Old 02-05-2008, 02:02 AM
"Travis Willard"

Default Request: move links to core/support

On Feb 4, 2008 9:35 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like your opinion about moving links to core/support as suggested
> in FS#9432 in order to have a CLI browser available on the ISO. From the
> comments on the FR, some users needs to access a web page to enable their
> internet connection. It will also allow them to search the web/wiki for
> installation help. BTW, the FR got 9 votes since being submitted last
> Friday so it seem to be a popular request.
>
> I think that it's a reasonable request as we already supply other network
> tools like openssh, iptables and netkit-telnet in core. Plus, we don't
> supply info pages so they need a browser to get that information on the
> web.

I say go for it - sounds like a great idea.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:43 AM
"Dan McGee"

On Feb 4, 2008 9:02 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 9:35 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like your opinion about moving links to core/support as suggested
> > in FS#9432 in order to have a CLI browser available on the ISO. From the
> > comments on the FR, some users needs to access a web page to enable their
> > internet connection. It will also allow them to search the web/wiki for
> > installation help. BTW, the FR got 9 votes since being submitted last
> > Friday so it seem to be a popular request.
> >
> > I think that it's a reasonable request as we already supply other network
> > tools like openssh, iptables and netkit-telnet in core. Plus, we don't
> > supply info pages so they need a browser to get that information on the
> > web.
>
> I say go for it - sounds like a great idea.

Huge +1 from me- I remember that I had to do a full install so I could
get to a text mode web browser to activate my internet connection
(register my MAC address), and then wiped the whole system so I could
do a fresh up-to-date FTP install.

-Dan

Old 02-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Thayer Williams

On Feb 04, 2008 7:43 PM PST, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 9:02 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Feb 4, 2008 9:35 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would like your opinion about moving links to core/support as suggested
> > > in FS#9432 in order to have a CLI browser available on the ISO. From the
> > > comments on the FR, some users needs to access a web page to enable their
> > > internet connection. It will also allow them to search the web/wiki for
> > > installation help. BTW, the FR got 9 votes since being submitted last
> > > Friday so it seem to be a popular request.
> > >
> > > I think that it's a reasonable request as we already supply other network
> > > tools like openssh, iptables and netkit-telnet in core. Plus, we don't
> > > supply info pages so they need a browser to get that information on the
> > > web.
> >
> > I say go for it - sounds like a great idea.
>
> Huge +1 from me- I remember that I had to do a full install so I could
> get to a text mode web browser to activate my internet connection
> (register my MAC address), and then wiped the whole system so I could
> do a fresh up-to-date FTP install.
>
> -Dan

+1 from the new guy... I've missed this feature twice already.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:04 AM
James

+1

missed that too.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Feb 4, 2008 8:35 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like your opinion about moving links to core/support as suggested
> in FS#9432 in order to have a CLI browser available on the ISO. From the
> comments on the FR, some users needs to access a web page to enable their
> internet connection. It will also allow them to search the web/wiki for
> installation help. BTW, the FR got 9 votes since being submitted last
> Friday so it seem to be a popular request.
>
> I think that it's a reasonable request as we already supply other network
> tools like openssh, iptables and netkit-telnet in core. Plus, we don't
> supply info pages so they need a browser to get that information on the
> web.

I submit URLs to a daemon which emails them back to me[1], so I have
no need of such a thing, but mere mortals may. Go for it

1: http://lwn.net/Articles/262570/

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Thayer Williams

On Feb 05, 2008 9:00 AM PST, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 8:35 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like your opinion about moving links to core/support as suggested
> > in FS#9432 in order to have a CLI browser available on the ISO. From the
> > comments on the FR, some users needs to access a web page to enable their
> > internet connection. It will also allow them to search the web/wiki for
> > installation help. BTW, the FR got 9 votes since being submitted last
> > Friday so it seem to be a popular request.
> >
> > I think that it's a reasonable request as we already supply other network
> > tools like openssh, iptables and netkit-telnet in core. Plus, we don't
> > supply info pages so they need a browser to get that information on the
> > web.
>
> I submit URLs to a daemon which emails them back to me[1], so I have
> no need of such a thing, but mere mortals may. Go for it
>

> 1: http://lwn.net/Articles/262570/

That's hardcore.

Having just rebuilt my arch installation last night after a major SNAFU,
I can now say I've missed this feature THREE times! =)

Tip of the Day:

Don't 'rm -rf /etc' when you have mountains of homework and a busy
work schedule. It's not fun.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
"Jeff Mickey"

+7

One for each time I've missed this. Unless of course we add the
daemon to email me each webpage to core. Then I'll just email the
daemon, and it'll email me back, and I'll have the web page.

// jeff
--
. : [ + carpe diem totus tuus + ] : .