Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default udev-174-1

Hi guys,

A new udev release is in testing. This one has seen lots of changes,
both upstream and in the package. See the install message for the
important packaging changes (essentially just removing arch-specific
stuff).

I'm especially interested in feedback from people who use fusectl and
configfs so we can figure out what regressions (if any) they are
experiencing. We'll probably have to add in some rules again to make
things work as before.

Give it a spin, let me know of any problems. I'll leave this in
[testing] for a while, but please sign off for both arches if it works
for you.

Cheers,

Tom

Upstream release notes (I removed some sections that don't apply to us):

udev 174
========
Bugfixes.

The path_id, usb_id, input_id tools are built-in commands now and
the stand-alone tools do not exist anymore. Static lists of file in
initramfs generators need to be updated. For testing, the commands
can still be executed standalone with 'udevadm test-builtin <cmd>'.

The fusectl filesystem is no longer mounted directly from udev.
Systemd systems will take care of mounting fusectl and configfs
now. Non-systemd systems need to ship their own rule if they
need these filesystems auto-mounted.

The long deprecated keys: SYSFS=, ID=, BUS= have been removed.

The support for 'udevadm trigger --type=failed, and the
RUN{fail_event_on_error} attribute was removed.

The udev control socket is now created in /run/udev/control
and no longer as an abstract namespace one.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Dave Reisner

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:59:20PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A new udev release is in testing. This one has seen lots of changes,
> both upstream and in the package. See the install message for the
> important packaging changes (essentially just removing arch-specific
> stuff).

I'll push a new mkinitcpio this weekend to adjust for the path changes
and the *_id helpers going away. It's not crucial as image creation
continues to work just fine, but I'm sure there will be some noise about
the missing file errors if I don't tag a new rel. I've also been meaning
to get busybox 1.19.2 out, but it requires a minor change to init as
well...

Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Tom Gundersen

Hi Dave,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> I'll push a new mkinitcpio this weekend to adjust for the path changes
> and the *_id helpers going away. It's not crucial as image creation
> continues to work just fine, but I'm sure there will be some noise about
> the missing file errors if I don't tag a new rel. I've also been meaning
> to get busybox 1.19.2 out, but it requires a minor change to init as
> well...

I forgot to warn about the ERRORS for missing files. They are harmless
as you say, but a bit scary.

When you push the next busybox could you include the init app (if it
is not already switched on). Also, what is the status of Thomas' cp -x
patch? It would be nice to have that too for the shutdown hook (and
hence the /usr hook) to finally work.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Myra Nelson

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 02:00, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
>> I'll push a new mkinitcpio this weekend to adjust for the path changes
>> and the *_id helpers going away. It's not crucial as image creation
>> continues to work just fine, but I'm sure there will be some noise about
>> the missing file errors if I don't tag a new rel. I've also been meaning
>> to get busybox 1.19.2 out, but it requires a minor change to init as
>> well...
>
> I forgot to warn about the ERRORS for missing files. They are harmless
> as you say, but a bit scary.
>
> When you push the next busybox could you include the init app (if it
> is not already switched on). Also, what is the status of Thomas' cp -x
> patch? It would be nice to have that too for the shutdown hook (and
> hence the /usr hook) to finally work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Error messages yes, but no warning about problems with the image and
the image is created and boots fine. Keeping up with the mailing list
makes all the difference in the world.

Keep up the good work.

Myra

Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Gaetan Bisson

[2011-10-19 23:59:20 +0200] Tom Gundersen:
> A new udev release is in testing. This one has seen lots of changes,
> both upstream and in the package. See the install message for the
> important packaging changes (essentially just removing arch-specific
> stuff).
>
> I'm especially interested in feedback from people who use fusectl and
> configfs so we can figure out what regressions (if any) they are
> experiencing. We'll probably have to add in some rules again to make
> things work as before.

I use none of those fancy 2.0 things, and stuff still works here.

Signoff x86_64.

--
Gaetan

Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Evangelos Foutras

On 20/10/11 00:59, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A new udev release is in testing. This one has seen lots of changes,
> both upstream and in the package. See the install message for the
> important packaging changes (essentially just removing arch-specific
> stuff).
>
> I'm especially interested in feedback from people who use fusectl and
> configfs so we can figure out what regressions (if any) they are
> experiencing. We'll probably have to add in some rules again to make
> things work as before.
>
> Give it a spin, let me know of any problems. I'll leave this in
> [testing] for a while, but please sign off for both arches if it works
> for you.

