FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Aaron Griffin
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

Two things are coming up here, and I just want to bring this
discussion up again.

* DNS

Our everydns account is going away. According to their site
(http://www.everydns.com/) we have 43-ish days to get everything moved
off.

We have a handful of options, some free, some not.

a) https://pointhq.com/ - I use this personally. Maybe not the
snappiest DNS servers in the world, but the interface is easy.
b) http://reflected.net/ could host our DNS, but we'd need to manually
contact people to change things
c) Use our registrar (godaddy)
d) Other?

* SSL Cert

Our StartCom cert is expiring. I need to reconfirm my identity with
them, but I can get to this as early as tomorrow. Have we had any
major issues with using a cert from these people? Now would be the
time to switch, if so.

Cheers,
Aaron
 
Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Matthew Monaco
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two things are coming up here, and I just want to bring this
> discussion up again.
>
> * DNS
>
> Our everydns account is going away. According to their site
> (http://www.everydns.com/) we have 43-ish days to get everything moved
> off.
>
> We have a handful of options, some free, some not.
>
> a) https://pointhq.com/ - I use this personally. Maybe not the
> snappiest DNS servers in the world, but the interface is easy.
> b) http://reflected.net/ could host our DNS, but we'd need to manually
> contact people to change things
> c) Use our registrar (godaddy)
> d) Other?
>
> * SSL Cert
>
> Our StartCom cert is expiring. I need to reconfirm my identity with
> them, but I can get to this as early as tomorrow. Have we had any
> major issues with using a cert from these people? Now would be the
> time to switch, if so.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron
>

I'm really happy with my dyndns service.
 
Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Matthew Monaco
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27@0x01b.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Two things are coming up here, and I just want to bring this
>> discussion up again.
>>
>> * DNS
>>
>> Our everydns account is going away. According to their site
>> (http://www.everydns.com/) we have 43-ish days to get everything moved
>> off.
>>
>> We have a handful of options, some free, some not.
>>
>> a) https://pointhq.com/ - I use this personally. Maybe not the
>> snappiest DNS servers in the world, but the interface is easy.
>> b) http://reflected.net/ could host our DNS, but we'd need to manually
>> contact people to change things
>> c) Use our registrar (godaddy)
>> d) Other?
>>
>> * SSL Cert
>>
>> Our StartCom cert is expiring. I need to reconfirm my identity with
>> them, but I can get to this as early as tomorrow. Have we had any
>> major issues with using a cert from these people? Now would be the
>> time to switch, if so.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Aaron
>>
>
> I'm really happy with my dyndns service.
>

Never mind, that comment was quite misinformed =/
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Dan McGee
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two things are coming up here, and I just want to bring this
> discussion up again.
>
> * DNS
>
> Our everydns account is going away. According to their site
> (http://www.everydns.com/) we have 43-ish days to get everything moved
> off.
>
> We have a handful of options, some free, some not.
>
> a) https://pointhq.com/ - I use this personally. Maybe not the
> snappiest DNS servers in the world, but the interface is easy.
They have distributed nameservers, which is good enough for me. Should
we just go with this? Dave/I are willing to manage it as it isn't that
much work once we get the initial setup done.

As a side note, I have an AXFR copy of our entire zone from what we
currently have in EveryDNS if that helps.

> b) http://reflected.net/ could host our DNS, but we'd need to manually
> contact people to change things
> c) Use our registrar (godaddy)
> d) Other?
>
> * SSL Cert
>
> Our StartCom cert is expiring. I need to reconfirm my identity with
> them, but I can get to this as early as tomorrow. Have we had any
> major issues with using a cert from these people? Now would be the
> time to switch, if so.
They seem absolutely fine; I'd say stick with them.

-Dan
 
Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Thomas Bächler
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

Am 19.07.2011 01:26, schrieb Dan McGee:
>> * SSL Cert
>>
>> Our StartCom cert is expiring. I need to reconfirm my identity with
>> them, but I can get to this as early as tomorrow. Have we had any
>> major issues with using a cert from these people? Now would be the
>> time to switch, if so.
> They seem absolutely fine; I'd say stick with them.

Agreed, everything is working well.
 
Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Ionut Biru
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

On 07/18/2011 11:46 PM, Aaron Griffin wrote:

Two things are coming up here, and I just want to bring this
discussion up again.

* DNS

Our everydns account is going away. According to their site
(http://www.everydns.com/) we have 43-ish days to get everything moved
off.

We have a handful of options, some free, some not.

a) https://pointhq.com/ - I use this personally. Maybe not the
snappiest DNS servers in the world, but the interface is easy.
b) http://reflected.net/ could host our DNS, but we'd need to manually
contact people to change things
c) Use our registrar (godaddy)
d) Other?



what about cachefly deal?


* SSL Cert

Our StartCom cert is expiring. I need to reconfirm my identity with
them, but I can get to this as early as tomorrow. Have we had any
major issues with using a cert from these people? Now would be the
time to switch, if so.



I see that is expiring in 08/12/2012. Is it too early for me and I don't
see well?



Cheers,
Aaron



--
IonuČ›
 
Old 07-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Jan de Groot
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 09:46 +0300, Ionut Biru wrote:
> I see that is expiring in 08/12/2012. Is it too early for me and I
> don't
> see well?

It's still valid until August next year, so yes, we should just keep it
and not renew it yet. This cert was valid for 2 years instead of just
one.
 
Old 07-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Aaron Griffin
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 09:46 +0300, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> I see that is expiring in 08/12/2012. Is it too early for me and I
>> don't
>> see well?
>
> It's still valid until August next year, so yes, we should just keep it
> and not renew it yet. This cert was valid for 2 years instead of just
> one.

Wait... I didn't even make that connection. I just got a renewal email.

Stupid people...
 
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Aaron Griffin
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 07/18/2011 11:46 PM, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>> Two things are coming up here, and I just want to bring this
>> discussion up again.
>>
>> * DNS
>>
>> Our everydns account is going away. According to their site
>> (http://www.everydns.com/) we have 43-ish days to get everything moved
>> off.
>>
>> We have a handful of options, some free, some not.
>>
>> a) https://pointhq.com/ - I use this personally. Maybe not the
>> snappiest DNS servers in the world, but the interface is easy.
>> b) http://reflected.net/ could host our DNS, but we'd need to manually
>> contact people to change things
>> c) Use our registrar (godaddy)
>> d) Other?
>>
>
> what about cachefly deal?

Turns out it wasn't cachefly, but reflected.net, which is related
somehow to cachefly....
 
Old 07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Ionut Biru
 
Default DNS and SSL Cert

On 07/19/2011 06:35 PM, Aaron Griffin wrote:

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Ionut Biru<ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:

On 07/18/2011 11:46 PM, Aaron Griffin wrote:


Two things are coming up here, and I just want to bring this
discussion up again.

* DNS

Our everydns account is going away. According to their site
(http://www.everydns.com/) we have 43-ish days to get everything moved
off.

We have a handful of options, some free, some not.

a) https://pointhq.com/ - I use this personally. Maybe not the
snappiest DNS servers in the world, but the interface is easy.
b) http://reflected.net/ could host our DNS, but we'd need to manually
contact people to change things
c) Use our registrar (godaddy)
d) Other?



what about cachefly deal?


Turns out it wasn't cachefly, but reflected.net, which is related
somehow to cachefly....


if they have geolocation then +1 for them.

--
IonuČ›
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org