-   -   gnome 3.2 in testing (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/581281-gnome-3-2-testing.html)

Ionut Biru 09-28-2011 07:41 PM

gnome 3.2 in testing

Hi,

take for a spin gnome 3.2 from testing and report any packaging bugs to
our tracker.

TUs, check your packages and rebuild for eventually soname bumps(e.g
evolution-data-server).

NVIDIA users be aware that xorg-server 1.11 from testing is incompatible
with the current nvidia driver, even with IgnoreABI. You can switch to
nouveau or add xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-synaptics xorg-server-common
xorg-server to Ignorepkg.

--
Ionuț

Flavio Costa 09-29-2011 01:16 AM

gnome 3.2 in testing

After the upgrade GDM was stuck on a black screen with only the mouse
cursor.
Wiping /var/lib/gdm fixed it.

--
Flávio Coutinho da Costa

Matthew Monaco 09-30-2011 06:35 PM

gnome 3.2 in testing

take for a spin gnome 3.2 from testing and report any packaging bugs to our
tracker.

TUs, check your packages and rebuild for eventually soname bumps(e.g
evolution-data-server).

NVIDIA users be aware that xorg-server 1.11 from testing is incompatible with
the current nvidia driver, even with IgnoreABI. You can switch to nouveau or add
xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-synaptics xorg-server-common xorg-server to Ignorepkg.

Anyone have solutions for these?:

My two most annoying problems right now are

1) The font of gnome-panel is much too dark, I can't read the window
list or clock unless my mouse is hovering.

2) My screen keeps being shut off after about 10 minutes (power-manager?)
Even though I have it set to 1 hr. I wouldn't mind even disabling this
altogether...

Karol Blazewicz 09-30-2011 06:40 PM

gnome 3.2 in testing

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27@0x01b.net> wrote:
> *2) My screen keeps being shut off after about 10 minutes (power-manager?)
> * * Even though I have it set to 1 hr. I wouldn't mind even disabling this
> * * altogether...

I know nothing about Gnome, but
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Power_Management_Signaling

Ionut Biru 09-30-2011 06:58 PM

gnome 3.2 in testing

take for a spin gnome 3.2 from testing and report any packaging bugs to
our tracker.

ignore telepathy-glib updates for now. 0.15.6 breaks gnome-shell. If you
managed to break it downgrade too 0.15.5.

--
Ionuț

Ionut Biru 09-30-2011 07:22 PM

gnome 3.2 in testing

take for a spin gnome 3.2 from testing and report any packaging bugs to
our tracker.

ignore telepathy-glib updates for now. 0.15.6 breaks gnome-shell. If you
managed to break it downgrade too 0.15.5.

fixed in telepathy-glib 0.15.6-2 for now by reverting the faulty commit

--
Ionuț

"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" 10-02-2011 06:40 PM

gnome 3.2 in testing

It would appear that on Sep 30, Matthew Monaco did say that:

> On 09/28/2011 01:41 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:
> > NVIDIA users be aware that xorg-server 1.11 from testing is incompatible
> > with
> > the current nvidia driver, even with IgnoreABI. You can switch to nouveau or
> > add
> > xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-synaptics xorg-server-common xorg-server to
> > Ignorepkg.

I didn't see Ionut Biru's post, and actually not being a gnome user I'm
surprised I opened one from this thread. But the bit about "NVIDIA users be
aware" kinda caught my eye.

Since the version of xorg in question is "from testing" I suspect I've
nothing to worry about and that it wouldn't wind up in the main repo while
its still "incompatible". But since I know for a fact that my PC's built in
Nvidia adapter is extremely incompatible with nouveau, I'd like to
understand what and where this "Ignorepkg" is?