Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Damir Perisa

Default kernel26 new logo

Monday 14 January 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:
| > I brought it up again since we've got the new logo on the site
| > now, and people are making noise on the forums to get the kernel
| > logo updated. *People are just hard to please, heh. :P
| >
| > Anyway, a decision should be made - either take 'em out, or
| > update 'em.
|
| Well, Thayer has recommended we remove it because the logo loses
| most of the effect in the craptacular colors provided by the
| initial VGA framebuffer.... me, I'm neutral. I don't reboot enough
| for that image to be relevant.

send me the SVG of the logo and i'll try to make a kernel logo that
tries to resemble the 24bit one. i did so for the last.

the VGA framebuffer has a limited ammoutn of colours, you have to
dither them to make them look nice.

arend we having also a black/white version that looks fine? and also a
grey version?

- D

--
.`..`..`..`..`..`. .

><((((>

<)))><
<)))><

Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 14, 2008 3:05 PM, Damir Perisa <damir.perisa@solnet.ch> wrote:
> Monday 14 January 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> | > I brought it up again since we've got the new logo on the site
> | > now, and people are making noise on the forums to get the kernel
> | > logo updated. People are just hard to please, heh. :P
> | >
> | > Anyway, a decision should be made - either take 'em out, or
> | > update 'em.
> |
> | Well, Thayer has recommended we remove it because the logo loses
> | most of the effect in the craptacular colors provided by the
> | initial VGA framebuffer.... me, I'm neutral. I don't reboot enough
> | for that image to be relevant.
>
> send me the SVG of the logo and i'll try to make a kernel logo that
> tries to resemble the 24bit one. i did so for the last.
>
> the VGA framebuffer has a limited ammoutn of colours, you have to
> dither them to make them look nice.
>
> arend we having also a black/white version that looks fine? and also a
> grey version?

Does this help? http://www.cinderwick.ca/archer/ I didn't look too
hard. There may be svg on there.

If not I cc'd Thayer on here 8)

Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Thayer Williams

On Jan 14, 2008 2:48 PM PST, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > | Well, Thayer has recommended we remove it because the logo loses
> > | most of the effect in the craptacular colors provided by the
> > | initial VGA framebuffer.... me, I'm neutral. I don't reboot enough
> > | for that image to be relevant.
> >
> > send me the SVG of the logo and i'll try to make a kernel logo that
> > tries to resemble the 24bit one. i did so for the last.
> >
> > the VGA framebuffer has a limited ammoutn of colours, you have to
> > dither them to make them look nice.
> >
> > arend we having also a black/white version that looks fine? and also a
> > grey version?
>
> Does this help? http://www.cinderwick.ca/archer/ I didn't look too
> hard. There may be svg on there.
>
> If not I cc'd Thayer on here 8)

If my opinion counts, and if a logo must be used (*grumble*) then I
would definitely prefer it to be 100% white. Personally, I don't see a
need for graphical icons in the framebuffer, but if they're going to be
used, it should be as subtle as possible.

All of the new logos are now available at http://www.archlinux.org/art/,
including an all-white version.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 14, 2008 4:37 PM, Thayer Williams <thayerw@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2008 2:48 PM PST, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > send me the SVG of the logo and i'll try to make a kernel logo that
> > > tries to resemble the 24bit one. i did so for the last.
> > >
> > > the VGA framebuffer has a limited ammoutn of colours, you have to
> > > dither them to make them look nice.
> > >
> > > arend we having also a black/white version that looks fine? and also a
> > > grey version?
> >
> > Does this help? http://www.cinderwick.ca/archer/ I didn't look too
> > hard. There may be svg on there.
> >
> > If not I cc'd Thayer on here 8)
>
> If my opinion counts, and if a logo must be used (*grumble*) then I
> would definitely prefer it to be 100% white. Personally, I don't see a
> need for graphical icons in the framebuffer, but if they're going to be
> used, it should be as subtle as possible.
>
> All of the new logos are now available at http://www.archlinux.org/art/,
> including an all-white version.

http://www.archlinux.org/logos/archlinux-official-white.svg

My eyes! The goggles do nothing! I can't see!

-Dan

Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM
eliott

On 1/14/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 4:37 PM, Thayer Williams <thayerw@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Does this help? http://www.cinderwick.ca/archer/ I didn't look too
> > > hard. There may be svg on there.
> > >
> > > If not I cc'd Thayer on here 8)
> >
> > If my opinion counts, and if a logo must be used (*grumble*) then I
> > would definitely prefer it to be 100% white. Personally, I don't see a
> > need for graphical icons in the framebuffer, but if they're going to be
> > used, it should be as subtle as possible.
> >
> > All of the new logos are now available at http://www.archlinux.org/art/,
> > including an all-white version.
>
> http://www.archlinux.org/logos/archlinux-official-white.svg
>
> My eyes! The goggles do nothing! I can't see!

How do i shot goggles?