Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   ArchLinux Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/)
-   -   initscripts-2011.07.1-1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/556923-initscripts-2011-07-1-1-a.html)

Tom Gundersen 07-25-2011 08:51 PM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
Hi guys,

It has been almost two months since the last initscripts release, and
a lot of small changes have been merged (and a few big ones).

In particular, I'd like to point out a last minute addition by Dave: a
new script, /usr/lib/initscripts/arch-tmpfiles, which is ran at boot
to clean and create files and folders in non-persistent directories
(such as /run and /tmp). Daemons that needs this functionality (such
as udisks) can get it by putting a .conf file in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/.
This should allow us to support /var/run and /var/lock being symlinked
to /run and /run/lock.

Please test and signoff. As usual, I'll wait a few extra days before
moving to core.

Cheers,

Tom

Changes to rc.conf
------------------

The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
loglevel= parameter instead. Most p

If HARDWARECLOCK is empty we will read the value of UTC/LOCAL from
hwclock's adjfile instead. To av
interacting with the hardwareclock set HARDWARECLOCK="IGNORE".

We now support (optionally) setting the broadcast address in the new
network config.

Behavioral changes
------------------

We no longer silence errors thrown by udev. In particular, if udevadm
--settle times out, we get an

We no longer adjust the rtc on boot, as it is unreliable, we only make
corrections for the timezone

We no longer mount /run as noexec.

Misc changes
------------

Cleaning up of /tmp and friends is now done by an external tool. This
tool is intended to allow pac
kages to maintain {/var,}/run{/lock,} in the absense of rc scripts.

General refactoring which should make maintenance and writing custom
hooks easier.



Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release:
------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrwe Lord Weber (1):
added get_pid() and ck_pidfile() (FS#18654)

Dave Reisner (16):
rc.sysinit: kill off VERBOSE= parameter
rc.sysinit: allow exec in /run
rc.d/rc.sysinit: whitespace cleanup
use $() instead of `` for command substitutions
add PATH, strip absolute path from binaries
remove absolute paths from daemons and rc.d
rc.sysinit: honor blacklist, not load_modules
network: support gateway-less network setup
rc.sysinit: avoid use of regex match for USE* vars
network: don't enforce check for netmask or gateway
rc.shutdown: continuation of fe48fab2c2c35c
network: always warn about deprecation for old funcs
network: don't warn for deprecation with no settings
arch-tmpfiles: add new script to handle volatile file control
arch-tmpfiles: check args, warn on invalid entries
arch-tmpfiles: add cmdline parameters

Eric Blanger (3):
Clean up ANSI codes from /var/log/boot
Removed superfluous dollar sign
Add logrotate config file to rotate /var/log/boot

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi (4):
[initscripts] Avoid error message when switch runlevels.
[initscripts] chmod dmesg.log based on value from dmesg_restrict
Be consistent (with mkinitcpio) source naming of /run
[initscripts] network: Add missing broadcast address

Jacob Okamoto (1):
rc.d: clear text formatting after error

Kurt J. Bosch (68):
Move fsck stuff into functions to allow custom overrides (FS#18736)
Simplify fsck functions
Allow custom fsck on shutdown via hook (FS#18736)
Move mount -a into functions to allow custom override (fsck on loop)
Fix hwclock comments
Simplify timezone copying
Simplify creating files by using /bin/install
Simplify keyboard map loading by using loadkeys autodetection
Simplify API filesystems mounting
Some cosmetics
Simplify rc.single udevadm stuff as in rc.sysinit
Simplify unmounting filesystems
rc.single: Avoid rc.multi syslog start error - use minilogd as in
rc.sysinit
Fix bootlogd not stopped when booting into runlevel '1'
Simplify random seed file creation
Some more cosmetics
Simplify in_array function
rc.sysinit/rc.single: Merge UDev stuff into a function
rc.multi/rc.single: Merge duplicated bootlogd stop code into a function
Get rid of simple if-constucts by using '&&'
Simplify /etc/profile.d/locale.sh creation
Fix whitespace
functions: Fix indentation
rc.sysinit: Fix writing to /dev/urandom
rc.sysinit: Fix setting locale
Fix '>|' not used allways when redirecting to files
Fix local statements missing in ck_depends, ck_pidfile,
do_unlock, kill_everything
functions: Define $fsckret read-only because exposed to hook
Add some comments
functions: Simplify ck_depends() for statement
functions: Simplify kill_everything() omit_pid handling
Refactor to get rid of simple if-constucts
rc.sysinit: Get rid of eval
Move fsck executable check into fsck_all() for consistency
Move activate_vgs and crypt stat_busy to the top for consistency
functions: Make activate_vgs return 0 if noop for consistency
Move export PATH into functions
rc.sysinit: Refactor /etc/mtab symlink detection to avoid empty if clause
rc.sysinit: Add status output for mtab and dmesg.log creation
functions/rc.single: Clean up whitespace
rc.sysinit: Fix stat_busy block indentation
functions: Get rid of superfluous braces in udevd_modprobe()
functions: Add missing quotes in mount_all()
functions/rc.multi: Strip paths from binaries
Refactor kill_everything, fsck_all and mount_all code
rc.sysinit: Declare $FORCEFSCK read-only
functions/rc.sysinit: Refactor fsck-redirection to prevent breakage
rc.sysinit: Remove unneeded variables initializations
functions: Make status() return the actual exit code
functions: Speed up reboot/shutdown by recognizing killall5 exit code 2
netfs: cleanup whitespace
netfs: Strip paths from binaries
netfs: Refactor to provide meaningful exit code
functions/netfs: Refactor filesystem type lists and $NETFS
rc.sysinit: Simplify /var/run/daemons workaround
rc.single: Remove $PATH assignment
rc.sysinit: fixup fsck refactoring
functions: Use ck_autostart in stop_all_daemons()
functions: Make in_array() non DAEMONS specific
rc.sysinit: Fix /tmp/.* pattern
functions/rc.sysinit: Refactor 'Removing Leftover Files' code
rc.single: Call remove_leftover() when going single-user
functions: Remove useless '$' within '(( ))'
functions: Unify whitespace inside '(( ))'
Fix/unify quoting
functions: Cosmetics: Refactor usage of local daemon variables
rc.sysinit: Move 'run_hook sysinit_start' after mount root read-only
rc.shutdown: Move 'run_hook shutdown_start' after "Initiating Shutdown..."

