Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Thomas Bächler

Default New core package: linux-firmware

As a followup to a discussion on [arch-general] in the Linux 2.6.34
thread ([1] and others), I think we should do the following:

- Create a linux-firmware package from the linux-firmware.git tree.
- Make that package conflict and replace all other firmware that it
obsoletes:
replaces=('kernel26-firmware'
'ar9170-fw'
'iwlwifi-1000-ucode'
'iwlwifi-3945-ucode'
'iwlwifi-4965-ucode'
'iwlwifi-5000-ucode'
'iwlwifi-5150-ucode'
'iwlwifi-6000-ucode'
'rt2870usb-fw'
'rt2x00-rt61-fw'
'rt2x00-rt71w-fw')
All other firmware packages contain only files that are not part of
linux-firmware.
- Remove the firmware from the kernel26 PKGBUILD, only use the
linux-firmware package instead

I'm putting a package with the according conflicts/replaces to testing.
Please comment, test it thoroughly and give feedback.

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2010-May/013329.html

Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 19.05.2010 23:39, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> As a followup to a discussion on [arch-general] in the Linux 2.6.34
> thread ([1] and others), I think we should do the following:
>
> - Create a linux-firmware package from the linux-firmware.git tree.
> - Make that package conflict and replace all other firmware that it
> obsoletes:
> replaces=('kernel26-firmware'
> 'ar9170-fw'
> 'iwlwifi-1000-ucode'
> 'iwlwifi-3945-ucode'
> 'iwlwifi-4965-ucode'
> 'iwlwifi-5000-ucode'
> 'iwlwifi-5150-ucode'
> 'iwlwifi-6000-ucode'
> 'rt2870usb-fw'
> 'rt2x00-rt61-fw'
> 'rt2x00-rt71w-fw')
> All other firmware packages contain only files that are not part of
> linux-firmware.
> - Remove the firmware from the kernel26 PKGBUILD, only use the
> linux-firmware package instead
>
> I'm putting a package with the according conflicts/replaces to testing.
> Please comment, test it thoroughly and give feedback.
>
> [1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2010-May/013329.html

Apparently, replaces= won't work until we remove the kernel26-firmware
package. We can do that on the next kernel rebuild. Please run pacman -S
linux-firmware manually for now.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Dan McGee

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 20/05/10 07:55, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>>
>> Am 19.05.2010 23:39, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
>>>
>>> As a followup to a discussion on [arch-general] in the Linux 2.6.34
>>> thread ([1] and others), I think we should do the following:
>>>
>>> - Create a linux-firmware package from the linux-firmware.git tree.
>>> - Make that package conflict and replace all other firmware that it
>>> obsoletes:
>>> replaces=('kernel26-firmware'
>>> * * * * * *'ar9170-fw'
>>> * * * * * *'iwlwifi-1000-ucode'
>>> * * * * * *'iwlwifi-3945-ucode'
>>> * * * * * *'iwlwifi-4965-ucode'
>>> * * * * * *'iwlwifi-5000-ucode'
>>> * * * * * *'iwlwifi-5150-ucode'
>>> * * * * * *'iwlwifi-6000-ucode'
>>> * * * * * *'rt2870usb-fw'
>>> * * * * * *'rt2x00-rt61-fw'
>>> * * * * * *'rt2x00-rt71w-fw')
>>> All other firmware packages contain only files that are not part of
>>> linux-firmware.
>>> - Remove the firmware from the kernel26 PKGBUILD, only use the
>>> linux-firmware package instead
>>>
>>> I'm putting a package with the according conflicts/replaces to testing.
>>> Please comment, test it thoroughly and give feedback.
>>>
>>> [1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2010-May/013329.html
>>>

>> Apparently, replaces= won't work until we remove the kernel26-firmware
>> package. We can do that on the next kernel rebuild. Please run pacman -S
>> linux-firmware manually for now.
>>

> The kernel26 package depends on the firmware in a versioned manner, so you would need a versioned provides.
>
> As an aside, should this be an optdepend or a hard depend for the kernel package?

Probably should be:
* not a versioned depend (fix in next rebuild)
* hard depend; yes there are people that might not need it but they
are few and far between so its not worth it here

-Dan

Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 20.05.2010 00:01, schrieb Allan McRae:
>> Apparently, replaces= won't work until we remove the kernel26-firmware
>> package. We can do that on the next kernel rebuild. Please run pacman -S
>> linux-firmware manually for now.
>>

> The kernel26 package depends on the firmware in a versioned manner, so
> you would need a versioned provides.

There IS a versioned provides.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Allan McRae