-   -   curl 7.22.0-2 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/580643-curl-7-22-0-2-a.html)

Dave Reisner 09-27-2011 12:37 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

Hi all,

I dropped a new curl in testing a few days ago with only one real
change. It now builds and uses its own cacert bundle which is dropped in
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt. This is similar to the ca-certificates
bundle, but taken directly from Mozilla and processed with an in tree
perl script.

With this, the ca-certificates dep is of course removed. I don't expect
any regressions, but please dig up your curl/https powered apps and make
sure they still work.

Please signoff both arches.

Regards,
Dave

Stéphane Gaudreault 09-27-2011 03:06 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

Le 27 Septembre 2011 08:37:41 Dave Reisner a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I dropped a new curl in testing a few days ago with only one real
> change. It now builds and uses its own cacert bundle which is dropped in
> /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt. This is similar to the ca-certificates
> bundle, but taken directly from Mozilla and processed with an in tree
> perl script.
>
> With this, the ca-certificates dep is of course removed. I don't expect
> any regressions, but please dig up your curl/https powered apps and make
> sure they still work.
>
> Please signoff both arches.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Signoff i686.

Stéphane

Jan de Groot 09-27-2011 09:30 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

On di, 2011-09-27 at 08:37 -0400, Dave Reisner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I dropped a new curl in testing a few days ago with only one real
> change. It now builds and uses its own cacert bundle which is dropped in
> /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt. This is similar to the ca-certificates
> bundle, but taken directly from Mozilla and processed with an in tree
> perl script.
>
> With this, the ca-certificates dep is of course removed. I don't expect
> any regressions, but please dig up your curl/https powered apps and make
> sure they still work.

What's the purpose of this? The whole reasoning behind ca-certificates
is to have a central certificate store. Remember that the
ca-certificates package as maintained by debian originates from NSS, so
basically these contain the same certificates.

IMHO this is a big -1 from my side.

Thomas Bächler 09-28-2011 12:27 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

Am 27.09.2011 23:30, schrieb Jan de Groot:
>> I dropped a new curl in testing a few days ago with only one real
>> change. It now builds and uses its own cacert bundle which is dropped in
>> /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt. This is similar to the ca-certificates
>> bundle, but taken directly from Mozilla and processed with an in tree
>> perl script.
>>
>> With this, the ca-certificates dep is of course removed. I don't expect
>> any regressions, but please dig up your curl/https powered apps and make
>> sure they still work.
>
> What's the purpose of this? The whole reasoning behind ca-certificates
> is to have a central certificate store. Remember that the
> ca-certificates package as maintained by debian originates from NSS, so
> basically these contain the same certificates.
>
> IMHO this is a big -1 from my side.

Agreed, without further explanation this seems like complete nonsense.

Dave Reisner 09-28-2011 12:52 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 02:27:47PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 27.09.2011 23:30, schrieb Jan de Groot:
> >> I dropped a new curl in testing a few days ago with only one real
> >> change. It now builds and uses its own cacert bundle which is dropped in
> >> /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt. This is similar to the ca-certificates
> >> bundle, but taken directly from Mozilla and processed with an in tree
> >> perl script.
> >>
> >> With this, the ca-certificates dep is of course removed. I don't expect
> >> any regressions, but please dig up your curl/https powered apps and make
> >> sure they still work.
> >
> > What's the purpose of this? The whole reasoning behind ca-certificates
> > is to have a central certificate store. Remember that the
> > ca-certificates package as maintained by debian originates from NSS, so
> > basically these contain the same certificates.
> >
> > IMHO this is a big -1 from my side.
>
> Agreed, without further explanation this seems like complete nonsense.

Well, you're both probably right and this should be fixed in
ca-certificates. As it currently stands with curl using ca-bundle.crt
versus wget using ca-certificate.crt....

$ wget --spider https://signin.ebay.com
Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
--2011-09-28 08:36:03-- https://signin.ebay.com/
Resolving signin.ebay.com... 66.211.181.96, 66.135.202.140, 66.135.205.10
Connecting to signin.ebay.com|66.211.181.96|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify signin.ebay.com's certificate, issued by
`/C=US/O=VeriSign, Inc./OU=VeriSign Trust Network/OU=Terms of use at
https://www.verisign.com/rpa (c)06/CN=VeriSign Class 3 Extended
Validation SSL CA':
Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority. To connect to
signin.ebay.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

$ curl -I https://signin.ebay.com
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
ETag: W/"354-1117144930000"
Last-Modified: Thu, 26 May 2005 22:02:10 GMT

So we're missing the VeriSign Class 3 cert which seems extremely odd.
As per Verisign[1], all class 3 root certs are in valid and should
remain in root certificate bundles.

