Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default initscripts-2011.07.3-1

Hi guys,

A few more fixes has been added to initscripts, and it should now be
ready to go to [core]. Please signoff.

I did not revert the loglevel stuff, as the old behavior can easily be
obtained in many new ways. Two of which are outlined below.

Thanks too all who tested so far.

-t

Changes to rc.conf
------------------

The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
loglevel= parameter instead. Most people probably wants to pass
'quiet' to the kernel.
Alternatively, a new init hook could be added to /etc/rc.d/functions.d/dmesg:

sysinit_start () {
dmesg -n 3
}

If HARDWARECLOCK is empty we will read the value of UTC/LOCAL from
hwclock's adjfile instead. To avoid
interacting with the hardwareclock set HARDWARECLOCK="IGNORE" (this
should never be needed, and might be removed in the future).

We now support (optionally) setting the broadcast address in the new
network config.

Behavioral changes
------------------

We no longer silence errors thrown by udev. In particular, if udevadm
--settle times out, we get an error message.

We no longer adjust the rtc on boot, as it is unreliable, we only make
corrections for the timezone.

We no longer mount /run as noexec.

Misc changes
------------

Cleaning up of /tmp and friends is now done by an external tool. This
tool is intended to allow pac
kages to maintain {/var,}/run{/lock,} in the absense of rc scripts.

General refactoring which should make maintenance and writing custom
hooks easier.

Revert the NEED_ROOT functionality. It is now off by default, and has
to be enabled by the rc scripts that wants to force root.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Evangelos Foutras

On 28 July 2011 15:46, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A few more fixes has been added to initscripts, and it should now be
> ready to go to [core]. Please signoff.

Signoff x86_64.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Evangelos Foutras

Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Evangelos Foutras

Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A few more fixes has been added to initscripts, and it should now be
> ready to go to [core]. Please signoff.
>
> I did not revert the loglevel stuff, as the old behavior can easily be
> obtained in many new ways. Two of which are outlined below.
>
> Thanks too all who tested so far.
>
> -t
>

> Revert the NEED_ROOT functionality. It is now off by default, and has
> to be enabled by the rc scripts that wants to force root.

I suppose you did that because of: FS#25271 - [netcfg] latest
initscripts update breaks non-root actions, right?

You do realise that if you turn it off by default, basically no-one
will bother to add a "NEED_ROOT=1" to their daemon script even if the
majority (all?) requires root permission to run. Not even I, who came
up with the initial idea and worked on the patch, will bother.

You might as well remove the functionnality completely and either go
back to the drawing table to implement it in a better way or to forget
about it.

Eric

Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> A few more fixes has been added to initscripts, and it should now be
>> ready to go to [core]. Please signoff.
>>
>> I did not revert the loglevel stuff, as the old behavior can easily be
>> obtained in many new ways. Two of which are outlined below.
>>
>> Thanks too all who tested so far.
>>
>> -t
>>

>> Revert the NEED_ROOT functionality. It is now off by default, and has
>> to be enabled by the rc scripts that wants to force root.
>>

> I suppose you did that because of: FS#25271 - [netcfg] latest
> initscripts update breaks non-root actions, right?
>
> You do realise that if you turn it off by default, basically no-one
> will bother to add a "NEED_ROOT=1" to their daemon script even if the
> majority (all?) requires root permission to run. Not even I, who came
> up with the initial idea and worked on the patch, will bother.
>
> You might as well remove the functionnality completely and either go
> back to the drawing table to implement it in a better way or to forget
> about it.

Exactly. We're back to the drawing room. Either we need to get most
people to agree that this is what we want to do, create a todo list
and update all the relevant scripts, or if people don't agree we must
find a less intrusive way to do it.

I had missunderstood the original patch and thought it only affected
scripts called via rc.d, which I found to be a reasonable compromise
as there would be no regressions.

-t

Old 07-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Evangelos Foutras

On 28 July 2011 16:13, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 July 2011 15:46, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> A few more fixes has been added to initscripts, and it should now be
>> ready to go to [core]. Please signoff.
>
> Signoff x86_64.

And another for i686.