Old 08-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Dave Reisner

Default dnsmasq 2.58 release

Hi Paul,

It looks like dnsmasq is gearing up to release 2.58 in the near future.
I'd like to add in dbus support (means dbus-core as a new dep) and
distribute the upstream systemd service file along with it. Is this okay
with you? If you're short on time, I'm happy to pick up this package, as
I use it on just about all my machines.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Paul Mattal

It looks like dnsmasq is gearing up to release 2.58 in the near future.
I'd like to add in dbus support (means dbus-core as a new dep) and
distribute the upstream systemd service file along with it. Is this okay
with you? If you're short on time, I'm happy to pick up this package, as
I use it on just about all my machines.

You're welcome to pick up dnsmasq, especially if you use it everywhere.
I used to, but don't so much anymore.

- P

Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Dave Reisner

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:07:03PM -0400, Paul Mattal wrote:
> On 08/18/2011 09:57 PM, Dave Reisner wrote:
> >Hi Paul,
> >
> >It looks like dnsmasq is gearing up to release 2.58 in the near future.
> >I'd like to add in dbus support (means dbus-core as a new dep) and
> >distribute the upstream systemd service file along with it. Is this okay
> >with you? If you're short on time, I'm happy to pick up this package, as
> >I use it on just about all my machines.
>
> You're welcome to pick up dnsmasq, especially if you use it
> everywhere. I used to, but don't so much anymore.
>
> - P

Adopted!

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Florian Pritz

On 19.08.2011 03:57, Dave Reisner wrote:
> I'd like to add in dbus support (means dbus-core as a new dep) a

Which features will that enable?

--
Florian Pritz

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Dave Reisner

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 09:43:13AM +0200, Florian Pritz wrote:
> On 19.08.2011 03:57, Dave Reisner wrote:
> > I'd like to add in dbus support (means dbus-core as a new dep) a
>
> Which features will that enable?
>
> --
> Florian Pritz

The full (short) doc on the dbus spec is here:

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/DBus-interface

But the short version is:

- cache clearing and server sets over dbus
- signals broadcast when a dhcp lease is added, deleted, updated
- more friendly with systemd

Note that while this will end up as a runtime dep, I'm not going to
force it as a new option in the config. If someone "begrudgingly"
installs dbus-core only for this, enabling dbus causes dnsmasq to poll
repeatedly until dbus is found. extra/dbus will end up as an optdep.

dave