Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Eric Belanger

Default pcre 7.6-1

Hi,

In testing for both arches. Please signoff.

Regular update. Upstream changelog:
The main reason for having this release so soon after 7.5 is because it
fixes a potential buffer overflow problem in pcre_compile() when run in
UTF-8 mode. In addition, the CMake configuration files have been brought
up to date.

believed to be clean.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:48 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/2/1, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca>:

> Hi,
>
> In testing for both arches. Please signoff.
>
> Regular update. Upstream changelog:
> The main reason for having this release so soon after 7.5 is because it
> fixes a potential buffer overflow problem in pcre_compile() when run in
> UTF-8 mode. In addition, the CMake configuration files have been brought
> up to date.

It seems there is a hidden (no .so bump) ABI breakage:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9437#comment24335

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 02-03-2008, 05:59 AM
"Varun Acharya"

On Feb 2, 2008 11:18 PM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/2/1, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca>:

> Hi,
>
> In testing for both arches. Please signoff.
>

> Regular update. Upstream changelog:
> The main reason for having this release so soon after 7.5 is because it
> fixes a potential buffer overflow problem in pcre_compile() when run in
> UTF-8 mode. In addition, the CMake configuration files have been brought

> up to date.

It seems there is a hidden (no .so bump) ABI breakage:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9437#comment24335

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)
packages which depend on pcre like grep, nmap and kdelibs seem to be functioning* ok, so +1 from me.
Varun

Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Jan de Groot

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 19:48 +0200, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> 2008/2/1, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > In testing for both arches. Please signoff.
> >
> > Regular update. Upstream changelog:
> > The main reason for having this release so soon after 7.5 is because it
> > fixes a potential buffer overflow problem in pcre_compile() when run in
> > UTF-8 mode. In addition, the CMake configuration files have been brought
> > up to date.
>
> It seems there is a hidden (no .so bump) ABI breakage:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9437#comment24335

-1 from me also. libpcrecpp has an ABI breakage. There's more than just
gnome-system-monitor that breaks, and there's no clear indication about
what packages are affected.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Jan de Groot

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 19:48 +0200, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> 2008/2/1, Eric Belanger <belanger@astro.umontreal.ca>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > In testing for both arches. Please signoff.
> >
> > Regular update. Upstream changelog:
> > The main reason for having this release so soon after 7.5 is because it
> > fixes a potential buffer overflow problem in pcre_compile() when run in
> > UTF-8 mode. In addition, the CMake configuration files have been brought
> > up to date.
>
> It seems there is a hidden (no .so bump) ABI breakage:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9437#comment24335

OK, bug fixed. I reverted the patch that causes 9437, it was a bugfix
for windows anyways.

I reported the problem upstream, and we'll see what it gets us. Either
our 7.6 package will be incompatible with future pcre releases, or they
will revert the patch in the next version also.

For people who recompiled software to work with pcre 7.6-1: they should
"downgrade" to the official versions, as pcre 7.6-2 is ABI compatible
with older versions.

signoff for x86_64 for 7.6-2.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Eric Belanger

[...]

Jan: Thanks for fixing it.

7.6-2 works here boths arches (I tested with gnome-system-monitor)

However, it might be better to keep it in testing for at least a couple of
days just to be on the safe side.

believed to be clean.