Old 08-30-2011, 03:18 AM
Gaetan Bisson

Default util-linux-2.20-1 and sysvinit-2.88-3

[2011-08-29 23:34:44 +0200] Tom Gundersen:
> Upstream update of util-linux and removed mountpoint binary from
> sysvinit as it is now provided by util-linux.
>
> Major changes to util-linux:
>
> - agetty gets most of the features from mingetty.
> - dmesg gets lots of new filtering capabilities (try dmesg -l err,warn)
> - mountpoint moves here from sysvinit
>
> We still patch hwclock to move the adjustment file from /etc to /var.
> I'm not a big fan of this, and will return to the problem for 2.21.

Signoff x86_64.

--
Gaetan

Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Dave Reisner

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:34:44PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Upstream update of util-linux and removed mountpoint binary from
> sysvinit as it is now provided by util-linux.
>
> Major changes to util-linux:
>
> - agetty gets most of the features from mingetty.
> - dmesg gets lots of new filtering capabilities (try dmesg -l err,warn)

dmesg -u is pretty awesome, too. You can actually get away without a
syslog with this feature.

> - mountpoint moves here from sysvinit
>
> We still patch hwclock to move the adjustment file from /etc to /var.
> I'm not a big fan of this, and will return to the problem for 2.21.
>
> Please test and signoff.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

but uhh...

$ ddate
bash: ddate: command not found

I'm looking forward to next Prickle-Prickle and I'm feeling a bit lost
without my calendar...

oh fine. signoff x86_64.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:14 AM
Allan McRae

Am 29.08.2011 23:34, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> Hi guys,
>
> Upstream update of util-linux and removed mountpoint binary from
> sysvinit as it is now provided by util-linux.
>
> Major changes to util-linux:
>
> - agetty gets most of the features from mingetty.
> - dmesg gets lots of new filtering capabilities (try dmesg -l err,warn)
> - mountpoint moves here from sysvinit
>
> We still patch hwclock to move the adjustment file from /etc to /var.
> I'm not a big fan of this, and will return to the problem for 2.21.
>
> Please test and signoff.

No signoff.

http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=131478775113617&w=2
and even with that patch
http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=131486940614220&w=2

We don't want a broken dmesg, do we?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 29.08.2011 23:34, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
>> Please test and signoff.
>
> No signoff.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=131478775113617&w=2
> and even with that patch
> http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=131486940614220&w=2
>
> We don't want a broken dmesg, do we?

Fun as it would be, I guess we don't. I'll push a new version once
that last report has been dealt with (it's not obvious to me if the
new or the old behavior is correct there, the difference is just in
indentation, and a couple of instances of invalid characters that are
treated differently (both broken)).

Cheers,

Tom

Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 01.09.2011 12:20, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Am 29.08.2011 23:34, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
>>> Please test and signoff.
>>
>> No signoff.
>>
>> http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=131478775113617&w=2
>> and even with that patch
>> http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=131486940614220&w=2
>>
>> We don't want a broken dmesg, do we?
>
> Fun as it would be, I guess we don't. I'll push a new version once
> that last report has been dealt with (it's not obvious to me if the
> new or the old behavior is correct there, the difference is just in
> indentation, and a couple of instances of invalid characters that are
> treated differently (both broken)).

With timing printk enabled, you won't notice problems anyway, so we
could use dmesg with the first patch.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 01.09.2011 12:20, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
>>>
>>> No signoff.
>>>
>>> http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=131478775113617&w=2
>>> and even with that patch
>>> http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=131486940614220&w=2
>>>
>>> We don't want a broken dmesg, do we?
>>
>> Fun as it would be, I guess we don't. I'll push a new version once
>> that last report has been dealt with (it's not obvious to me if the
>> new or the old behavior is correct there, the difference is just in
>> indentation, and a couple of instances of invalid characters that are
>> treated differently (both broken)).
>
> With timing printk enabled, you won't notice problems anyway, so we
> could use dmesg with the first patch.

Ah, good point. I'll give the guys at util-linux a bit more time to
repsond before pushing the patch though, just in case they want to add
another fix.

-t