Signoff x86_64.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 PM
clemens fischer

'uname -rms' -> "Linux 3.0.7-spott x86_64"

On Thu-2011/10/20-09:41 Myra Nelson wrote:

> Error messages yes, but no warning about problems with the image and
> the image is created and boots fine. Keeping up with the mailing list
> makes all the difference in the world.

My system broke with udev-174-1. I have rules renaming eth* according
to their MACs for consistency, guarding against dependency on
order-of-detection, plus rules to customize a wlan running on an USB
device. These rules didn't run.

Basically, there is one rule file[1] calling out to a number of local
"simple" rules. These in turn are very short, containing only (LOCAL_)
"RUN"/"NAME" commands. The main rule assembles a name out of subsystem,
addresses, interfaces etc. This name points into a separate directory
"/etc/udev-local" where the appropriate one- or two liners live, and
there's a logging rule telling me what file names to use if there's
anything missing. All this is less complex than eg. udisks and relies
only on udevd. Are rules in /etc/udev ever called in the new version?
Do I need some compatibility to make this happen?

I didn't have the old udev package to downgrade to, but a backup from
where the old binaries and lib/udev stuff could be restored. Otherwise
I couldn't even post this.

clemens

[1] /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local-simple.rules

# /root/udev-rules/99-local-simple.rules
# == /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local-simple.rules
# _date: 20091002-1615_
# see <url:man:7 udev>

ENV{iam} = "99-local-simple"
ENV{LOCAL_LOGG} = "/usr/bin/logger -p daemon.info --"

ACTION == "add", ENV{.cmd} = "add", GOTO = "local_simple_check_subsys"
ACTION == "change", ENV{.cmd} = "change", GOTO = "local_simple_check_subsys"
ACTION == "remove", ENV{.cmd} = "remove", GOTO = "local_simple_check_subsys"
GOTO = "local_simple_end"
LABEL = "local_simple_check_subsys"
SUBSYSTEM == "block", ENV{DEVTYPE} == "partition", GOTO = "local_collect_disk_args"
SUBSYSTEM == "bluetooth", ENV{.subsystem} = "bluetooth", GOTO = "local_collect_if_args"
SUBSYSTEM == "net", ENV{.subsystem} = "net", GOTO = "local_collect_if_args"
SUBSYSTEM == "rfkill", ENV{.subsystem} = "rfkill", GOTO = "local_collect_if_args"
GOTO = "local_simple_end"

LABEL = "local_collect_disk_args"
# should anybody have setup site specific values, get them
IMPORT{parent} = "SPOTT_*"
#IMPORT{parent} = "PCI_*"
#IMPORT{parent} = "HID_*"
IMPORT{parent} = "ID_*"
ENV{.devtype} = "partition"
ENV{.subsystem} = "block"
ENV{ID_FS_TYPE} == "", ENV{LOCAL_EX} = "no filesystem", GOTO = "local_simple_exerr"
ENV{ID_FS_UUID} == "", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL} == "", ENV{LOCAL_EX} = "neither label nor uuid", GOTO = "local_simple_exerr"
ENV{ID_FS_UUID} == "?*", ENV{.fs} = "$env{ID_FS_TYPE}-$env{ID_FS_UUID}"
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL} == "?*", ENV{.fs} = "$env{ID_FS_TYPE}-$env{ID_FS_LABEL}"
ENV{.devid} = "$env{.devtype}-$env{.fs}"
ENV{LOCAL_EX} = "$env{.cmd} $env{.subsystem} $env{.devid}"
ENV{LOCAL_LOGG} == "?*", RUN += "$env{LOCAL_LOGG} $env{iam}: msg: $env{LOCAL_EX}"
GOTO = "local_get_controls"

