Old 11-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Eric Belanger

Default Third list of removal candidates

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:

>> mod_python used on Archlinux.org for django?
> Hmm, is mod_python no longer used with python webapps? Or is it more
> common (read: bleeding edge) to run them standalone ala rails?

Paul has adopted it so it's no longer in the list.

>> wxpython Description: A wxWidgets GUI toolkit for Python.
> Are you *sure* this isn't a dep anywhere? I thought wxpython was used
> in quite a lot of places

wxpython is only being used by a couple of community packages. Maybe you
are confusing it with wxgtk?

BTW, I've decided to adopted the fonts packages:
font-bitstream-speedo
font-misc-ethiopic
font-misc-meltho

believed to be clean.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Tobias Kieslich

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Eric Belanger wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Varun Acharya wrote:
>
> > On Nov 27, 2007 1:01 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> >

> >> idesk Description: idesk plops icons down on your root window (desktop).
> >

> > I don't use a minimal WM anymore, but isn't this the only way to get icons
> > onto your desktop in fluxbox/blackbox? I can't adopt this because I don't
> > use it at all, and testing it will be tough. I also remember this didn't
> > work the last time I tried on 64bit. Takers, anyone?
> >
> > Varun
> >

> I don't use it but I think that rox can put icons on the desktop. Can
> someone confirm?
ro can draw the desktop and can be configured to do a couple of things
like showning hiden windows as icons etc.
rox does not save files on the Desktop instead it creates symlinks to
them

-T

Old 11-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Tobias Kieslich

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Eric Belanger wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>
> >> mod_python used on Archlinux.org for django?
> > Hmm, is mod_python no longer used with python webapps? Or is it more
> > common (read: bleeding edge) to run them standalone ala rails?
>
> Paul has adopted it so it's no longer in the list.
>

> >> wxpython Description: A wxWidgets GUI toolkit for Python.
> > Are you *sure* this isn't a dep anywhere? I thought wxpython was used
> > in quite a lot of places
> >

> wxpython is only being used by a couple of community packages. Maybe you
> are confusing it with wxgtk?
This situation is tricky. I (kindof) maintain wxwidgets(as wxgtk is
officiall called) and wxpython is usually a bit ahead and ships it's own
version of wxwidgets(mostly snapshots), which installs in the same place
a a normal wxwidgets. So the wxpython people usually wanna have their
best and latest wxwidgets installed but that conflicts with the normal
wxwidgets.
To make matters worse, there is a *&%^load of programs out there that
usually don't build with the latest wxwidgets which means we have to
either patch them or have to wait with the wxwidgets update.

If wxpython goes to community I can see people bitching (wx in extra
must be updated right now, etc) or alternatively wxpython "providing"
wxwidgets which will actually break a bunch of apps from extra.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get rid of wxpython in extra, but
reality is, if wxwidgets and wxpython AND a good bunch of the wx(gtk)
based apps are not mnaintained by the same maintainer there will be
trouble ahead.

Solutions welcome.

-T

Old 11-28-2007, 05:52 AM
Eric Belanger

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Tobias Kieslich wrote:

>>> Hmm, is mod_python no longer used with python webapps? Or is it more
>>> common (read: bleeding edge) to run them standalone ala rails?
>>
>> Paul has adopted it so it's no longer in the list.

>>> Are you *sure* this isn't a dep anywhere? I thought wxpython was used
>>> in quite a lot of places
>>>

>> wxpython is only being used by a couple of community packages. Maybe you
>> are confusing it with wxgtk?
> This situation is tricky. I (kindof) maintain wxwidgets(as wxgtk is
> officiall called) and wxpython is usually a bit ahead and ships it's own
> version of wxwidgets(mostly snapshots), which installs in the same place
> a a normal wxwidgets. So the wxpython people usually wanna have their
> best and latest wxwidgets installed but that conflicts with the normal
> wxwidgets.
> To make matters worse, there is a *&%^load of programs out there that
> usually don't build with the latest wxwidgets which means we have to
> either patch them or have to wait with the wxwidgets update.
>
> If wxpython goes to community I can see people bitching (wx in extra
> must be updated right now, etc) or alternatively wxpython "providing"
> wxwidgets which will actually break a bunch of apps from extra.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get rid of wxpython in extra, but
> reality is, if wxwidgets and wxpython AND a good bunch of the wx(gtk)
> based apps are not mnaintained by the same maintainer there will be
> trouble ahead.
>
> Solutions welcome.
>
> -T

If that's the case, to minimize headaches, wxpython should remain in extra
with wxgtk and both should be maintained by the same maintainer. If no one is interested in
them, I guess I could adopt both as it a depends for gnuplot which I use
quite a lot.

Eric

believed to be clean.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:15 AM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Nov 28, 2007 12:52 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> If that's the case, to minimize headaches, wxpython should remain in extra
> with wxgtk and both should be maintained by the same maintainer. If no one is interested in
> them, I guess I could adopt both as it a depends for gnuplot which I use
> quite a lot.

