Old 08-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Dave Reisner

Default dash-0.5.7-2 and filesystem-2011.08-1

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 01:49:42AM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This removes dash from base group, and adjusts the standard
> /etc/shells accordingly. This file will now be updated on
> install/remove of dash.
>
> Please test and signoff.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

There's also a change to /etc/fstab in here which encourages mounting
/tmp as a tmpfs.

dave

Old 08-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 01:49:42AM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> This removes dash from base group, and adjusts the standard
>> /etc/shells accordingly. This file will now be updated on
>> install/remove of dash.
>>
>> Please test and signoff.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom
>
> There's also a change to /etc/fstab in here which encourages mounting
> /tmp as a tmpfs.

Indeed. It also discourages mounting /dev/{pts,shm}. Sorry for not
mentioning that.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Matthew Monaco

This removes dash from base group, and adjusts the standard
/etc/shells accordingly. This file will now be updated on
install/remove of dash.

Please test and signoff.

Cheers,

Tom

There's also a change to /etc/fstab in here which encourages mounting
/tmp as a tmpfs.

Indeed. It also discourages mounting /dev/{pts,shm}. Sorry for not
mentioning that.

Cheers,

Tom

Are these deprecated or now handled in the initscripts? I've always wondered why
/proc, /sys, etc can't be in fstab too just so everything is clear, so I'm
wondering if there's just a trend to move system type mounts from fstab to
initscripts.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:49 AM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27@0x01b.net> wrote:
> Are these deprecated or now handled in the initscripts?

We mount them as part of initscripts. However, if you have entries in
fstab, those take precedence (at least for the time being).

> I've always wondered
> why /proc, /sys, etc can't be in fstab too just so everything is clear,

There would be no upside, as we already know that these things need to
be mounted, and what mount options they should have. The downside is
that if we make it configurable it becomes an extra burden on the user
to update them in case the options need to be changed (as happens from
time to time), and there is a great probability that many people end
up with the "wrong" options and various programs that rely on things
being mounted correctly will break.

> so
> I'm wondering if there's just a trend to move system type mounts from fstab
> to initscripts.

Correct. The rationale being: if we know what to do, we'll do it
unconditionally in initscripts, if we don't know what to do it must be
configured by the user in fstab.

-t

Old 08-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Evangelos Foutras

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This removes dash from base group, and adjusts the standard
> /etc/shells accordingly. This file will now be updated on
> install/remove of dash.
>
> Please test and signoff.

Signoff x86_64.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Gaetan Bisson

[2011-08-10 01:49:42 +0200] Tom Gundersen:
> This removes dash from base group, and adjusts the standard
> /etc/shells accordingly. This file will now be updated on
> install/remove of dash.

Signoff x86_64.

--
Gaetan