Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Default ifconfig triggers linux-3.0 to load appletalk and ipx

Hi,

I just wondered why I had ipx and appletalk modules loaded. After some
tests I figured out that simply running ifconfig triggers the kernel to
load them. This does not happen with an older kernel; e.g. our lts
package. Any ideas about that? It might not break anything but it is
strange anyway. We might also rethink if supporting these ancient
protocols in kernel and user space tool is still needed.

For those who want to prevent these modules from being loaded use this
modprobe.conf entries:
alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

Greetings,