Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default New CFLAGS/LDFLAGS plus complete toolchain rebuild

Am 14.08.2011 13:42, schrieb Allan McRae:
> These are all fairly standard flags being used to build the major
> distros these days (other distros patch their toolchain to make these
> the default), so there should be few issues. Probably the only thing
> to watch out for is to disable them when building bootloaders.

What would be the problem with bootloaders and these flags?

Old 08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Allan McRae

On 14/08/11 23:13, Thomas Bächler wrote:

Am 14.08.2011 13:42, schrieb Allan McRae:

These are all fairly standard flags being used to build the major
distros these days (other distros patch their toolchain to make these
the default), so there should be few issues. Probably the only thing
to watch out for is to disable them when building bootloaders.

What would be the problem with bootloaders and these flags?

It is fairly well known that grub does not work when compiled with stack
smashing protection, but I have not investigated the details.

I think syslinux should be fine these days, but a while back there were
apparently issues. Just something to note...

Allan

Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 14.08.2011 15:36, schrieb Allan McRae:
> I think syslinux should be fine these days, but a while back there were
> apparently issues. Just something to note...

I even think syslinux overrides the flags with safe ones, though I am
unsure.