I'd love to do a comparison and find out what else is missing from the
debian sourced bundle, but there's no comments in the ca-certificates
file which makes that job a bit more difficult.

dave

[1] http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html

Thomas Bächler 09-28-2011 02:01 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

Am 28.09.2011 14:52, schrieb Dave Reisner:
>>> What's the purpose of this? The whole reasoning behind ca-certificates
>>> is to have a central certificate store. Remember that the
>>> ca-certificates package as maintained by debian originates from NSS, so
>>> basically these contain the same certificates.
>>>
>>> IMHO this is a big -1 from my side.
>>
>> Agreed, without further explanation this seems like complete nonsense.
>>

> Well, you're both probably right and this should be fixed in
> ca-certificates. As it currently stands with curl using ca-bundle.crt
> versus wget using ca-certificate.crt....

Well then, we know what we should actually fix, as your "fix" will only
fix curl, but not wget and others.

Dave Reisner 09-28-2011 02:32 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 04:01:01PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:

> >> Agreed, without further explanation this seems like complete nonsense.
> >>

> > Well, you're both probably right and this should be fixed in
> > ca-certificates. As it currently stands with curl using ca-bundle.crt
> > versus wget using ca-certificate.crt....
>
> Well then, we know what we should actually fix, as your "fix" will only
> fix curl, but not wget and others.

Sure. Until I, or someone else, has time to look into it, I'm leaving
this in testing since curl is a dependency of over 100 packages.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26135

dave

Jan de Groot 09-28-2011 02:39 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 08:52 -0400, Dave Reisner wrote:
> So we're missing the VeriSign Class 3 cert which seems extremely odd.
> As per Verisign[1], all class 3 root certs are in valid and should
> remain in root certificate bundles.

We're not missing it in ca-certificates, we just have a different one.
Both ca-bundle.crt and ca-certificates.crt contain the same serial
number for this certificate, the only difference I can find is this:

Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption
Signature Algorithm: md2WithRSAEncryption

curl uses GNUTLS, which doesn't support MD2. OpenSSL should support it,
but it's deprecated. Our builds should still support md2, but I don't
know how far the application has to go to support it.

Our ca-certificates package contains these CAs that are not in mozilla
NSS:
- brasil.gov.br
- cacert.org
- debconf.org
- gouv.fr
- signet.pl
- spi-inc.org

We patch cacert.org and spi-inc.org into NSS, so that narrows the list a
bit. IMHO we should just drop ca-certificates in its current shape and
replace it with a dump from our NSS package. We could even discuss about
the inclusion of spi-inc.org and cacert certificates.

Dave Reisner 09-28-2011 03:01 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 04:39:20PM +0200, Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 08:52 -0400, Dave Reisner wrote:
> > So we're missing the VeriSign Class 3 cert which seems extremely odd.
> > As per Verisign[1], all class 3 root certs are in valid and should
> > remain in root certificate bundles.
>
> We're not missing it in ca-certificates, we just have a different one.
> Both ca-bundle.crt and ca-certificates.crt contain the same serial
> number for this certificate, the only difference I can find is this:
>
> Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption
> Signature Algorithm: md2WithRSAEncryption
>
> curl uses GNUTLS, which doesn't support MD2. OpenSSL should support it,

Our curl does not link against gnutls. Upstream doesn't recommend this,
either, when openssl is available.

> know how far the application has to go to support it.
>
> Our ca-certificates package contains these CAs that are not in mozilla
> NSS:
> - brasil.gov.br
wget can't verify this cert.

> - debconf.org
wget can't verify this cert.

> - signet.pl
wget can't verify this cert. The common name is
www.bptp.lodz.telekomunikacja.pl, but wget won't verify that either.

> We patch cacert.org and spi-inc.org into NSS, so that narrows the list a
> bit. IMHO we should just drop ca-certificates in its current shape and
> replace it with a dump from our NSS package. We could even discuss about
> the inclusion of spi-inc.org and cacert certificates.

Sure, I'm very interested in doing this. The current certs package is
pretty ugly. Unfortunately, every distro seems to have their own method
of managing this.

Thomas Bächler 10-06-2011 03:44 PM

curl 7.22.0-2

Am 28.09.2011 17:01, schrieb Dave Reisner:
>> We patch cacert.org and spi-inc.org into NSS, so that narrows the list a
>> bit. IMHO we should just drop ca-certificates in its current shape and
>> replace it with a dump from our NSS package. We could even discuss about
>> the inclusion of spi-inc.org and cacert certificates.
>
> Sure, I'm very interested in doing this. The current certs package is
> pretty ugly. Unfortunately, every distro seems to have their own method
> of managing this.

Did you make any progress on this?