Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Dan McGee

Default News draft for dropping tcp_wrappers

Dropping tcp_wrappers support

Due to upstream not having released a new version since April 1997, we
are dropping `tcp_wrappers` support from all packages and removing the
package from `[core]`. In addition, newer daemons and applications are
inconsistent in their support for libwrap, leading to confusion as to
whether an application supports the library.

If you currently use `/etc/hosts.allow` or `/etc/hosts.deny` for
security or logging purposes, you will need to adjust accordingly and
use another tool such as `iptables`.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Grigorios Bouzakis

Dan McGee wrote:
> Dropping tcp_wrappers support
>
> Due to upstream not having released a new version since April 1997, we
> are dropping `tcp_wrappers` support from all packages and removing the
> package from `[core]`. In addition, newer daemons and applications are
> inconsistent in their support for libwrap, leading to confusion as to
> whether an application supports the library.
>
> If you currently use `/etc/hosts.allow` or `/etc/hosts.deny` for
> security or logging purposes, you will need to adjust accordingly and
> use another tool such as `iptables`.

Why has this been announced since it hasnt happened yet?
Isn't that the point of news? Announce something thats taken place.
But this is still in testing which isnt a news worthy place.

Greg
--
() against html e-mail | usenet & email communication netiquette
/ www.asciiribbon.org | www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Florian Pritz

On 16.07.2011 21:09, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> Dan McGee wrote:
>> Dropping tcp_wrappers support
>>
>> Due to upstream not having released a new version since April 1997, we
>> are dropping `tcp_wrappers` support from all packages and removing the
>> package from `[core]`. In addition, newer daemons and applications are
>> inconsistent in their support for libwrap, leading to confusion as to
>> whether an application supports the library.
>>
>> If you currently use `/etc/hosts.allow` or `/etc/hosts.deny` for
>> security or logging purposes, you will need to adjust accordingly and
>> use another tool such as `iptables`.
>>

> Why has this been announced since it hasnt happened yet?
> Isn't that the point of news? Announce something thats taken place.
> But this is still in testing which isnt a news worthy place.

Dan posted this now so tcp_wrapper users have to to prepare before
things go sideways since their systems might be unprotected when they
install the updates.

--
Florian Pritz

Old 07-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Grigorios Bouzakis

Florian Pritz wrote:
> On 16.07.2011 21:09, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
>> Dan McGee wrote:
>>> Dropping tcp_wrappers support
>>>
>>> Due to upstream not having released a new version since April 1997, we=
>
>>> are dropping `tcp_wrappers` support from all packages and removing the=
>
>>> package from `[core]`. In addition, newer daemons and applications are=
>
>>> inconsistent in their support for libwrap, leading to confusion as to
>>> whether an application supports the library.
>>>
>>> If you currently use `/etc/hosts.allow` or `/etc/hosts.deny` for
>>> security or logging purposes, you will need to adjust accordingly and
>>> use another tool such as `iptables`.
>>>

>> Why has this been announced since it hasnt happened yet?
>> Isn't that the point of news? Announce something thats taken place.
>> But this is still in testing which isnt a news worthy place.
>
> Dan posted this now so tcp_wrapper users have to to prepare before
> things go sideways since their systems might be unprotected when they
> install the updates.

Thanks, i always had the idea that when news are announced people are
going to find the news item in the next system update even if its
performed 1 min after the announcement. For the rest, theres
arch-dev-public.
Maybe its a good practice announcing things beforehand but i have the
feeling that it wasnt always the case. Probably just a matter of
habit/preference.

Greg