Old 08-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Dave Reisner

Default net-tools-1.60.20110819cvs-1 and inetutils-1.8-4

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 05:29:06PM -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following discussions between a few of us on IRC and private emails,
> we decided to remove the hostname binary from the net-tools package
> and to replace it by the one from inetutils. Unlike the hostname from
> coreutils, the inetutils hostname has all the functionnality of the
> net-tools' one. I've also added scripts which implements the behaviour
> of the domainname and dnsdomainname symlinks that were in the
> net-tools package so everything should work as before. If not, let us
> know. I've also added inetutils to the base group as many apps expect
> hostname to be installed (I think its also a standard).
>
> The net-tools package also had other changes as followed:
>
> - update to current upstream cvs
> - remove hostname (and the symlinks to it, dnsdomain and domainname)
> as well as manpages related to it
> - changed license to gpl2
> - removed !makeflags from options (seems to work fine without it,
> except for some extra compile time warnings).
>

> Eric

Two minor nitpicks about the wrapper scripts:

1) It would probably be worthwhile to hardcode the path to the inetutils
hostname binary.
2) exec $path/hostname, in both cases, will save an extra fork in invocation.

Also, do we want to add manpage symlinks for {dns,}domainname? It's not
entirely the truth, so I'm not convinced we want this.

dave

Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Dave Reisner

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 06:18:02PM -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 05:29:06PM -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Following discussions between a few of us on IRC and private emails,
> >> we decided to remove the hostname binary from the net-tools package
> >> and to replace it by the one from inetutils. Unlike the hostname from
> >> coreutils, the inetutils hostname has all the functionnality of the
> >> net-tools' one. I've also added scripts which implements the behaviour
> >> of the *domainname and dnsdomainname symlinks that were in the
> >> net-tools package so everything should work as before. If not, let us
> >> know. I've also added inetutils to the base group as many apps expect
> >> hostname to be installed (I think its also a standard).
> >>
> >> The net-tools package also had other changes as followed:
> >>
> >> - update to current upstream cvs
> >> - remove hostname (and the symlinks to it, dnsdomain and domainname)
> >> as well as manpages related to it
> >> - changed license to gpl2
> >> - removed !makeflags from options (seems to work fine without it,
> >> except for some extra compile time warnings).
> >>

> >> Eric
> >
> > Two minor nitpicks about the wrapper scripts:
> >
> > 1) It would probably be worthwhile to hardcode the path to the inetutils
> > hostname binary.
> > 2) exec $path/hostname, in both cases, will save an extra fork in invocation.
> >
> > Also, do we want to add manpage symlinks for {dns,}domainname? It's not
> > entirely the truth, so I'm not convinced we want this.
> >
> > dave
> >

> I could do these 2 changes to the scripts. The current net-tools in
> core has {dns,}domainname man pages symlinks to hostname so I guess we
> might as well add them. I'll wait for more opinions before doing these
> changes in case there's another issue.
>
> Eric

I'm also a little curious what happened to the whole idea of having a
'hostname' provider. We've (again) broken all tools that quietly depend
on a hostname binary and were "fixed" to depend on net-tools.

First of what could be many: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25681

dave

Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Gaetan Bisson

[2011-09-28 21:35:45 -0400] Eric Bélanger:
> I just pushed inetutils-1.8-5 in testing with these changes:
>
> - Add full path and exec in domainname and dnsdomainname scripts
> - Add man page symlinks for domainname and dnsdomainname

Signoff x86_64.

--
Gaetan

Old 10-04-2011, 12:11 AM