I can adopt wxpython if needs be - I use it at work for some things,
though that's on win32.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:09 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2007/11/27, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca>:

> Hi,
>
> Here is the third sublist. It contains the packages from the second list
> that for which no decision has been made plus the remaining orphans in the
> wiki list. There might be a fourth sublist if there are still some stray
> orphans remaining.
>
> If you think a package should be kept or disagree about the comments, say
> it so. If you think all these packages can be removed, also say it so. If
> you want to adopt one of these packages, please adopt it through the
> dashboard and let me know.
>
> ======================================

[skipping gnome packages that Jan answered about]

> evms Description: Enterprise Volume Management System
I don't know who uses it but it's kinda important package.

> giftoxic Description: A GTK frontend for the giFT daemon
It's from 2003. giFT and OpenFT are from 2004 and 2005. Oldies... :-)

> gpart Description: Gpart is a tool which tries to guess the primary partition table of a PC-type hard disk in case the primary partition table in sector 0 is damaged
Testdisk rules here, gpart is not needed.
I've recovered >50 HDDs with Testdisk (DOS version, using since v4.1
IIRC) and it only improves with each version.

> hnb Description: hierarchical notebook (hnb) is a curses program to structure many kinds of data in one place
Pretty interesting app for plain text console lovers. Maybe I will
maintain it in Unsupported.

> httrack Description: HTTrack is an easy-to-use offline browser utility.
Adopted.

> ipvsadm Description: The IP Virtual Server administration utility
Same category as evms - useful, but I don't know who uses it.

> irda-utils Utilities for infrared communication between devices: should be kept
Should be kept.

kdesu provide same functionality
> libidl unused lib
> libsvg unused lib
Aren't they just non-specified depends? Names sound like they are/was
important somewhere.

> mrtg Description: Multi Router Traffic Grapher.
This is used on many servers (at least in "ISP department" where I
work), I think it should stay in Extra.

> pan Description: A powerful Newsgroup Article reader based on GTK2
Adopted by Eric. :-)

> powernowd Do we need it? We already have cpudyn and cpufreq. As a decision been made?
Not needed. We have all needed modules in kernel and cpufrequtils to
make them usable.
(see comments in previous thread)

> revelation Description: Password manager for the GNOME 2 desktop
Adopted.

> sharpconstruct Description: A real-time modeller for 3D sculpt models
Adopted.
It's no longer developed, so I will move it to unsupported once it
won't work/build anymore.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Nov 29, 2007 6:09 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > evms Description: Enterprise Volume Management System
> I don't know who uses it but it's kinda important package.

Due to your response, and mine, I adopted it.

> > hnb Description: hierarchical notebook (hnb) is a curses program to structure many kinds of data in one place
> Pretty interesting app for plain text console lovers. Maybe I will
> maintain it in Unsupported.

This is fun. I used it for a while and I think codemac did too, but
it's nothing spectacular.

> > irda-utils Utilities for infrared communication between devices: should be kept
> Should be kept.

Adopted after my response

Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM
"K. Piche"

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 14:09 +0200, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> 2007/11/27, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca>:
> >

> [skipping gnome packages that Jan answered about]
>
> > evms Description: Enterprise Volume Management System
> I don't know who uses it but it's kinda important package.
>
> > giftoxic Description: A GTK frontend for the giFT daemon
> It's from 2003. giFT and OpenFT are from 2004 and 2005. Oldies... :-)

I won't cry if we drop the gift set of packages. No updates in years.

K. Piche <kpiche@rogers.com>

Old 11-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Eric Belanger

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Roman Kyrylych wrote:

> 2007/11/27, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here is the third sublist. It contains the packages from the second list
>> that for which no decision has been made plus the remaining orphans in the
>> wiki list. There might be a fourth sublist if there are still some stray
>> orphans remaining.
>>
>> If you think a package should be kept or disagree about the comments, say
>> it so. If you think all these packages can be removed, also say it so. If
>> you want to adopt one of these packages, please adopt it through the
>> dashboard and let me know.
>>
>> ======================================

>> libidl unused lib
>> libsvg unused lib
> Aren't they just non-specified depends? Names sound like they are/was
> important somewhere.

libidl seems to be a legacy lib which is no longer needed. Packages in the
repo now uses libidl2.

libsvg is old. It's a devel snapshot dating from 2005.

About non-specified depends: I won't go through the thousands of packages
in the repo to see if their depends are correct. If a package has one
of these libs as a non-specified depends, a user will eventually get an error
and will file a bug report. The dev with the brocken package will need to
readd the missing depends in the repo.

>> powernowd Do we need it? We already have cpudyn and cpufreq. As a decision been made?
> Not needed. We have all needed modules in kernel and cpufrequtils to
> make them usable.
> (see comments in previous thread)

OK, just wanted to be sure.

believed to be clean.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Eric Belanger

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2007 12:52 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> If that's the case, to minimize headaches, wxpython should remain in extra
>> with wxgtk and both should be maintained by the same maintainer. If no one is interested in
>> them, I guess I could adopt both as it a depends for gnuplot which I use
>> quite a lot.
>
> I can adopt wxpython if needs be - I use it at work for some things,
> though that's on win32.

I've adopted both wxgtk and wxpython. If they give me too much trouble,
I'll ask for help.

believed to be clean.