Old 11-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Lukas Fleischer

Default repository cleanup

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:43:28PM +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> You should really think about that. There are many of the most
> important, oldest and best known packages in this list like dia, ding,
> xboard, eboard, epdfview, slmodem etc.
>
> In other words, your list is likely the half of the distro.
>
> If you would put all of them to AUR then you could give up Arch Linux,
> because then it has almost no advantage over Gentoo, that is, then will
> Arch Linux become a second Gentoo, because the users will have to
> compile a lot of (most of the) important packages manually.

Erm. There's still a chance all those packages will be moved to
[community] instead of unsupported. E.g. dia, xboard, epdfview and
slmodem are still marked as candidates to [community] and will not be
moved to the AUR.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Andrea Scarpino

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 12:43:28 Heiko Baums wrote:
> You should really think about that. There are many of the most
> important, oldest and best known packages in this list like dia, ding,
> xboard, eboard, epdfview, slmodem etc.
>
> In other words, your list is likely the half of the distro.
>
> If you would put all of them to AUR then you could give up Arch Linux,
> because then it has almost no advantage over Gentoo, that is, then will
> Arch Linux become a second Gentoo, because the users will have to
> compile a lot of (most of the) important packages manually.
>
> And the reason why I switched from Gentoo to Arch Linux about 3 or 4
> years ago after using Gentoo for about 6 years was that I was sick of
> compiling everything and that Arch Linux was a binary distribution.
>
> So if you would really do this clean up and move all these packages to
> AUR then I could and most likely would switch back to Gentoo.
>
> So really, please, reconsider your idea of doing this massive and
> pointless cleanup.
If you read with attention my mail, you read:

"If some DEV wants to keep a package simply cross it out (adoption is not
required, but it would be nice) or reply to this mail."

This means that if _any_ DEV consider a package important and he thinks that
should be kept in [extra], he only have to cross it out. Also, if you look at
that wiki page, ours TUs want to maintain more of them in [community]. So
there is no reasons to say that we will became a second Gentoo.

Cheers

--
Andrea Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer

Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Andrea Scarpino

Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Stéphane Gaudreault

Le mercredi 10 novembre 2010 05:33:32, Andrea Scarpino a écrit :
> Hi DEVs/TUs,
> currently we have 700 (counting both arches and any) orphans packages in
> [extra].
> As member of the orphans team, I made a list[1] of these packages and I'd
> like to move them to Unsupported.
> If some DEV wants to keep a package simply cross it out (adoption is not
> required, but it would be nice) or reply to this mail.
> If some TU wants to maintain a package in [community], please write the
> name into the "Candidate to [community]" section, *DO NOT* cross it out.
> Or reply to this mail.
>
> I think that a week is enough time for this job. 17th November I will move
> the remaining packages to Unsupported and the candidates to [community].
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Repo_Cleanup

I no longer use synergy, so I added it to the list.

Stéphane

Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Stéphane Gaudreault

Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Stefan Husmann

Am 10.11.2010 11:33, schrieb Andrea Scarpino:
> Hi DEVs/TUs,
> currently we have 700 (counting both arches and any) orphans packages in
> [extra].
> As member of the orphans team, I made a list[1] of these packages and I'd like
> to move them to Unsupported.
> If some DEV wants to keep a package simply cross it out (adoption is not
> required, but it would be nice) or reply to this mail.
> If some TU wants to maintain a package in [community], please write the name
> into the "Candidate to [community]" section, *DO NOT* cross it out. Or reply
> to this mail.
>
> I think that a week is enough time for this job. 17th November I will move the
> remaining packages to Unsupported and the candidates to [community].
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Repo_Cleanup

Hello,

why are sawfish and rep-gtk on the list, but not librep? I think these packages
belong together and should be maintained by the same person. I would like to
maintain them in [community].

Regards Stefan

Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Andrea Scarpino

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 22:27:43 Stefan Husmann wrote:
> why are sawfish and rep-gtk on the list, but not librep? I think these
> packages belong together and should be maintained by the same person. I
> would like to maintain them in [community].
Because librep is maintained by Jurgen, but I think that he forgot to orphan
it. Added librep to packages to remove from [extra] and librep, rep-gtk,
sawfish to candidates to [community]. Thanks

--
Andrea Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer

Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Roman Kyrylych

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:33, Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi DEVs/TUs,
> currently we have 700 (counting both arches and any) orphans packages in
> [extra].
> As member of the orphans team, I made a list[1] of these packages and I'd like
> to move them to Unsupported.
> If some DEV wants to keep a package simply cross it out (adoption is not
> required, but it would be nice) or reply to this mail.
> If some TU wants to maintain a package in [community], please write the name
> into the "Candidate to [community]" section, *DO NOT* cross it out. Or reply
> to this mail.
>
> I think that a week is enough time for this job. 17th November I will move the
> remaining packages to Unsupported and the candidates to [community].
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Repo_Cleanup

I adopted some (and edited the page).

