-   -   Request: adding alpine to extra (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-development/45275-request-adding-alpine-extra.html)

Eric Belanger 02-02-2008 05:18 AM

Request: adding alpine to extra

Hi,

I would like to add alpine to the extra repo where it will replace pine
which is no longer being developped. Reference: FS#9040.

Any objections?

believed to be clean.

"Varun Acharya" 02-02-2008 06:03 AM

On Feb 2, 2008 11:48 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

Hi,

I would like to add alpine to the extra repo where it will replace pine
which is no longer being developped. Reference: FS#9040.

Any objections?

believed to be clean.

None whatsoever ..

Varun

"Roman Kyrylych" 02-02-2008 07:39 AM

2008/2/2, Varun Acharya <ganja.guru.x64@gmail.com>:

> On Feb 2, 2008 11:48 AM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to add alpine to the extra repo where it will replace pine
> > which is no longer being developped. Reference: FS#9040.
> >
> > Any objections?
>
> None whatsoever ..

Go Eric, go! :-)

--
Roman Kyrylych (Ð*оман Кирилич)

Paul Mattal 02-02-2008 01:25 PM

Eric Belanger wrote:

Hi,

I would like to add alpine to the extra repo where it will replace pine
which is no longer being developped. Reference: FS#9040.

+2, the second for encouragement!

Can we leave pine there too for a little while until people have had a
chance to transition?

- P

Thomas Bächler 02-02-2008 01:59 PM

Paul Mattal schrieb:
> Eric Belanger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to add alpine to the extra repo where it will replace
>> pine which is no longer being developped. Reference: FS#9040.
>
> +2, the second for encouragement!
>
> Can we leave pine there too for a little while until people have had a
> chance to transition?

I don't see the need: pine is no longer being developped, so there will
be no updates. People who already have it installed will need a
transition, people who don't will immediately start with alpine. A
package in the repository is no longer needed.

Eric Belanger 02-03-2008 08:29 PM

Request: adding alpine to extra

I would like to add alpine to the extra repo where it will replace
pine which is no longer being developped. Reference: FS#9040.

+2, the second for encouragement!

Can we leave pine there too for a little while until people have had a
chance to transition?

I don't see the need: pine is no longer being developped, so there will
be no updates. People who already have it installed will need a
transition, people who don't will immediately start with alpine. A
package in the repository is no longer needed.

If it would be better, I could add alpine to testing first with the
replace line in and keep pine in extra. And after 1-2 weeks , move alpine
to extra and remove pine. That might ease up the transition but I agree
with Thomas here.

believed to be clean.

"Aaron Griffin" 02-03-2008 10:35 PM

On Feb 3, 2008 3:29 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>
> > Paul Mattal schrieb:

> >> +2, the second for encouragement!
> >>
> >> Can we leave pine there too for a little while until people have had a
> >> chance to transition?
> >
> > I don't see the need: pine is no longer being developped, so there will
> > be no updates. People who already have it installed will need a
> > transition, people who don't will immediately start with alpine. A
> > package in the repository is no longer needed.
> >

> If it would be better, I could add alpine to testing first with the
> replace line in and keep pine in extra. And after 1-2 weeks , move alpine
> to extra and remove pine. That might ease up the transition but I agree
> with Thomas here.

I agree with you two as well. pine users should know what they're
doing anyway, so a transition shouldn't be hard

Eric Belanger 02-07-2008 05:09 PM

[...]

Should alpine go straight in extra or in testing first?
believed to be clean.

Paul Mattal 02-07-2008 06:02 PM

Eric Belanger wrote:

[...]

I'd say let's just drop it in testing for a short stint. I'll use a
guy in our office as a test case upgrade.

- P

Eric Belanger 02-11-2008 01:16 AM

[...]

OK, it's in testing for both arches.
believed to be clean.