Old 04-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Default Temporarily removed nvidia legacy driver

Just to let you know: I have removed the nvidia-173xx driver packages
from [extra]. They wont work with current xorg-server anyway. Once
nvidia releases a new driver these can be readded easily. Keeping a
package that cannot work is kind of pointless.

Greetings,

Pierre

Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Pierre Schmitz

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:54:40 +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Just to let you know: I have removed the nvidia-173xx driver packages
> from [extra]. They wont work with current xorg-server anyway. Once
> nvidia releases a new driver these can be readded easily. Keeping a
> package that cannot work is kind of pointless.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre

I also had to remove the nvidia-96xx packages we still had. This means
if you want to use the proprietary driver you'll need at least a Geforce
6. There is nothing we can do about this.

Greetings,

Pierre

Old 04-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Daniel Isenmann

Just to let you know: I have removed the nvidia-173xx driver packages
from [extra]. They wont work with current xorg-server anyway. Once
nvidia releases a new driver these can be readded easily. Keeping a
package that cannot work is kind of pointless.

Greetings,

Pierre

I also had to remove the nvidia-96xx packages we still had. This means
if you want to use the proprietary driver you'll need at least a Geforce
6. There is nothing we can do about this.

Greetings,

Pierre

You should post this on the frontpage. I think that lots of users use
those drivers and they will be surprised when it won't work after the
update. Add a recommendation to use the nouveau-driver instead as long
as there are no new driver from nvidia. Maybe some users stay with the
nouveau driver after the switch.

Daniel

Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Pierre Schmitz

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:05:55 +0200, Daniel Isenmann wrote:
> Am 14.04.2011 07:58, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:54:40 +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>>> Just to let you know: I have removed the nvidia-173xx driver packages
>>> from [extra]. They wont work with current xorg-server anyway. Once
>>> nvidia releases a new driver these can be readded easily. Keeping a
>>> package that cannot work is kind of pointless.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Pierre
>> I also had to remove the nvidia-96xx packages we still had. This means
>> if you want to use the proprietary driver you'll need at least a Geforce
>> 6. There is nothing we can do about this.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Pierre
>
> You should post this on the frontpage. I think that lots of users use
> those drivers and they will be surprised when it won't work after the
> update. Add a recommendation to use the nouveau-driver instead as long
> as there are no new driver from nvidia. Maybe some users stay with the
> nouveau driver after the switch.
>
> Daniel

Sure, would be a good idea if someone could do that. I cannot tell how
useful nouveau is though. The probably only support newer cards, too.
Especially when you want to have basic 3D support.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Gaetan Bisson

[2011-04-14 08:04:09 +0100] Pierre Schmitz:
> Sure, would be a good idea if someone could do that.

How about the following draft?

Title: nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx removed from [extra]

The nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx driver packages have been removed from
our repositories as they are incompatible with newer xorg servers. This
can only be fixed by an upstream update, which has not happened yet.

For most video cards, the best alternative should be xf86-video-nouveau;
xf86-video-nv and xf86-video-vesa are lower-grade alternatives. Simply
install those packages and remove the old nvidia one(s); the xorg server
will automatically pick the best one at startup.

--
Gaetan

Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Ionuț Bîru

[2011-04-14 08:04:09 +0100] Pierre Schmitz:

Sure, would be a good idea if someone could do that.

How about the following draft?

Title: nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx removed from [extra]

The nvidia-173xx and nvidia-96xx driver packages have been removed from
our repositories as they are incompatible with newer xorg servers. This
can only be fixed by an upstream update, which has not happened yet.tha

For most video cards, the best alternative should be xf86-video-nouveau;
xf86-video-nv and xf86-video-vesa are lower-grade alternatives. Simply
install those packages and remove the old nvidia one(s); the xorg server
will automatically pick the best one at startup.

nouveau is not picked automatically. maybe point them to the wiki

--
Ionuț

Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 14.04.2011 11:21, schrieb Ionuț Bîru:
> nouveau is not picked automatically.

What do you mean by that?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Ionuț Bîru