm pilot

Adopted.

> mod_python used on Archlinux.org for django?

Adopted.

- P

_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 
Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Eric Belanger
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Jan de Groot wrote:

>> Van: arch-dev-public-bounces@archlinux.org [mailto:arch-dev-public-
>> bounces@archlinux.org] Namens Eric Belanger
>> Verzonden: dinsdag 27 november 2007 8:31
>> Aan: arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
>> Onderwerp: [arch-dev-public] Third list of removal candidates
>> genius Roman: it's a gnome app. Description: Advanced calculator
>
> Wasn't genius still maintained? It's on my list to-update applications when
> I get to updating gnome packages again

I'm not sure if I understand what you wrote but if you are currently
maintaining (updating & fixing) genius and want to continue, please adopt
it. According to the dashboard, it is listed as an orphan.


>
>> gnome-audio audio files for gnome. Part of gnome-extra group. Any
>> takers? Jan? Roman?
>
> I'll take it, it doesn't need any maintenance as it never gets updated. Not
> sure about it future though, but we'll see by the time GNOME decides to
> replace it (there's a discussion about sounds on desktop-devel-list)

Don't forget to adopt it (via the dashboard).

>
>> libgnomesu gksu and kdesu provide same functionality
> AFAIK it's "needed" by gnome-system-monitor, but it could be libgksu that is
> required by that thing. I'll maintain it if there's a package in extra that
> needs it.

No package depends on it (the same goes for all packages in these lists).
gnome-system-monitor depends on libgksu. Do you still want it?


>
>> nss_ldap Description: The nss_ldap module provides the means for
>> pam_ldap Description: The pam_ldap module provides the means for
> I use it on my arch box. If nobody wants to maintain it, I'll do.
>
>> pdns-ldap unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
>> pdns-mysql unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
>> pdns-pgsql unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
>> pdns-recursor Description: PowerDNS recursor
> I'll update powerdns soon and merge the pdns-* things in it. Pdns-recursor
> stays standalone. Don't remove it, powerdns is pretty useless without a
> recursor for most people.

OK, don't forget to adopt them. You'll also want pdns too.

>
>> perl-email-date unused perl module. To Jan: You added it to the repo
> It was added as dependency to some other perl module. I don't add perl
> modules for fun.

No package depends on perl-email-date. I get these information by grepping
the up-to-date cvs tree. You also added the following packages on the
same day:
perl-email-abstract
perl-email-simple
perl-module-pluggable
perl-time-piece

These perl modules are all orphaned and, apart from a couple of
inter-dependency between them, are not makedepends or depends of any other
packages in the repo. Either the package that depended on it has been
removed from the repo or it was removed from its depends array. Or
something else happened.

>
>> vbetool Description: vbetool uses lrmi in order to run code from
> Used by pm-utils AFAIK.
>
>

pm-utils only depends on glibc. No package depends on vbetool.


Thanks for the input.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.


_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 
Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Eric Belanger
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Varun Acharya wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2007 1:01 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> idesk Description: idesk plops icons down on your root window (desktop).
>
>
> I don't use a minimal WM anymore, but isn't this the only way to get icons
> onto your desktop in fluxbox/blackbox? I can't adopt this because I don't
> use it at all, and testing it will be tough. I also remember this didn't
> work the last time I tried on 64bit. Takers, anyone?
>
> Varun
>
>

I don't use it but I think that rox can put icons on the desktop. Can
someone confirm?

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.


_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 
Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 PM
"Aaron Griffin"
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

On Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> aumix works with oss, do we keep?
Good question.... I personally don't care. If someone is using OSS
audio, they're probably using a fancier mixer control.

> evms Description: Enterprise Volume Management System
Isn't this an "important" one? I know no one who uses it, but I
thought it was a direct competitor to lvm

> irda-utils Utilities for infrared communication between devices: should be kept
This looks important. I'll snag it 8)

> jetty Description: A full-fledged production-grade lightweight Java Servlet Container
Ugh? Isn't this a big deal with the java people? Dan can you provide
some insight here?

> km (in testing) Only present in i686 testing. Contains 2 kernel modules (km_drv and km_api_drv) built for 2.6.20
Man, I rebuilt this ages ago, and no one seemed to care. I even forgot
it was there. Lets kill it off, it's hard as hell to build anyway.

> mod_python used on Archlinux.org for django?
Hmm, is mod_python no longer used with python webapps? Or is it more
common (read: bleeding edge) to run them standalone ala rails?

> speedtouch modem drivers, should be kept
> tiacx (in unstable) wireless drivers, should be kept
> tiacx-mm (in unstable) wireless drivers, should be kept
If no one has any of this hardware, maybe we can "spread the love"
around and just adopt them for the sake of it?

> wxpython Description: A wxWidgets GUI toolkit for Python.
Are you *sure* this isn't a dep anywhere? I thought wxpython was used
in quite a lot of places

> zsh very popular. iphitus will adopt if nobody else will
Someone want to adopt this and get it off the list? Jeff? James?

_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 
Old 11-27-2007, 10:31 PM
"Dan McGee"
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

On Nov 27, 2007 5:22 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > jetty Description: A full-fledged production-grade lightweight Java Servlet Container
> Ugh? Isn't this a big deal with the java people? Dan can you provide
> some insight here?

Simo's maintaining tomcat (I think) which is really the only JSP/JSC
application I've used. I doubt many devs want to maintain this, so no
reason it shouldn't drop down to community where it might actually
find a maintainer.

-Dan

_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 
Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Simo Leone
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:31:12PM -0600, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 5:22 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > > jetty Description: A full-fledged production-grade lightweight Java Servlet Container
> > Ugh? Isn't this a big deal with the java people? Dan can you provide
> > some insight here?
>
> Simo's maintaining tomcat (I think) which is really the only JSP/JSC
> application I've used. I doubt many devs want to maintain this, so no
> reason it shouldn't drop down to community where it might actually
> find a maintainer.
>
Yes. The only reason I picked it up was because I had a teacher playing
around with it a bit, and I figured it was a big enough project to
interest enough people to throw in Extra. I don't really care where it
goes.

-S

_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 
Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
"Dan McGee"
 
Default Third list of removal candidates

On Nov 27, 2007 5:53 PM, Simo Leone <simo@archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:31:12PM -0600, Dan McGee wrote:
> > On Nov 27, 2007 5:22 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > > > jetty Description: A full-fledged production-grade lightweight Java Servlet Container
> > > Ugh? Isn't this a big deal with the java people? Dan can you provide
> > > some insight here?
> >
> > Simo's maintaining tomcat (I think) which is really the only JSP/JSC
> > application I've used. I doubt many devs want to maintain this, so no
> > reason it shouldn't drop down to community where it might actually
> > find a maintainer.
> >
> Yes. The only reason I picked it up was because I had a teacher playing
> around with it a bit, and I figured it was a big enough project to
> interest enough people to throw in Extra. I don't really care where it
> goes.

Heh, I meant jetty and not tomcat when saying it should be dropped
down to community. Do what you want with it though.

-Dan

_______________________________________________
arch-dev-public mailing list
arch-dev-public@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/arch-dev-public
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org