Old 08-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Florian Pritz

Default Removing fam?

Hi,

It's been over 7 years since the last upstream update and gamin provides
nearly all the functions without requiring a daemon and it uses inotify.

As for NFS support, gamin monitors local events so it won't affect users
having the home on NFS [1].

I think we shouldn't support dead software and replace fam with gamin.

[1] http://people.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/differences.html

--
Florian Pritz

Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at> wrote:
> I think we shouldn't support dead software

As discussed on IRC: +1 from me.

-t

Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Jan de Groot

On Sun, 2011-08-21 at 17:48 +0200, Florian Pritz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's been over 7 years since the last upstream update and gamin provides
> nearly all the functions without requiring a daemon and it uses inotify.
>
> As for NFS support, gamin monitors local events so it won't affect users
> having the home on NFS [1].
>
> I think we shouldn't support dead software and replace fam with gamin.

My thoughts on this subject:
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2011-July/020963.html

I'd say: drop where possible when native inotify exists, otherwise
replace with gamin.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Andrea Scarpino

On 21 August 2011 18:55, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> As discussed on IRC: +1 from me.
I'm in favour of removing fam, but please stop discussing decisions on IRC.
I cannot join our dev channel every day and it doesn't have a log file
accessible through the website neither and I'd like to know the
benefits/disadvantages of fam, or everything else, removal.

Anyway Jan discussed this a couple of months ago here[1]

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2011-July/020963.html

--
Andrea

Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 21 August 2011 18:55, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>> As discussed on IRC: +1 from me.
> I'm in favour of removing fam, but please stop discussing decisions on IRC.
> I cannot join our dev channel every day and it doesn't have a log file
> accessible through the website neither and I'd like to know the
> benefits/disadvantages of fam, or everything else, removal.

In this case, Florian summarized the discussion in his email.

-t

Old 08-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Florian Pritz

I create https://www.archlinux.org/todo/95/