Sebastien Luttringer (6):
rc.d: Update usage
rc.d: Add started/stopped option to list
rc.d: Update bash and zsh completion scripts
Ensure rc.d scripts are run as root
Use _get_comp_words_by_ref in bash completion
Remove usage of head in PKGBUILD

Tom Gundersen (20):
Merge remote-tracking branch 'falconindy/working'
udev: don't silence settle + trivial
hwclock: allow TZ to be set in adjtime, only adjust for TZ during boot
hwclock: refactor daemon
udev: remove rule generation
Merge remote-tracking branch 'djgera/djgera'
Merge branch 'snowman'
hostname: echo to kernel directly
Merge remote-tracking branch 'djgera/djgera'
Merge remote-tracking branch 'seblu/master'
status: adjust number of columns after loading modules
Merge remote-tracking branch 'falconindy/working'
functions: warn if daemons are started recursively
trivial: silence errors
hwclock: use correct timezone
hwclock: show status
Merge remote-tracking branch 'seblu/master'
Merge remote-tracking branch 'seblu/master'
Merge remote-tracking branch 'kujub/master'
network: reword depracation message

derhoch (1):
changing _rd.d to _rc_d to avoid:

jofko (1):
Adding hook sysinit_postmount

Evangelos Foutras 07-26-2011 02:43 AM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
On 25 July 2011 23:51, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
> loglevel= parameter instead. Most p

I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z

No signoff. :>

Evangelos Foutras 07-26-2011 03:26 AM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
On 26 July 2011 05:43, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 July 2011 23:51, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>> The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
>> loglevel= parameter instead. Most p
>
> I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
> verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
> get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
> horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z
>
> No signoff. :>

Dave explained to me on IRC that the loglevel=[1-8] or quiet options
can be passed to the kernel to control this.

It would make sense to default to, say, loglevel=4 (that's what quiet
sets) if no verbosity-related options are passed to the kernel.

Another possible issue:

$ runlevel
unknown

On another machine without the initscripts package from [testing] the
output differs:

$ runlevel
N 5

Dave Reisner 07-26-2011 03:36 AM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:26:40AM +0300, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
> On 26 July 2011 05:43, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 25 July 2011 23:51, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> >> The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
> >> loglevel= parameter instead. Most p
> >
> > I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
> > verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
> > get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
> > horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z
> >
> > No signoff. :>
>
> Dave explained to me on IRC that the loglevel=[1-8] or quiet options
> can be passed to the kernel to control this.
>
> It would make sense to default to, say, loglevel=4 (that's what quiet
> sets) if no verbosity-related options are passed to the kernel.

So, would this be done in initscripts or initramfs? The 'quiet'
parameter isn't some big secret.

> Another possible issue:
>
> $ runlevel
> unknown

That's possibly a huge issue. When is that visible?

> On another machine without the initscripts package from [testing] the
> output differs:
>
> $ runlevel
> N 5

Evangelos Foutras 07-26-2011 05:25 AM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
On 26 July 2011 06:36, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:26:40AM +0300, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>> On 26 July 2011 05:43, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On 25 July 2011 23:51, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>> >> The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
>> >> loglevel= parameter instead. Most p
>> >
>> > I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
>> > verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
>> > get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
>> > horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z
>> >
>> > No signoff. :>
>>
>> Dave explained to me on IRC that the loglevel=[1-8] or quiet options
>> can be passed to the kernel to control this.
>>
>> It would make sense to default to, say, loglevel=4 (that's what quiet
>> sets) if no verbosity-related options are passed to the kernel.
>
> So, would this be done in initscripts or initramfs? The 'quiet'
> parameter isn't some big secret.

