Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Gaetan Bisson

Default SLiM up for adoption

Hi devs, Hi TUs,

I am orphaning SLiM (login manager): upstream is dead, patches keep
piling up, and I actually stopped using that package a while ago.

As far as I know, our current package has only one unfixed bug:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26579

Anyhow, I will move that package to the AUR in a week or so unless a dev
or a TU wishes to adopt it.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan

Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 AM
Tobias Powalowski

Am 30.10.2011 23:54, schrieb Gaetan Bisson:
> Hi devs, Hi TUs,
>
> I am orphaning SLiM (login manager): upstream is dead, patches keep
> piling up, and I actually stopped using that package a while ago.
>
> As far as I know, our current package has only one unfixed bug:
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26579
>
> Anyhow, I will move that package to the AUR in a week or so unless a dev
> or a TU wishes to adopt it.
>
> Cheers.

Which login manager is the best then?
I switched from kdm to slim a while ago.
greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 AM
Gaetan Bisson

[2011-10-31 08:26:26 +0100] Tobias Powalowski:
> Which login manager is the best then?

In my opinion: none. I use startx.

If you need one and want something lightweight, there's always xdm; on
IRC, Allan mentioned being happy with lxdm too. Whichever works for you.

--
Gaetan

Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Allan McRae

[2011-10-31 08:26:26 +0100] Tobias Powalowski:

Which login manager is the best then?

In my opinion: none. I use startx.

If you need one and want something lightweight, there's always xdm; on
IRC, Allan mentioned being happy with lxdm too. Whichever works for you.

Yes... I use LDXM with this theme (to make it simpler!):
http://allanmcrae.com/2011/08/simple-arch-linux-theme-for-lxdm/

Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Tobias Powalowski

Am 31.10.2011 09:52, schrieb Allan McRae:
> On 31/10/11 18:35, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
>> [2011-10-31 08:26:26 +0100] Tobias Powalowski:
>>> Which login manager is the best then?
>>
>> In my opinion: none. I use startx.
>>
>> If you need one and want something lightweight, there's always xdm; on
>> IRC, Allan mentioned being happy with lxdm too. Whichever works for you.
>>

> Yes... I use LDXM with this theme (to make it simpler!):
> http://allanmcrae.com/2011/08/simple-arch-linux-theme-for-lxdm/
Ok will look at it and also on lightdm,
We should have a light alternative to gdm and kdm on the repos imho.

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Gaetan Bisson

[2011-10-31 09:53:12 +0100] Tobias Powalowski:
> Ok will look at it and also on lightdm,

Funny name for a package that depends on libwebkit.

> We should have a light alternative to gdm and kdm on the repos imho.

Even with slim gone, we would still have xorg-xdm and lxdm.

But I admit I thought more dev/TU would want to adopt slim...

--
Gaetan

Old 10-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Roman Kyrylych

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 00:54, Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi devs, Hi TUs,
>
> I am orphaning SLiM (login manager): upstream is dead, patches keep
> piling up, and I actually stopped using that package a while ago.
>
> As far as I know, our current package has only one unfixed bug:
>
> * * * *https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26579
>
> Anyhow, I will move that package to the AUR in a week or so unless a dev
> or a TU wishes to adopt it.

I use slim, so I can adopt it if noone else wants it.
It does it's job pretty well, the only annoying issue is
that some themes need to be adapted for 2-monitor configuration.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Gaetan Bisson

[2011-10-31 11:23:43 +0200] Roman Kyrylych:
> I use slim, so I can adopt it if noone else wants it.

Perfect. You can adopt it on archweb now or in a few days if you want to
make sure that nobody else is willing to maintain it.

> It does it's job pretty well, the only annoying issue is
> that some themes need to be adapted for 2-monitor configuration.

Feel free to add a patch for that.

--
Gaetan

Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Eric Blanger

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Tobias Powalowski
<tobias.powalowski@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 31.10.2011 09:52, schrieb Allan McRae:
>> On 31/10/11 18:35, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
>>> [2011-10-31 08:26:26 +0100] Tobias Powalowski:
>>>
>>> In my opinion: none. I use startx.
>>>
>>> If you need one and want something lightweight, there's always xdm; on
>>> IRC, Allan mentioned being happy with lxdm too. Whichever works for you.
>>>

>> Yes... *I use LDXM with this theme (to make it simpler!):
>> http://allanmcrae.com/2011/08/simple-arch-linux-theme-for-lxdm/
> Ok will look at it and also on lightdm,
> We should have a light alternative to gdm and kdm on the repos imho.

There is also qingy (with qingy-theme-arch) which I use and maintain.