Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
"Travis Willard"

Default Logo inside packages

Hey guys,

What do we plan to do about our logo inside packages? For example, we
have a framebuffer logo in kernel26, I think we customized an office
suite splash screen (open office?), and perhaps other packages I don't
know about.

Instead of updating them to the current logo, I suggest we remove them
altogether. It kind of deviates from the as-vanilla-as-possible
packaging goal, doesn't it?

--
Travis

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/1/14, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org>:
> Hey guys,
>
> What do we plan to do about our logo inside packages? For example, we
> have a framebuffer logo in kernel26, I think we customized an office
> suite splash screen (open office?), and perhaps other packages I don't
> know about.
>
> Instead of updating them to the current logo, I suggest we remove them
> altogether. It kind of deviates from the as-vanilla-as-possible
> packaging goal, doesn't it?

See previous thread:
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/002840.html

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 01-14-2008, 02:23 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/1/14, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com>:
> 2008/1/14, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org>:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > What do we plan to do about our logo inside packages? For example, we
> > have a framebuffer logo in kernel26, I think we customized an office
> > suite splash screen (open office?), and perhaps other packages I don't
> > know about.
> >
> > Instead of updating them to the current logo, I suggest we remove them
> > altogether. It kind of deviates from the as-vanilla-as-possible
> > packaging goal, doesn't it?
> >

> See previous thread:
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/002840.html

My subjective summary:
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/002975.html

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
"Travis Willard"

On Jan 14, 2008 10:23 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/1/14, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com>:
> > See previous thread:
> > http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/002840.html
> >

> My subjective summary:
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/002975.html

I recall that thread, now that you mention it... I thought I sounded
off during that discussion but it looks like I kept silent.

I brought it up again since we've got the new logo on the site now,
and people are making noise on the forums to get the kernel logo
updated. People are just hard to please, heh. :P

Anyway, a decision should be made - either take 'em out, or update 'em.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

One feature request already opened: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9207

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 14, 2008 9:31 AM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 10:23 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/1/14, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com>:
> > > See previous thread:
> > > http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/002840.html
> > >

> > My subjective summary:
> > http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/002975.html
>
> I recall that thread, now that you mention it... I thought I sounded
> off during that discussion but it looks like I kept silent.
>
> I brought it up again since we've got the new logo on the site now,
> and people are making noise on the forums to get the kernel logo
> updated. People are just hard to please, heh. :P
>
> Anyway, a decision should be made - either take 'em out, or update 'em.

Well, Thayer has recommended we remove it because the logo loses most
of the effect in the craptacular colors provided by the initial VGA
framebuffer.... me, I'm neutral. I don't reboot enough for that image
to be relevant.

I *do* think that we should remove the custom splash screens from
apps, but I also believe the decision is up to the maintainers of the
apps themselves.