--
Roman Kyrylych (Ð*оман Кирилич)

Old 11-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Andrea Scarpino

On Thursday 11 November 2010 22:54:36 Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> I adopted some (and edited the page).
Nice, today we have 291 orphans packages in [extra] (they were 352 three days
ago). 62 will be moved to [community]. 127 to AUR.

I didn't expect this success. I can start moving them today if you agree.

Full lists:

<COMMUNITY>
abuse
agg
alltray
antiword
arch
bomberclone
cdcd
cddb_get
centerim
chntpw
devil
dia
distcc
dmenu
dopewars
elinks
enigma
epdfview
fftw2
gdk-pixbuf
gocr
httptunnel
libnids
librep
libvisual-projectm
mailman
motion
ngrep
ntop
nvclock
patchutils
prboom
prelink
privoxy
projectm
pyogg
python-cheetah
python-eyed3
python-sqlobject
pyvorbis
qgit
quilt
rep-gtk
sawfish
silly
slmodem
slmodem-utils
spidermonkey
squashfs-tools
tor
twinkle
unarj
wmii
words
wput
xboard
xdialog
xemacs
xemacs-base
xemacs-sumo
xosd
xskat
</COMMUNITY>

<AUR>
3ddesktop
acct
acidrip
afterstep
autofs
biogrep
biopython
blassic
bonnie++
bootchart
came
ccrtp
ccscript3
cdlabelgen
cdtool
colortail
commoncpp2
corewars
cpudyn
cpufreqd
crimson
cssed
culmus
dbh
ding
dvdbackup
eboard
ed2k-gtk-gui
evms
flite
galculator
gcal
gcombust
gdeskcal
gdesklets
gift
gift-fasttrack
gift-gnutella
gift-openft
gimp-fourier
glabels
gmencoder
gnomeicu
gpart
graveman
gtick
gtk1-engines
gtkam
gtklp
gtk-smooth-engine
gtkterm
gtk-theme-switch
gxine
hexcurse
hping
httrack
hugs98
icmake
imwheel
ipvsadm
irda-utils
jed
joe
jpilot
lesstifextensions
libexif-gtk
libixp
libmal
libmusepack
libnjb
libsexymm
libzrtpcpp
lincity
linuxdcpp
luola
moon-buggy
moon-lander
mp3blaster
mrxvt
ne
netselect
pal
pan
parprouted
pebrot
pinball
planner
pure-ftpd
python-vpython
qof
qstat
rbldnsd
revelation
rockdodger
root-tail
rpmunpack
screem
seed
smtpprox
spamassassin-spamc
swatch
sylpheed
synergy
tcdr
tcptraceroute
tcsh
thttpd
tin
tpb
transset
ttf-isabella
ubuntulooks
uml_utilities
vacation
vconfig
viewglob
webalizer
wmix
x2vnc
xbl
xdrawchem
xfsdump
xpyb
xqf
xtermcontrol
xzgv
yodl
</AUR>

--
Andrea Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer

Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:46:30 +0100
schrieb Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org>:

> On Thursday 11 November 2010 22:54:36 Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> > I adopted some (and edited the page).
> Nice, today we have 291 orphans packages in [extra] (they were 352
> three days ago). 62 will be moved to [community]. 127 to AUR.
>
> I didn't expect this success. I can start moving them today if you
> agree.

> <AUR>
> ding
> galculator
> gift
> gift-fasttrack
> gift-gnutella
> gift-openft
> gimp-fourier
> gtklp
> hexcurse
> httrack
> pan
> screem
> tcptraceroute

Nice, then I would need to install 110 packages from AUR and compile
them manually. When I switched to Arch Linux about 3 years ago it was
less than 50.

When will the so called "binary distribution" Arch Linux become a
second Gentoo, a pure source based distribution, because "no developer
is interested in maintaining" anything anymore? Btw., PKGBUILDs also in
AUR need to be maintained.

Really sad this progress and this massive and pointless cleanup.

Those packages are also quite common and important:

> eboard
> gdesklets
> lincity
> pure-ftpd
> tcsh
> tin

I guess there are some more in your list.

Also squashfs-utils which is "degraded" to community belongs to [extra]
because it is necessary for building LiveCDs as far as I know.

You really should reconsider this cleanup. You should consider that
such a distribution - and Arch Linux isn't a small and unimportant
distro anymore - is not only about some personal preferences of the
developers. Developers of such a binary distro should also maintain
packages which they are not using themselves.

And, btw., funny enough was ding updated recently although it was
orphaned.

I wouldn't say anything if you would cleanup the official repos from
unnecessary, unimportant and unused or hardly used packages like some
ttf fonts, GTK1 themes, etc. But there are too many, too important
packages in your list which definitely belong into the official binary
repos and which are in the official binary repos of every other binary
distribution.

Heiko