Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Pierre Schmitz

Default reimplementation of the new design

Hi all,

the last few days I have been working on implementation of the new design for
archlinux.de. This might be interesting for some of you; especially for those
who maintain other arch sites.

I have simplified the css and html code. There were some strange and useless
parts (like the background image to draw those two bars at the top)

I have modified the logo: I removed the hard to read TM (isn't this useless
anyway) and change the font from liberation to dejavu because of hinting
errors. Furthermore I used Gimp instead of Inkscape to create the png which
results in a much sharper output. Finally I used optipng to make all pngs
smaller. :-)

I created the MediaWiki theme from scratch. Its based on the monobook theme
but I left the original css files untouched. Instead I wrote a new
archlinux.css which just overrides some box positions and colours to our
needs. This should make upstream updates much easier. In the past some
updates were a lot of work because of many changes to the css code. And of
course: Its much easier to maintain only the changes in a separate file.

I have changed some colours compared to the theme from archlinux.org (grey
boxes on the start page and using grey and blue for the wiki)

You can download the source code and svgs with git:

git clone http://git.archlinux.de/~pierre/www.archlinux.de.git
git clone http://git.archlinux.de/~pierre/wiki.archlinux.de.git

Hint: If you want to use the wiki you just need to modify ArchLinux.php to
your needs. And you might want to replace archlinux/logo.png by something
matching you language.

Its a vanilla version of the latest mediawiki code with three additions:
archlinux theme, FunnyDot spam protection and a module to authenticate at our
forum.

Greetings,

Pierre

--
archlinux.de

Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Pierre Schmitz

ah I forget to mention that I created a new favicon; the one used by
archlinux.org is not a real one but just a renamed png I think.

--
archlinux.de

Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 17, 2008 6:08 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> I have modified the logo: I removed the hard to read TM (isn't this useless
> anyway)

The ™ symbol may be used when trademark rights are claimed in relation
to a mark, but the mark has not been registered with the government
trademarks office of a particular country or jurisdiction, while the
(R) is used to indicate that the mark has been so registered. It is
not mandatory to use either symbol, although the force of convention
is such that the symbols are widely used around the world.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

Interpret that as you wish, but it seems a bit self-satisfying to me
to remove the TM just because you think it looks better.

-Dan

Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
eliott

On 1/17/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 6:08 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> > I have modified the logo: I removed the hard to read TM (isn't this useless
> > anyway)
>
> The ™ symbol may be used when trademark rights are claimed in relation
> to a mark, but the mark has not been registered with the government
> trademarks office of a particular country or jurisdiction, while the
> (R) is used to indicate that the mark has been so registered. It is
> not mandatory to use either symbol, although the force of convention
> is such that the symbols are widely used around the world.
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
>
> Interpret that as you wish, but it seems a bit self-satisfying to me
> to remove the TM just because you think it looks better.

Further, by altering the official logos, you could technically be infringing.
That isn't to say that your changes aren't good, etc. But...they
should go through official channels, not just 'I did this on my site
over here and am going to use it'.

I could be completely off base here. I am not, nor do I want to be, a lawyer.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2008 16:38:02 schrieb Dan McGee:
> > I have modified the logo: I removed the hard to read TM (isn't this
> > useless anyway)
>
> The ™ symbol may be used when trademark rights are claimed in relation
> to a mark, but the mark has not been registered with the government
> trademarks office of a particular country or jurisdiction, while the
> (R) is used to indicate that the mark has been so registered. It is
> not mandatory to use either symbol, although the force of convention
> is such that the symbols are widely used around the world.
> * *[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
>
> Interpret that as you wish, but it seems a bit self-satisfying to me
> to remove the TM just because you think it looks better.

Hold on! We are speaking about Germany and not the US. The trademark thing you
mentioned above is not valid for archlinux.de. Furthermore I will run into
trouble if I keep the TM. Some courts have decided that using TM in Germany
is not allowed when the mark is not registered. I know that this is different
in the US and the court knows it, too. :-) But their decision was based on
the fact that most people in Germany do not know about the difference between
TM and (R); afaik in Germany you can only register a mark at the patent
office or get some protection by using it in business.

Just fore reference:
http://www.internetworld.de/article/Preisgruppe1/03-10-18_Rechts_AK.pdf
http://www.typeforum.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 180&mode=thread&order=0

--
archlinux.de

Old 01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2008 17:38:10 schrieb eliott:
> Further, by altering the official logos, you could technically be
> infringing. That isn't to say that your changes aren't good, etc.
> But...they
> should go through official channels, not just 'I did this on my site
> over here and am going to use it'.

Don't go over the top. Indeed I have thought about this change and made some
research before. Perhaps I misunderstood the license of wrong but altering
the logo should be allowed.

So please cool down. Nothing horrible happend. In the first I only want share
my CSS- and HTML-code and not debate on lawyer aspects of changing some
pixels. :-)

--
archlinux.de

Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
eliott

On 1/17/08, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2008 16:38:02 schrieb Dan McGee:
> > > I have modified the logo: I removed the hard to read TM (isn't this
> > > useless anyway)
> >
> > The ™ symbol may be used when trademark rights are claimed in relation
> > to a mark, but the mark has not been registered with the government
> > trademarks office of a particular country or jurisdiction, while the
> > (R) is used to indicate that the mark has been so registered. It is
> > not mandatory to use either symbol, although the force of convention
> > is such that the symbols are widely used around the world.
> > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
> >
> > Interpret that as you wish, but it seems a bit self-satisfying to me
> > to remove the TM just because you think it looks better.
>
> Hold on! We are speaking about Germany and not the US. The trademark thing you
> mentioned above is not valid for archlinux.de. Furthermore I will run into
> trouble if I keep the TM. Some courts have decided that using TM in Germany
> is not allowed when the mark is not registered. I know that this is different
> in the US and the court knows it, too. :-) But their decision was based on
> the fact that most people in Germany do not know about the difference between
> TM and (R); afaik in Germany you can only register a mark at the patent
> office or get some protection by using it in business.

This whole thing feels like you are pissing in my cereal.
Congratulations for making my day suck a little bit more.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:53 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 17, 2008 10:56 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2008 17:38:10 schrieb eliott:
> > Further, by altering the official logos, you could technically be
> > infringing. That isn't to say that your changes aren't good, etc.
> > But...they
> > should go through official channels, not just 'I did this on my site
> > over here and am going to use it'.
>
> Don't go over the top. Indeed I have thought about this change and made some
> research before. Perhaps I misunderstood the license of wrong but altering
> the logo should be allowed.
>
> So please cool down. Nothing horrible happend. In the first I only want share
> my CSS- and HTML-code and not debate on lawyer aspects of changing some
> pixels. :-)

I have to side with Pierre here, let's not get hung up on stupid
things like graphics - we're a Linux distro, not a web design company.

Great job Pierre! Thayer wants to try to unify the CSS between all the
templates, so if you're interested in that, you might want to let him
know