LABEL = "local_collect_if_args"
# should anybody have setup site specific values, get them
IMPORT{parent} = "SPOTT_*"
#IMPORT{parent} = "PCI_*"
#IMPORT{parent} = "HID_*"
IMPORT{parent} = "ID_*"
ENV{.devtype} = "unknown"
ATTR{address} == "?*", ENV{.devtype} = "$attr{address}"
ENV{.devtype} == "unknown", ATTR{name} == "?*", ENV{.devtype} = "$attr{name}"
#ENV{.devtype} == "unknown", ENV{PRODUCT} == "?*", ENV{.devtype} = "$env{PRODUCT}"
ENV{.devtype} == "unknown", ENV{.devtype} = "$kernel"
ENV{.devid} = "$env{.devtype}"
ENV{LOCAL_EX} = "$env{.cmd} $env{.subsystem} $env{.devid}"
ENV{LOCAL_LOGG} == "?*", RUN += "$env{LOCAL_LOGG} $env{iam}: msg: $env{LOCAL_EX}"
#GOTO = "local_get_controls"

LABEL = "local_get_controls"
# to make all this configurable, either an external program or the
# "test-trick" is necessary, because the "==" operator can only match on
# literals!
ENV{LOCAL_DEV} = "/etc/udev-local/$env{iam}-$env{.subsystem}-$env{.devid}-$env{.cmd}"
TEST != "$env{LOCAL_DEV}", ENV{LOCAL_EX} = "no $env{LOCAL_DEV}", GOTO = "local_simple_exerr"
IMPORT = "$env{LOCAL_DEV}"
ENV{LOCAL_LOGG} == "?*", RUN += "$env{LOCAL_LOGG} LOCAL_DEV:$env{LOCAL_DEV} LOCAL_RUN:$env{LOCAL_RUN}"
ENV{LOCAL_OPT_last_rule} == "?*", GOTO = "local_simple_lastrule"
ENV{LOCAL_GROUP} == "?*", GROUP = "$env{LOCAL_GROUP}"
ENV{LOCAL_MODE} == "?*", MODE = "$env{LOCAL_MODE}"
ENV{LOCAL_NAME} == "?*", NAME = "$env{LOCAL_NAME}"
ENV{LOCAL_OWNER} == "?*", OWNER = "$env{LOCAL_OWNER}"
ENV{LOCAL_PROGRAM} == "?*", PROGRAM = "$env{LOCAL_PROGRAM}", ENV{.result} = "%c"
ENV{LOCAL_LOGG} == "?*", ENV{.result} == "?*", RUN += "$env{LOCAL_LOGG} LOCAL_DEV:$env{LOCAL_DEV} RESULT:$env{.result}"
ENV{LOCAL_RUN} == "?*", RUN += "$env{LOCAL_RUN}"
ENV{LOCAL_SYMLINK} == "?*", SYMLINK += "$env{LOCAL_SYMLINK}"
GOTO = "local_simple_end"

LABEL = "local_simple_lastrule"
ENV{LOCAL_GROUP} == "?*", GROUP = "$env{LOCAL_GROUP}", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ENV{LOCAL_MODE} == "?*", MODE = "$env{LOCAL_MODE}", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ENV{LOCAL_NAME} == "?*", NAME = "$env{LOCAL_NAME}", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ENV{LOCAL_OWNER} == "?*", OWNER = "$env{LOCAL_OWNER}", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ENV{LOCAL_PROGRAM} == "?*", PROGRAM = "$env{LOCAL_PROGRAM}", ENV{.result} = "%c"
ENV{LOCAL_LOGG} == "?*", ENV{.result} == "?*", RUN += "$env{LOCAL_LOGG} LOCAL_DEV:$env{LOCAL_DEV} RESULT:$env{.result}"
ENV{LOCAL_RUN} == "?*", RUN += "$env{LOCAL_RUN}", OPTIONS="last_rule"
ENV{LOCAL_SYMLINK} == "?*", SYMLINK += "$env{LOCAL_SYMLINK}"
GOTO = "local_simple_end"

# error checking
LABEL = "local_simple_exerr"
ENV{LOCAL_LOGG} == "?*", RUN += "$env{LOCAL_LOGG} $env{iam}: error: $env{LOCAL_EX}"

LABEL="local_simple_end"

Old 10-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM, clemens fischer
<ino-news@spotteswoode.dnsalias.org> wrote:
> My system broke with udev-174-1. *I have rules renaming eth* according
> to their MACs for consistency, guarding against dependency on
> order-of-detection, plus rules to customize a wlan running on an USB
> device. *These rules didn't run.

Could you have a look in your logs (dmesg in particular) for any
messages? Make sure that logging is turned on in /etc/udev.conf. If a
rule does not work, a warning/error should be printed to dmesg.

