-   -   ArchCon 2009, Take 2: Let's make a date (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/4600-archcon-2009-take-2-lets-make-date.html)

Tom K 11-25-2007 10:18 AM

ArchCon 2009, Take 2: Let's make a date

And we're back. :)

Here's how I see this working:
1. We agree a date
2. We agree a location
3 and upwards. We organise some stuff

This mail is about step 1. ArchCon's date is the single most important
element to be confirmed, and probably the hardest as well. I suggested
2009 in the original proposal because it's likely that some people
already have plans for 2008. Obviously, there are also people who
already have plans for 2009, but probably not as many. If we're going to
do this, we should regard ArchCon as a pre-existing commitment that is
given priority over other activities, and not something that we try to
squeeze into existing schedules.

To kick this off, I'm making some provisional decisions here:

* ArchCon will take place over a weekend
* ArchCon will last no more than four days
* ArchCon will take place in warm weather (Yes, I know, that's a
date/location mix, but necessary for the next step) (James - see below)

And now here are five randomly-chosen corresponding weekend periods in 2009:
29 May - 01 June
26 - 29 June
24 - 27 July
21 - 24 August
18 - 21 September

I would ask everyone to indicate which of these periods would suit them.
Please select as many as possible, to increase our chances of finding a
good one, and set aside any other concerns, such as funding, travel
arrangements, size of mugs, etc. If we don't come up with a date, none
of that will matter anyway.

If anyone has a particularly strong case for a different weekend that
meets the same criteria, please post the details.

I realise that individual weekends may be too specific at this stage,
but I'm going for a shortcut here - it would be worthwhile if we didn't
have to drill down from month to week to weekend.

So fire up cal/remind/Google/Oprius/whatever, pencil in some weekends
for ArchCon, and post them here. I'd appreciate a majority of responses
before the next Status Report, which is due in just over a week. If we
can get the date confirmed before Christmas, that would be great.

James - I am also aware that my warm weather requirement, combined with
my chosen dates, indicates a preference for the Northern Hemisphere, but
our geographical distribution suggests that anyway, right?

Regards
Tom.

Simo Leone 11-25-2007 10:49 AM

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 11:18:34AM +0000, Tom K wrote:
> And we're back. :)
>
> Here's how I see this working:
> 1. We agree a date
> 2. We agree a location
> 3 and upwards. We organise some stuff
>
> This mail is about step 1. ArchCon's date is the single most important
> element to be confirmed, and probably the hardest as well. I suggested
> 2009 in the original proposal because it's likely that some people
> already have plans for 2008. Obviously, there are also people who
> already have plans for 2009, but probably not as many. If we're going to
> do this, we should regard ArchCon as a pre-existing commitment that is
> given priority over other activities, and not something that we try to
> squeeze into existing schedules.
>
> To kick this off, I'm making some provisional decisions here:
>
> * ArchCon will take place over a weekend
> * ArchCon will last no more than four days
> * ArchCon will take place in warm weather (Yes, I know, that's a
> date/location mix, but necessary for the next step) (James - see below)
>
> And now here are five randomly-chosen corresponding weekend periods in 2009:
> 29 May - 01 June
> 26 - 29 June
> 24 - 27 July
> 21 - 24 August
> 18 - 21 September
>
> I would ask everyone to indicate which of these periods would suit them.
> Please select as many as possible, to increase our chances of finding a
> good one, and set aside any other concerns, such as funding, travel
> arrangements, size of mugs, etc. If we don't come up with a date, none
> of that will matter anyway.
>
> If anyone has a particularly strong case for a different weekend that
> meets the same criteria, please post the details.
>
> I realise that individual weekends may be too specific at this stage,
> but I'm going for a shortcut here - it would be worthwhile if we didn't
> have to drill down from month to week to weekend.
>
> So fire up cal/remind/Google/Oprius/whatever, pencil in some weekends
> for ArchCon, and post them here. I'd appreciate a majority of responses
> before the next Status Report, which is due in just over a week. If we
> can get the date confirmed before Christmas, that would be great.
>
> James - I am also aware that my warm weather requirement, combined with
> my chosen dates, indicates a preference for the Northern Hemisphere, but
> our geographical distribution suggests that anyway, right?

Well for lack of other reasons, I'd say we should throw out May, August,
and September, because a bunch of us (maybe just me nowadays?) still go
to school, and those are all times that school usually occupies.

-S

"James Rayner" 11-25-2007 11:52 AM

ArchCon 2009, Take 2: Let's make a date

> James - I am also aware that my warm weather requirement, combined with
> my chosen dates, indicates a preference for the Northern Hemisphere, but
> our geographical distribution suggests that anyway, right?

