Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Thomas Bächler

Default vpnc 0.5.3-4

Fix FS#25002 (add net-tools dep for now), FS#23452 (fix path, add
optdepend) and FS#25095 (add supplied patch).

Please sign off.

I also want to mention that I don't use vpnc anymore, and haven't done
so for years. I don't want to keep maintaining it, so if there are
takers among the devs, please step up.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Dave Reisner

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:08:15AM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Fix FS#25002 (add net-tools dep for now), FS#23452 (fix path, add
> optdepend) and FS#25095 (add supplied patch).
>
> Please sign off.
>
> I also want to mention that I don't use vpnc anymore, and haven't done
> so for years. I don't want to keep maintaining it, so if there are
> takers among the devs, please step up.

Signoff x86_64. I can take care of it, as I use it on a daily basis for
work.

dave

Old 08-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 13.08.2011 16:00, schrieb Dave Reisner:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:08:15AM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Fix FS#25002 (add net-tools dep for now), FS#23452 (fix path, add
>> optdepend) and FS#25095 (add supplied patch).
>>
>> Please sign off.
>>
>> I also want to mention that I don't use vpnc anymore, and haven't done
>> so for years. I don't want to keep maintaining it, so if there are
>> takers among the devs, please step up.
>>

> Signoff x86_64. I can take care of it, as I use it on a daily basis for
> work.
>
> dave

Adopt it then.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Dave Reisner

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:08:15AM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Fix FS#25002 (add net-tools dep for now), FS#23452 (fix path, add
> optdepend) and FS#25095 (add supplied patch).
>
> Please sign off.
>
> I also want to mention that I don't use vpnc anymore, and haven't done
> so for years. I don't want to keep maintaining it, so if there are
> takers among the devs, please step up.

Anyone else? User signoffs are welcome.

I'd like to get this moved to core soon-ish to make way for some more
concrete changes, namely:

* Updating to an svn tarball which has some lovely bug fixes -- several
other distros are packaging trunk.
* An updated vpnc-script maintained by David Woodhouse (intel employee
and major kernel contributor) [1]. He's added ipv6 support and a few
bugfixes as well.

I've also sent David a pull request to get rid of the net-tools
dependency (at least in Linux) and fix a bug in his updates.

[1] http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/vpnc-scripts.git

Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Dave Reisner

Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Dan McGee

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:08:15AM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Fix FS#25002 (add net-tools dep for now), FS#23452 (fix path, add
>> optdepend) and FS#25095 (add supplied patch).
>>
>> Please sign off.
>>
>> I also want to mention that I don't use vpnc anymore, and haven't done
>> so for years. I don't want to keep maintaining it, so if there are
>> takers among the devs, please step up.
>>

> Anyone else? User signoffs are welcome.
>
> I'd like to get this moved to core soon-ish to make way for some more
> concrete changes, namely:
>
> * Updating to an svn tarball which has some lovely bug fixes -- several
> *other distros are packaging trunk.
> * An updated vpnc-script maintained by David Woodhouse (intel employee
> *and major kernel contributor) [1]. He's added ipv6 support and a few
> *bugfixes as well.
>
> I've also sent David a pull request to get rid of the net-tools
> dependency (at least in Linux) and fix a bug in his updates.

> [1] http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/vpnc-scripts.git

1. Why is this even in [core]? It doesn't seem essential at all to most systems.
2. The updates sound smart to me.

-Dan

Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Dan McGee

Old 08-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Dave Reisner

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:32:35AM -0500, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:08:15AM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> >> Fix FS#25002 (add net-tools dep for now), FS#23452 (fix path, add
> >> optdepend) and FS#25095 (add supplied patch).
> >>
> >> Please sign off.
> >>
> >> I also want to mention that I don't use vpnc anymore, and haven't done
> >> so for years. I don't want to keep maintaining it, so if there are
> >> takers among the devs, please step up.
> >>

> > Anyone else? User signoffs are welcome.
> >
> > I'd like to get this moved to core soon-ish to make way for some more
> > concrete changes, namely:
> >
> > * Updating to an svn tarball which has some lovely bug fixes -- several
> > *other distros are packaging trunk.
> > * An updated vpnc-script maintained by David Woodhouse (intel employee
> > *and major kernel contributor) [1]. He's added ipv6 support and a few
> > *bugfixes as well.
> >
> > I've also sent David a pull request to get rid of the net-tools
> > dependency (at least in Linux) and fix a bug in his updates.

> > [1] http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/vpnc-scripts.git
>
> 1. Why is this even in [core]? It doesn't seem essential at all to most systems.

If no one objects, I'll move this to extra tomorrow and start working on
a new release.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 16.08.2011 02:17, schrieb Dave Reisner:
>> 1. Why is this even in [core]? It doesn't seem essential at all to most systems.
>
> If no one objects, I'll move this to extra tomorrow and start working on
> a new release.

The original reason was that some people might need it to connect to the
internet - I admit that those situations are rare and rather obscure though.