Old 10-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Myra Nelson

Default gnome 3.2 in testing

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 18:40, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@ttlc.net> wrote:

> It would appear that on Sep 30, Matthew Monaco did say that:
>
>> On 09/28/2011 01:41 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> > NVIDIA users be aware that xorg-server 1.11 from testing is incompatible
>> > with
>> > the current nvidia driver, even with IgnoreABI. You can switch to nouveau or
>> > add
>> > xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-synaptics xorg-server-common xorg-server to
>> > Ignorepkg.
>
> I didn't see Ionut Biru's post, and actually not being a gnome user I'm
> surprised I opened one from this thread. But the bit about "NVIDIA users be
> aware" kinda caught my eye.
>
> Since the version of xorg in question is "from testing" I suspect I've
> nothing to worry about and that it wouldn't wind up in the main repo while
> its still "incompatible". But since I know for a fact that my PC's built in
> Nvidia adapter is extremely incompatible with nouveau, I'd like to
> understand what and where this "Ignorepkg" is?
>
> --
> | *~^~ * ~^~
> | *<?> * <?> * * * Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
> | * * *^ * * * * * * * *J(tWdy)P
> | * *\___/ * * * * <<jtwdyp@ttlc.net>>

Joe:

Ignorepkg is in pacman.conf.

Myra

Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Oct 2, Myra Nelson did say:

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 18:40, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@ttlc.net> wrote:
> > Since the version of xorg in question is "from testing" I suspect I've
> > nothing to worry about and that it wouldn't wind up in the main repo while
> > its still "incompatible". But since I know for a fact that my PC's built in
> > Nvidia adapter is extremely incompatible with nouveau, I'd like to
> > understand what and where this "Ignorepkg" is?
>
> Joe:
>
> Ignorepkg is in pacman.conf.

Oh... Then I guess that for testing purposes users are expected to avoid
updating those packages to the versions with compatibility issues with
whatever the heck is currently being tested?

In which case I'll fall back on my hope that it wouldn't make it to the
main stream repos until the compatibility issue had been resolved...

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 PM
rafael ff1

2011/10/3 Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@ttlc.net>:

> It would appear that on Oct 2, Myra Nelson did say:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 18:40, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp@ttlc.net> wrote:
>> > Since the version of xorg in question is "from testing" I suspect I've
>> > nothing to worry about and that it wouldn't wind up in the main repo while
>> > its still "incompatible". But since I know for a fact that my PC's built in
>> > Nvidia adapter is extremely incompatible with nouveau, I'd like to
>> > understand what and where this "Ignorepkg" is?
>>
>> Joe:
>>
>> Ignorepkg is in pacman.conf.
>
> Oh... Then I guess that for testing purposes users are expected to avoid
> updating those packages to the versions with compatibility issues with
> whatever the heck is currently being tested?
>
> In which case I'll fall back on my hope that it wouldn't make it to the
> main stream repos until the compatibility issue had been resolved...
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> | * <0> * <-> * * Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
> | * *~\___/~ * * *<<jtwdyp@ttlc.net>>

I'm using proprietary nvidia driver with gnome 3.2.0 and it works
without problem, and I'm not using [testing].

-- Rafael