Old 05-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default udev-169-1

Hi guys,

This is an upstream update together with the following changes:

* we no longer disable error logging. This can be done manually if
needed, but the lack of error messages makes finding errors harder.
Besides, if the messages are truly unnecessary it should be reported
upstream.
* we no longer maintain our own custom cd symlinks. This change is
just to get closer to upstream, and it does not lose significant
functionality (also, the custom script is likely to bitrot).
* we longer autoload oss emulation modules. This can be added to
MODULES in rc.conf if needed, but is not needed by most people and
causes problems for some, so don't do i by default. In the future we
will not load any modules by default except for what is done upstream.
This seemed the most obvious, so changed it first.
* we no longer provide persistent net/cd autogeneration rules. This is
deprecated upstream and should be done as explained on the arch wiki.

I might leave this package in [testing] somewhat longer than strictly
necessary to pick up on any obscure bugs (we were hit by some with the
168 release).

Also note: with this release we need kernel 2.6.32 or later.

Please test and signoff.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Ángel Velásquez

2011/5/19 Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no>:
> Hi guys,
>
> This is an upstream update together with the following changes:
>
> * we no longer disable error logging. This can be done manually if
> needed, but the lack of error messages makes finding errors harder.
> Besides, if the messages are truly unnecessary it should be reported
> upstream.
> * we no longer maintain our own custom cd symlinks. This change is
> just to get closer to upstream, and it does not lose significant
> functionality (also, the custom script is likely to bitrot).
> * we longer autoload oss emulation modules. This can be added to
> MODULES in rc.conf if needed, but is not needed by most people and
> causes problems for some, so don't do i by default. In the future we
> will not load any modules by default except for what is done upstream.
> This seemed the most obvious, so changed it first.
> * we no longer provide persistent net/cd autogeneration rules. This is
> deprecated upstream and should be done as explained on the arch wiki.
>
> I might leave this package in [testing] somewhat longer than strictly
> necessary to pick up on any obscure bugs (we were hit by some with the
> 168 release).
>
> Also note: with this release we need kernel 2.6.32 or later.
>
> Please test and signoff.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Signoff x86_64 tested on some virtuals and my pc.

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Old 05-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Evangelos Foutras

On 19 May 2011 19:11, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This is an upstream update together with the following changes:

No signoff because udev 170 has been released with the following NEWS addition:

---------
Fix bug in control message handling, which can lead to a failing
udevadm control --exit. Thanks to Jürg Billeter for help tracking
it down.
---------

We use 'udevadm control --exit' [1] in mkinitcpio 0.6.12, so an update
to udev 170 would be nice.

[1] http://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpio.git/commit/?id=60c9d0d292fbb8a54aaeec99037ef0d684897233

Old 05-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:

> We use 'udevadm control --exit' [1] in mkinitcpio 0.6.12, so an update
> to udev 170 would be nice.

Yes, building... ;-)

-t