-   -   msmtp, ssmtp, nbsmtp - 3 smpt forwarder in extra (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/5993-msmtp-ssmtp-nbsmtp-3-smpt-forwarder-extra.html)

Simo Leone 11-27-2007 03:41 AM

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 09:39:33PM -0600, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 7:58 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 29, 2007 7:15 PM, Tobias Kieslich <tobias@justdreams.de> wrote:
> > > I don't use msmtp anymore.
> >
> > Same, i dropped it for mutt's support. Still, it was easier to setup
> > than the others so I'll maintain it if someone wants...
>
> I'm one of the few who doesn't use a command line email client
> (gasp!), so I use msmtp for outgoing emails because it is super easy
> to set up. If no one else, I'd take it.
>
> nbsmtp? I'd vote to get rid of it just because I didn't know it existed.

ha, my thought exactly :)

-S

Tobias Kieslich 11-27-2007 06:00 AM

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Dan McGee wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2007 7:58 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 29, 2007 7:15 PM, Tobias Kieslich <tobias@justdreams.de> wrote:
> > > I don't use msmtp anymore.
> >
> > Same, i dropped it for mutt's support. Still, it was easier to setup
> > than the others so I'll maintain it if someone wants...
>
> I'm one of the few who doesn't use a command line email client
> (gasp!), so I use msmtp for outgoing emails because it is super easy
> to set up. If no one else, I'd take it.
I think the same about msmtp, it is REALLY easy to set up. Since I never
used ssmtp I don't know how it compares. I just think one forwarder
would be enough. But I'm fine with two as well, and I can keep
maintaining msmtp. I was just saying we can throw it out if no one needs
it.
-T

> nbsmtp? I'd vote to get rid of it just because I didn't know it existed.
yepp, I would throw it out, too

Jason Chu 11-27-2007 09:53 PM

msmtp, ssmtp, nbsmtp - 3 smpt forwarder in extra

Hail Tobias from the future!

What can you tell us of your travels? How was Christmas? And Boxing Day?

Happy New Year!

Jason

Tobias Kieslich 11-28-2007 12:39 AM

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> > Hail Tobias from the future!
> >
> > What can you tell us of your travels? How was Christmas? And Boxing Day?
>
> This is that Canadian holiday where you guys wear boxing gloves and
> punch each other, right?
Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now, punching Jason. Oh, no, wait! I
am too busy doging ...
ouch ... uh

Simo Leone 11-28-2007 08:30 PM

msmtp, ssmtp, nbsmtp - 3 smpt forwarder in extra

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 05:15:56PM -0800, Tobias Kieslich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it's been talked about it a bit. Jason said he is using ssmtp and he
> is willing to maintain it in extra. I was using msmtp but with mutt's
> new build in smtp (for those who havn't heard it b4, yes you heard
> right: mutt build in and smtp in one sentence) I don't use msmtp
> anymore. I don't say msmtp is a bad program. I just think we should ship
> maybe only one forwarder in extra and I'm fine with ssmtp. Anyone using
> nbsmtp at all?

Hmmm you know I was wondering why this thread was out of order in my
mail reader... then I realized you sent it tomorrow.

You might want to check your clock ;)

-S

Jason Chu 11-28-2007 08:54 PM

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:35:01PM -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 3:30 PM, Simo Leone <simo@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 05:15:56PM -0800, Tobias Kieslich wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > it's been talked about it a bit. Jason said he is using ssmtp and he
> > > is willing to maintain it in extra. I was using msmtp but with mutt's
> > > new build in smtp (for those who havn't heard it b4, yes you heard
> > > right: mutt build in and smtp in one sentence) I don't use msmtp
> > > anymore. I don't say msmtp is a bad program. I just think we should ship
> > > maybe only one forwarder in extra and I'm fine with ssmtp. Anyone using
> > > nbsmtp at all?
> > >
> > Hmmm you know I was wondering why this thread was out of order in my
> > mail reader... then I realized you sent it tomorrow.
>
> Back on topic, thanks.
>
> I say we keep msmtp and ssmtp, and remove nbsmtp - any problems with
> that? i will gladly maintain msmtp if no one wants it.

Whoops... now I feel dumb... I just realized that I use msmtp and not
ssmtp.

At this point I don't really care what happens with ssmtp.

Jason

Tobias Kieslich 11-28-2007 09:06 PM

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Jason Chu wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:35:01PM -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> > > Hmmm you know I was wondering why this thread was out of order in my
> > > mail reader... then I realized you sent it tomorrow.
> >
> > Back on topic, thanks.
> >
> > I say we keep msmtp and ssmtp, and remove nbsmtp - any problems with
> > that? i will gladly maintain msmtp if no one wants it.
>
> Whoops... now I feel dumb... I just realized that I use msmtp and not
> ssmtp.
>
> At this point I don't really care what happens with ssmtp.
So I vote for getting rid of ssmtp and nbsmtp. Objections?
Oh and I can keep maintaining it. It was never really a hassle...

-T