Only date above that suggests warmer weather for here is the September
one, but that's no good for me. September = Exams, or immediately before
them.

I didn't expect it to be here anyway... making all of you buy
international tickets just to visit me seems a bit unfair.. Probably
easier if we keep it on the cheap for as many as we can (so Europe/Nth
America) and you all pay for my ticket j/k.

Being a student, the only time I'd be able to do it is my mid-year or
summer break. Summer break is a no-go as it's Nov-Feb -- and I'll have an
industry placement at the end of 2009. My mid year isn't too flexible
either, this year was 25-Jun to 13-July, plus a few days before because my
exams finished early. I can't say when it'll be in 2009.

James

Pierre Schmitz 11-25-2007 01:44 PM

ArchCon 2009, Take 2: Let's make a date

Hi all,

just an idea: it might be a good idea to organize our own meeting at Froscon
09. For example Drupal organized such an event this year. The good thing is
that we could have conferrence rooms, food and even a place to sleep for
free.

Pierre

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Strae 76
53115 Bonn

Telefon 0228 9716608
Mobil 0160 95269831
Jabber pierre@jabber.archlinux.de
WWW http://www.archlinux.de

Jan de Groot 11-25-2007 06:02 PM

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 15:44 +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just an idea: it might be a good idea to organize our own meeting at Froscon
> 09. For example Drupal organized such an event this year. The good thing is
> that we could have conferrence rooms, food and even a place to sleep for
> free.
>
> Pierre

And even if you don't want to sleep in the project room, the regina
hotel nearby has a special offer for froscon people. I had a deal for 40
euros per night for a room with quite some luxury.
Only problem is that besides the social event during froscon, there's
nothing special about Sankt Augustin, the place is just dead during
froscon.

Damir Perisa 11-25-2007 06:06 PM

Sunday 25 November 2007, Jan de Groot wrote:
| On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 15:44 +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
| > Hi all,
| >
| > just an idea: it might be a good idea to organize our own
| > meeting at Froscon 09. For example Drupal organized such an
| > event this year. The good thing is that we could have
| > conferrence rooms, food and even a place to sleep for free.
| >
| > Pierre
|
| And even if you don't want to sleep in the project room, the
| regina hotel nearby has a special offer for froscon people. I had
| a deal for 40 euros per night for a room with quite some luxury.
| Only problem is that besides the social event during froscon,
| there's nothing special about Sankt Augustin, the place is just
| dead during froscon.

because of all the computer zombies walking around at this time? all
the population stays at home with nailed doors and windows?

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .

><((((>

<)))><
<)))><

Pierre Schmitz 11-25-2007 06:51 PM

Am Sonntag, 25. November 2007 20:02:07 schrieb Jan de Groot:
> Only problem is that besides the social event during froscon, there's
> nothing special about Sankt Augustin, the place is just dead during
> froscon.

Right,but this should only matter if we want to meet for more than just one
weekend.

"Roman Kyrylych" 11-29-2007 11:26 AM

2007/11/25, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>:
> Hi all,
>
> just an idea: it might be a good idea to organize our own meeting at Froscon
> 09. For example Drupal organized such an event this year. The good thing is
> that we could have conferrence rooms, food and even a place to sleep for
> free.

If Froscon'09 will be at August, 25th/26th (as the last one) - I'm
fine with that date.
I'm also fine with the country (as well as with others here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement).
Though I cannot guarantee I'll be able to take part in ArchCon.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

"Aaron Griffin" 11-29-2007 05:20 PM

On Nov 29, 2007 6:26 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/11/25, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > just an idea: it might be a good idea to organize our own meeting at Froscon
> > 09. For example Drupal organized such an event this year. The good thing is
> > that we could have conferrence rooms, food and even a place to sleep for
> > free.
> >

> If Froscon'09 will be at August, 25th/26th (as the last one) - I'm
> fine with that date.

I thought we wanted warm and scenic.... Germany in August?
O.o
hah

Jan de Groot 11-29-2007 05:40 PM

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 12:20 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 6:26 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2007/11/25, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > just an idea: it might be a good idea to organize our own meeting at Froscon
> > > 09. For example Drupal organized such an event this year. The good thing is
> > > that we could have conferrence rooms, food and even a place to sleep for
> > > free.
> > >

> > If Froscon'09 will be at August, 25th/26th (as the last one) - I'm
> > fine with that date.
>
> I thought we wanted warm and scenic.... Germany in August?
> O.o
> hah

Last froscon was quite good weather, we could still wear normal clothes
without getting cold during the social event with Free beer^H^H^H^H
Kolsch and google-sausages.