FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 PM
thayer
 
Default reimplementation of the new design (Pierre Schmitz)

On Jan 17, 2008 9:00 AM PST, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the last few days I have been working on implementation of the new design for
> archlinux.de. This might be interesting for some of you; especially for those
> who maintain other arch sites.
>
> I have simplified the css and html code. There were some strange and useless
> parts (like the background image to draw those two bars at the top)

Good job, I know it needs it. I am not going to worry about this for
now, because there are "changes in the works" that may make this
irrelevant.

> I have modified the logo: I removed the hard to read TM (isn't this useless
> anyway) and change the font from liberation to dejavu because of hinting
> errors. Furthermore I used Gimp instead of Inkscape to create the png which
> results in a much sharper output. Finally I used optipng to make all pngs
> smaller. :-)

I will stay clear of the trademark debate, but with respect to the
sub-text under the logo, this is simply a matter of preference. The old
logo did not use antialiasing, while the new one does. Some may argue
that means the new logo is broken--I disagree. Most professional logos
use antialiased fonts for text. I agree that Inkscape's font rendering
isn't the best, but personally I don't care for the ultra-crisp version
at the DE site either, but to each their own.

> I created the MediaWiki theme from scratch. Its based on the monobook theme
> but I left the original css files untouched. Instead I wrote a new
> archlinux.css which just overrides some box positions and colours to our
> needs. This should make upstream updates much easier. In the past some
> updates were a lot of work because of many changes to the css code. And of
> course: Its much easier to maintain only the changes in a separate file.

The work you did on the wiki looks great...if I could offer one
suggestion it would be to make sure the links are not the same colour as
the headings.

> I have changed some colours compared to the theme from archlinux.org (grey
> boxes on the start page and using grey and blue for the wiki)

Overall, I think you have some great ideas about separating the styles
from the upstream content/themes--we plan to do the same for the
official site. The current state of the official site is definitely in
transition--we mainly want to get the new logo into circulation at this
point. The 'refinement' is coming...

I think a LOT of css (and even some semantic markup) can be removed from
the official Arch sites, but I just came on board and until we have a
clear vision as to what we're going to accomplish, I don't want waste
what precious the other web devs have.

Kudos for doing such a good job on the DE site!
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default reimplementation of the new design (Pierre Schmitz)

Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2008 20:34:28 schrieb thayer:
> I will stay clear of the trademark debate, but with respect to the
> sub-text under the logo, this is simply a matter of preference. The old
> logo did not use antialiasing, while the new one does. Some may argue
> that means the new logo is broken--I disagree. Most professional logos
> use antialiased fonts for text. I agree that Inkscape's font rendering
> isn't the best, but personally I don't care for the ultra-crisp version
> at the DE site either, but to each their own.

You are right. Fonts should be antialiased. And on the de-logo I enabled
antialiasing and hinting. I only switched the Font to dejavu because
liberation had some strange hinting on smaller sizes.

>
> > I created the MediaWiki theme from scratch. Its based on the monobook
> > theme but I left the original css files untouched. Instead I wrote a new
> > archlinux.css which just overrides some box positions and colours to our
> > needs. This should make upstream updates much easier. In the past some
> > updates were a lot of work because of many changes to the css code. And
> > of course: Its much easier to maintain only the changes in a separate
> > file.
>
> The work you did on the wiki looks great...if I could offer one
> suggestion it would be to make sure the links are not the same colour as
> the headings.

You are right. Among some other colour-changes I switched the heading to a
darker grey.

>
> > I have changed some colours compared to the theme from archlinux.org
> > (grey boxes on the start page and using grey and blue for the wiki)
>
> Overall, I think you have some great ideas about separating the styles
> from the upstream content/themes--we plan to do the same for the
> official site. The current state of the official site is definitely in
> transition--we mainly want to get the new logo into circulation at this
> point. The 'refinement' is coming...

OK, perhaps we could coordinate this a bit. If wanted I could try to make
MediaWiki independent from a special site (.org, .de, .fr, .it etc) and
upload it to projects.archlinux.org.

>
> I think a LOT of css (and even some semantic markup) can be removed from
> the official Arch sites, but I just came on board and until we have a
> clear vision as to what we're going to accomplish, I don't want waste
> what precious the other web devs have.
>
> Kudos for doing such a good job on the DE site!

thanks :-)

--
archlinux.de
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 PM
"Aaron Griffin"
 
Default reimplementation of the new design (Pierre Schmitz)

On Jan 17, 2008 2:14 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> OK, perhaps we could coordinate this a bit. If wanted I could try to make
> MediaWiki independent from a special site (.org, .de, .fr, .it etc) and
> upload it to projects.archlinux.org.

I was figuring we could throw all our templates up there somewhere.
MediaWiki, punbb, flyspray. I'm sure someone would find this useful
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org