> Basically, there is one rule file[1] calling out to a number of local
> "simple" rules. *These in turn are very short, containing only (LOCAL_)
> "RUN"/"NAME" commands. *The main rule assembles a name out of subsystem,
> addresses, interfaces etc. *This name points into a separate directory
> "/etc/udev-local" where the appropriate one- or two liners live, and
> there's a logging rule telling me what file names to use if there's
> anything missing. *All this is less complex than eg. udisks and relies
> only on udevd.

I can't see what is wrong off-hand, so please file a bug report about
this so it is not forgotten. (I didn't figure out how your rules are
supposed to work, so there might be something obvious that I
missed...).

> Are rules in /etc/udev ever called in the new version?

Yes, /etc/udev/rules.d/ are called and take precedence over
/lib/udev/rules.d/ as always.

> Do I need some compatibility to make this happen?

Shouldn't be needed.

Note that some deprecated things were removed in 174, but you should
have been seeing warnings about this for years, so that probably is
not the problem here (see the NEWS file for details).

Cheers,

Tom

Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 PM
clemens fischer

Tom Gundersen wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM, clemens fischer <...> wrote:
>
>> My system broke with udev-174-1. *I have rules renaming eth*
>> according to their MACs for consistency, guarding against dependency
>> on order-of-detection, plus rules to customize a wlan running on an
>> USB device. *These rules didn't run.
>
> Could you have a look in your logs (dmesg in particular) for any
> messages? Make sure that logging is turned on in /etc/udev.conf. If a
> rule does not work, a warning/error should be printed to dmesg.

Nothing wrong with any rules (sigh).

>> Basically, there is one rule file[1] calling out to a number of local
>> "simple" rules. *These in turn are very short, containing only
>> (LOCAL_) "RUN"/"NAME" commands. *The main rule assembles a name out
>> of subsystem, addresses, interfaces etc. *This name points into
>> a separate directory "/etc/udev-local" where the appropriate one- or
>> two liners live, and there's a logging rule telling me what file
>> names to use if there's anything missing. *All this is less complex
>> than eg. udisks and relies only on udevd.
>
> I can't see what is wrong off-hand, so please file a bug report about
> this so it is not forgotten. (I didn't figure out how your rules are
> supposed to work, so there might be something obvious that
> I missed...).

Example:

# /etc/udev-local/99-local-simple-net-00:11:22:33:44:55-add
# _date: 20091003-2228_
LOCAL_NAME=nicX
LOCAL_OPT_last_rule=yes

My rule file sees an "add" event for the "net" device with MAC
"00:11:22:33:44:55" and calls up the short thing above.

Another one:

# /etc/udev-local/99-local-simple-net-00:1f:1f:55:99:33-add
# _date: 20100520-0032_
#
#LOCAL_RUN="/bin/sh -c '{ /usr/bin/env; echo 00-done; } >> /tmp/netif.txt'"
LOCAL_RUN="/root/bin/wlan-dev.sh add"

The script wlan-dev.sh does the setup for an adhoc wlan (that USB thing
cannot be used as a WPA2 AP).

-or-

# /etc/udev-local/99-local-simple-block-partition-vfat-7000-F3A3-add
# _date: 20100104-1948_
LOCAL_RUN=/bin/mount -t vfat -o defaults,nodev,noexec /dev/disk/by-uuid/7000-F3A3 /home/ino/Desktop/usb-stick-7000-F3A3

# /etc/udev-local/99-local-simple-block-partition-vfat-7000-F3A3-remove
# _date: 20100104-1950_
LOCAL_RUN=/bin/umount -v /home/ino/Desktop/usb-stick-7000-F3A3

As mentioned, no dependencies other than udevd(8) to get all sorts of
automatix without ever touching udev-rules. This was way easier to
setup and use then any of the chubby gimmix like ifplugd(8), udisks(1)
etc.

Of course the magic lies in the file names in etc/udev-local/, so the
main rule file gives a warning mentioning the precise file name it
cooked up to find it.

>> Are rules in /etc/udev ever called in the new version?
>
> Yes, /etc/udev/rules.d/ are called and take precedence over
> /lib/udev/rules.d/ as always.

Stupid me, the udev log tells whenever any rule files are touched, so
I could have seen this myself.

clemens