Old 12-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Alexander Baldeck

Default ArchCon 2009, Take 2: Let's make a date

Aaron Griffin wrote:

On Nov 29, 2007 6:26 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:

2007/11/25, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>:

Hi all,

just an idea: it might be a good idea to organize our own meeting at Froscon
09. For example Drupal organized such an event this year. The good thing is
that we could have conferrence rooms, food and even a place to sleep for
free.

If Froscon'09 will be at August, 25th/26th (as the last one) - I'm
fine with that date.

I thought we wanted warm and scenic.... Germany in August?
O.o
hah

August usually can be one of the hottest months in Germany in summer...
well, according to the average of the past 1000 years which seemed to
have changed lately. heh

Anyway, for me any date is fine as it's still more than one year away.
pff... I don't even have a schedule that's further ahead than 4 weeks. :P

Cheers,

-F

Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Dec 14, 2007 4:31 PM, Alexander Baldeck <kth5@archlinuxppc.org> wrote:

> Aaron Griffin wrote:

> >> If Froscon'09 will be at August, 25th/26th (as the last one) - I'm
> >> fine with that date.
> >
> > I thought we wanted warm and scenic.... Germany in August?
> > O.o
> > hah
>
> August usually can be one of the hottest months in Germany in summer...
> well, according to the average of the past 1000 years which seemed to
> have changed lately. heh
>
> Anyway, for me any date is fine as it's still more than one year away.
> pff... I don't even have a schedule that's further ahead than 4 weeks. :P

Same here. I rarely plan ahead more than a week or so, except for
things that other people setup, like parties, birthdays, holidays, etc

Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Tom K

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2007 4:31 PM, Alexander Baldeck <kth5@archlinuxppc.org> wrote:
>> Aaron Griffin wrote:

>>> I thought we wanted warm and scenic.... Germany in August?
>>> O.o
>>> hah
>> August usually can be one of the hottest months in Germany in summer...
>> well, according to the average of the past 1000 years which seemed to
>> have changed lately. heh
>>
>> Anyway, for me any date is fine as it's still more than one year away.
>> pff... I don't even have a schedule that's further ahead than 4 weeks. :P
>
> Same here. I rarely plan ahead more than a week or so, except for
> things that other people setup, like parties, birthdays, holidays, etc

Well, if there's a general feeling that we should go for '08, that's
fine with me too.

Re the current trend of this conversation: I can of course see the
practical benefits of organising our shindig around an existing,
established event. I have to say, though, that my original thought was
for ArchCon to stand on its own. Whether that's practical or not is open
to discussion, of course.

T.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 PM
"Travis Willard"

On Dec 14, 2007 6:04 PM, Tom K <tom@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Well, if there's a general feeling that we should go for '08, that's
> fine with me too.

I'd personally prefer '09 - already have vacation planned for '08, and
not sure if I'll be able to justify two extravagent trips.

> Re the current trend of this conversation: I can of course see the
> practical benefits of organising our shindig around an existing,
> established event. I have to say, though, that my original thought was
> for ArchCon to stand on its own. Whether that's practical or not is open
> to discussion, of course.

I thought stand-alone too, but that involves a ton of planning if we
wanna do some kind of 'real' convention. If it's just a bunch of
dev's in someone's mother's basement, then it'd be easier to do, heh.

I don't mind organizing this around another con, or whatever - but I'd
greatly prefer 2009. Any day/time combo is good for me in '09, and
pretty well nothing will be good in '08.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Alexander Baldeck

Travis Willard wrote:

Well, if there's a general feeling that we should go for '08, that's
fine with me too.

I'd personally prefer '09 - already have vacation planned for '08, and
not sure if I'll be able to justify two extravagent trips.

I'm less for '09 than '08. I don't know where I'm going to be in '08 and
saving money plus then keeping it is a great hassle. Berlin is a great
city to live it but not to make a living. Thus, I may be outta here by
then or simply wouldn't know where I'd be. Just a feeling about not
liking to plan that much ahead.

Re the current trend of this conversation: I can of course see the
practical benefits of organising our shindig around an existing,
established event. I have to say, though, that my original thought was
for ArchCon to stand on its own. Whether that's practical or not is open
to discussion, of course.

I thought stand-alone too, but that involves a ton of planning if we
wanna do some kind of 'real' convention. If it's just a bunch of
dev's in someone's mother's basement, then it'd be easier to do, heh.

Hypothetically, if we would decide to do it in Germany I'd be able to
get a huge room in the middle of town in the Tacheles art house for
almost free. A week is about 400 bucks but since it's only 3 days, well.
Internet redundancy is 4x and lots of people backing it. Well, I don't
think doing this at someone's house is a very good idea.

I don't mind organizing this around another con, or whatever - but I'd
greatly prefer 2009. Any day/time combo is good for me in '09, and
pretty well nothing will be good in '08.

I'd rather not. Linuxtag wasn't all so bad cos it was a Linux fair and
we hung around the booth most of the time anyways. But on froscon I
would imagine, with that intensity of topics we'd easily be distracted
by non-arch related stuff.

Cheers,

-G