I'd say in initscripts, because before that only the kernel prints
messages. When initscripts kicks in, its output gets combined with the
kernel messages and creates a visually unappealing result. :p

I think that capping loglevel to 4 in initscripts would work well:

--8<------------
# limit console verbosity to no more than 4 (error conditions)
# this is done to keep initscripts' output clean and readable
set -- $(< /proc/sys/kernel/printk)
(( $1 > 4 )) && echo 4 >/proc/sys/kernel/printk
--8<------------

Opinions?

>> Another possible issue:
>>
>> $ runlevel
>> unknown
>
> That's possibly a huge issue. When is that visible?

Thanks for fixing that with your latest patch to mkinitcpio.

Damjan 07-26-2011 10:27 AM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
Evangelos Foutras:
> I'd say in initscripts, because before that only the kernel prints
> messages. When initscripts kicks in, its output gets combined with the
> kernel messages and creates a visually unappealing result. :p

You should also be aware of this development:
http://karelzak.blogspot.com/2011/07/dmesg1-changes-for-util-linux-220.html

there are new features in dmesg that'll help you filter out (or in)
needed information.

--
дамјан

Tom Gundersen 07-26-2011 11:00 AM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 July 2011 06:36, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:26:40AM +0300, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>>> On 26 July 2011 05:43, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> > On 25 July 2011 23:51, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>>> >> The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
>>> >> loglevel= parameter instead. Most p
>>> >
>>> > I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
>>> > verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
>>> > get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
>>> > horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z
>>> >
>>> > No signoff. :>
>>>
>>> Dave explained to me on IRC that the loglevel=[1-8] or quiet options
>>> can be passed to the kernel to control this.
>>>
>>> It would make sense to default to, say, loglevel=4 (that's what quiet
>>> sets) if no verbosity-related options are passed to the kernel.
>>
>> So, would this be done in initscripts or initramfs? The 'quiet'
>> parameter isn't some big secret.
>
> I'd say in initscripts, because before that only the kernel prints
> messages. When initscripts kicks in, its output gets combined with the
> kernel messages and creates a visually unappealing result. :p
>
> I think that capping loglevel to 4 in initscripts would work well:
>
> --8<------------
> # limit console verbosity to no more than 4 (error conditions)
> # this is done to keep initscripts' output clean and readable
> set -- $(< /proc/sys/kernel/printk)
> (( $1 > 4 )) && echo 4 >/proc/sys/kernel/printk
> --8<------------
>
> Opinions?

What about those who manually want to set the loglevel to something else?

I guess we could put a notice in initscripts.install suggesting people
to amend "quiet" to their kernel command line. Would that be ok?

-t

Evangelos Foutras 07-26-2011 11:23 AM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
On 26 July 2011 14:00, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> What about those who manually want to set the loglevel to something else?

I don't think more than LOG_ERR verbosity is needed after rc.sysinit
takes over. One can use dmesg to review any warnings and informational
messages after the system has finished booting.

My point is that it doesn't make sense to allow both initscript's
output and kernel messages to be displayed at the same time; lines get
cut off and parts of the output becomes unreadable.

> I guess we could put a notice in initscripts.install suggesting people
> to amend "quiet" to their kernel command line. Would that be ok?

I guess that would be fine, but I don't like that manual intervention
will be required to go back to the previous behavior, just to support
a useless use case (loglevel greater than LOG_ERR after rc.sysinit has
kicked in). :)

Ionut Biru 07-26-2011 12:48 PM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
On 07/26/2011 05:43 AM, Evangelos Foutras wrote:

On 25 July 2011 23:51, Tom Gundersen<teg@jklm.no> wrote:

The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
loglevel= parameter instead. Most p


I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z

No signoff. :>


i'm with you in this. kernel logs are in the middle of starting daemons.
hate it


--
Ionuț

Tom Gundersen 07-26-2011 04:06 PM

initscripts-2011.07.1-1
 
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 07/26/2011 05:43 AM, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>>
>> On 25 July 2011 23:51, Tom Gundersen<teg@jklm.no> *wrote:
>>>
>>> The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
>>> loglevel= parameter instead. Most p
>>
>> I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
>> verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
>> get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
>> horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z
>>
>> No signoff. :>
>
> i'm with you in this. kernel logs are in the middle of starting daemons.
> hate it

I agree that the kernel default is annoying, but it _is_ the upstream
default, and there is a known workaround (boot with "quiet"), so I
don't want to keep hacking around this in initscripts.

Luckily, my stubbornness prompted Dave to do the right thing, and
submit a kernel patch to allow the default to be set to something
sensible at compile-time: <https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/7/26/227>.
Hopefully this means that the problem will be solved upstream soon.

Cheers,

Tom


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.