-   -   ftp.archlinux.org (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/576971-ftp-archlinux-org.html)

Eric Bélanger 09-17-2011 08:10 PM

ftp.archlinux.org

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A lot of people think ftp.archlinux.org is some special server and when
> kernel.org was breached, I saw claims like "the packages are the same as
> on ftp.archlinux.org", which made me worry that some users might trust
> this server too much. Since it's also limited to 50kb/s per connection,
> I think ftp.archlinux.org should either point to one of our servers,
> redirect to a random server (like the archlinux.de download links) or be
> removed.
>
> If it exists for a special reason and you want to keep it, I'm fine with
> that too.
>
> --
> Florian Pritz

Tier-1 mirrors syncs from ftp.archlinux.org so I I don't think any of
your proposed soloution would work. We could reduce the connection
speed below 50kb/s but that might be a PITA for people that make a
reasonable use of this server like us. You need to keep in mind that
in addition to the repos, this server also has sourceballs for (L)GPL
projects as well as source for dead projects and SCM snapshots (see
other directory). Probably education would be the best solutions
here, i.e. post a reminder.

Pierre Schmitz 09-17-2011 08:46 PM

ftp.archlinux.org

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 16:10:24 -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A lot of people think ftp.archlinux.org is some special server and when
>> kernel.org was breached, I saw claims like "the packages are the same as
>> on ftp.archlinux.org", which made me worry that some users might trust
>> this server too much. Since it's also limited to 50kb/s per connection,
>> I think ftp.archlinux.org should either point to one of our servers,
>> redirect to a random server (like the archlinux.de download links) or be
>> removed.
>>
>> If it exists for a special reason and you want to keep it, I'm fine with
>> that too.
>>
>> --
>> Florian Pritz
>>

> Tier-1 mirrors syncs from ftp.archlinux.org so I I don't think any of
> your proposed soloution would work. We could reduce the connection
> speed below 50kb/s but that might be a PITA for people that make a
> reasonable use of this server like us. You need to keep in mind that
> in addition to the repos, this server also has sourceballs for (L)GPL
> projects as well as source for dead projects and SCM snapshots (see
> other directory). Probably education would be the best solutions
> here, i.e. post a reminder.

To clarify:

ftp.archlinux.org is just a mirror and not directly managed by us. It's
is also not a tier 1 miror as no other mirrors sync from it. As Eric
pointed out this is also a complete mirror which might include things
which might not be found on other mirrors.

Pierre